Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Mountain Lion, GA-Z77X-UD5H, i7 3770 Ivy Bridge, GTX 670

Status
Not open for further replies.
After trying to iron out system instability crashes (the system boots but the display shows a gray curtain going down and crashes, all during the initial post installation work though) I've found that keeping ML vanilla as much as possible is best. Installing the nvidia patches through multibeast makes the system crash and tbh.. can't see why I need them. The ML/iTunes 10.8.2.+ update went well it seems.

ATM I have one nagging issue remaining and that is that I can't seem to get the bootloader right. For some reason no matter how many times I install chameleon or chimera it still shows the original iboot loader i used on my USB stick to install ML. I've tried installing the bootloader to my windows partition and to the MAC sys partition but the bootloader remains the same.

I also found bugs in chameleon wizard which for some reason doesn't like the GraphicsEnabler=No flag so I've edited it in myself.

System seems to be running ok now.. Sleep works, audio works although I have yet to get HDMI-audio-out out to work (it simply doesn't show up). For the moment I have my monitor hooked up via HDMI but the HDMI audio doesn't show up.

I've let go of the idea to try to install ML on the same disk as my windows install (my SSD). As it is it is sitting on a 200gb partition on my 2TB barracuda drive. All seems well.

My hardware specs differ a bit of the OP ones in that I've used 2x8 corsair vengeance memory, a eVGA GTX 670 FTW.

If anyone could shed some light on how to get the HDMI audio working I would appreciate it.

>>

Actually I was wrong on the bootloader... I thought I had set bios to NOT boot from the USB stick but it was. Without the stick I get a bootmgr error, not being able to find it.. Haven't found a solution yet.

After trying to iron out system instability crashes (the system boots but the display shows a gray curtain going down and crashes, all during the initial post installation work though) I've found that keeping ML vanilla as much as possible is best. Installing the nvidia patches through multibeast makes the system crash and tbh.. can't see why I need them. The ML/iTunes 10.8.2.+ update went well it seems.

ATM I have one nagging issue remaining and that is that I can't seem to get the bootloader right. For some reason no matter how many times I install chameleon or chimera it still shows the original iboot loader i used on my USB stick to install ML. I've tried installing the bootloader to my windows partition and to the MAC sys partition but the bootloader remains the same.

I also found bugs in chameleon wizard which for some reason doesn't like the GraphicsEnabler=No flag so I've edited it in myself.

System seems to be running ok now.. Sleep works, audio works although I have yet to get HDMI-audio-out out to work (it simply doesn't show up). For the moment I have my monitor hooked up via HDMI but the HDMI audio doesn't show up.

I've let go of the idea to try to install ML on the same disk as my windows install (my SSD). As it is it is sitting on a 200gb partition on my 2TB barracuda drive. All seems well.

My hardware specs differ a bit of the OP ones in that I've used 2x8 corsair vengeance memory, a eVGA GTX 670 FTW.

If anyone could shed some light on how to get the HDMI audio working I would appreciate it.

>>

Actually I was wrong on the bootloader... I thought I had set bios to NOT boot from the USB stick but it was. Without the stick I get a bootmgr error, not being able to find it.. Haven't found a solution yet.

Hmm. As far as the bootloader, the boot screen you see on the USB drive and on Chimera should look the same. Make sure you are trying to boot to the OSX partition and not the windows drive.

As far as HDMI audio, there is a subforum on here called "audio" and there are guides there to get HDMI audio. I'm personally not using HDMI audio, so I haven't attempted it yet.

Yeah I'll check out the audio subforum or other sources ofc.. Just thought maybe you or someone else had a solution for this particular setup.

I see that a custom DSDT is probably needed for it.. Hate diving into the whole custom DSDT thing again... :silent:

Yeah I'll check out the audio subforum or other sources ofc.. Just thought maybe you or someone else had a solution for this particular setup.

I see that a custom DSDT is probably needed for it.. Hate diving into the whole custom DSDT thing again... :silent:

Yeah, I had to do DSDT edits on my Lenovo laptop to get everything working...was interesting. As a computer engineer, however, I found it kind of interesting. And then seeing things work was always pretty satisfying. I still hate AML code though :X

Hey guys,

Thanks for the thread. I was wondering about my build; I have:

GA-Z77x-UP5TH
i7 3770k
GTX 670

Everything seems to be booting up fine from the initial install. I'm reading mixed things though: some threads say to now run multibeast again and install the OpenCL fix, reboot, then run multibeast again and install the NVIDIA 6xx files. Also, should I install the Nvidia CUDA drivers for mac?

Thanks,
BTKO

Hey guys,

Thanks for the thread. I was wondering about my build; I have:

GA-Z77x-UP5TH
i7 3770k
GTX 670

Everything seems to be booting up fine from the initial install. I'm reading mixed things though: some threads say to now run multibeast again and install the OpenCL fix, reboot, then run multibeast again and install the NVIDIA 6xx files. Also, should I install the Nvidia CUDA drivers for mac?

Thanks,
BTKO

I'm pretty sure the Multibeast options for the NVIDIA 660/670/680 were removed from the latest version of multibeast. I don't think they are necessary anymore.

12. Fixing updates and sleep mode in Windows: we need to install a custom "boot0md" onto the MBR partition of our Windows drive. First, in Windows, make sure that the Windows partition is marked as "Active" in the control panel. Next, boot back into OSX. Open terminal and cd to the directory where the "boot0md" file is located. Run "diskutil list" to get a list of the disks on the system. Note the system which has Windows installed (for this example, say it's disk0). Run "sudo fdisk440 -f /path/to/boot0md -u /dev/rdisk0" (if Windows was installed on disk0). It should ask for your root password, enter it. It will prompt you to write to the MBR, answer with "y." Reboot and go to the BIOS settings. Set your boot order to boot into your Windows drive first. This will allow you to take advantage of this modified boot0 loader. Sleep and updates should now work when selecting Windows from the Chimera boot menu.

13. Customizing the boot menu: make sure in the BIOS you are booting to the hard drive which includes the Windows partition. The modified boot0md will dynamically look for Chimera on your other drive (this fixes sleep in Windows). Now go to your boot.plist file and modify the timeout to the amount of seconds you would like to choose between Windows or OSX. You can also set the "Default Partition," "Hide Partition," and "Rename Partition" attributes in this file. To find out which values to set, restart the machine and quickly hit the "tab" key when it is booting. This will show you the actual hard drive mappings as chosen by Chimera (e.g. hd(0,1)). Use these values for setting the default partition and hiding partitions. To rename a partition, use the syntax "'Partition to rename' NewName" The NewName cannot have spaces.

First I want to say thank you, without this guide there wouldn't be snowballs chance in hell I'd get my Hack built.

Here is my system:

GA-Z77-UD5H
i7 3770k (factory clocks for now)
Corrsair 8GB DDR 3 (1600 mhz)
Evga GTX 580
OCZ Vertex 4 (256) / Crucial M4 (128)
Pioneer 205 BDR
Custom Watercooling loop

Now, I'm up and running smoothly after a few hiccups. First problem was booting after the apple screen on the unibeast install (10.8.2), I needed to boot PCIRootUID=0. Not sure why but it worked. I installed with your Mulit-beast settings, minus the Nvidia 6xx settings. Currently I'm dual booting to Win 7/ OSX installed on two separate hard drives. Everything boots fine via Chimera (non UEFI Win 7 instal), I can select either OSX or Win 7 from the boot loader screen.

Here is my issue: I started running updates for windows 7 and failed the SP1 update... did a little more research which lead me to the boot0md "mod". I tried reading the link you posted and steps 12/13 but I'm completely lost. Could you possibly provide an idiots guide to steps 12 and 13?

I was able to get SP1 installed by disconnecting the OSX drive and setting the Win7 drive to the primary boot drive "P0" in the bios. After the updates ran and completed I shutdown, disconnected the Win 7 drive, plugged in the OSX drive, changed bios settings to boot OSX as primary and all was good. Chimera bootloader worked fine and I could select either OSX or Win7. I also ran the "TimeIsUniversal" Windows 7 regedit to correct the time zone issues.

Do I have to even use the boot0md "mod" or can I continue to run windows in the manner I did to update SP1? Every time I update Win 7, disconnect the OSX drive and follow my procedure above? I would like to get the boot0md working if it will fix other problems I have yet to experience too.

Off Topic: I could not find this bios setting in F14, does it exist?

Code:
BIOS Features
     VT-d: Disabled (only for 10.8.2 update)

9. iCloud / Mac App Store fix: Make sure "EthernetBuiltIn=Yes" is set in your boot.plist. If after a restart this doesn't fix it, go to the network preferences in settings and remove all network connections. Then go to Library/Preferences/System Configuration and move NetworkInterfaces.plist to the desktop. Restart the system. Go back into settings, and re-add your network connections, starting with ethernet.

Does this also fix iMessage problems? My Mac App Store works perfectly but for some reason I can not get iMessage to work, I enter apple user id/pw and it connects then the connection fails 30 seconds later. How to I check my boot.plist? Could you elaborate?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

First I want to say thank you, without this guide there wouldn't be snowballs chance in hell I'd get my Hack built.

Here is my system:

GA-Z77-UD5H
i7 3770k (factory clocks for now)
Corrsair 8GB DDR 3 (1600 mhz)
Evga GTX 580
OCZ Vertex 4 (256) / Crucial M4 (128)
Pioneer 205 BDR
Custom Watercooling loop

Now, I'm up and running smoothly after a few hiccups. First problem was booting after the apple screen on the unibeast install (10.8.2), I needed to boot PCIRootUID=0. Not sure why but it worked. I installed with your Mulit-beast settings, minus the Nvidia 6xx settings. Currently I'm dual booting to Win 7/ OSX installed on two separate hard drives. Everything boots fine via Chimera (non UEFI Win 7 instal), I can select either OSX or Win 7 from the boot loader screen.

Here is my issue: I started running updates for windows 7 and failed the SP1 update... did a little more research which lead me to the boot0md "mod". I tried reading the link you posted and steps 12/13 but I'm completely lost. Could you possibly provide an idiots guide to steps 12 and 13?

I was able to get SP1 installed by disconnecting the OSX drive and setting the Win7 drive to the primary boot drive "P0" in the bios. After the updates ran and completed I shutdown, disconnected the Win 7 drive, plugged in the OSX drive, changed bios settings to boot OSX as primary and all was good. Chimera bootloader worked fine and I could select either OSX or Win7. I also ran the "TimeIsUniversal" Windows 7 regedit to correct the time zone issues.

Do I have to even use the boot0md "mod" or can I continue to run windows in the manner I did to update SP1? Every time I update Win 7, disconnect the OSX drive and follow my procedure above? I would like to get the boot0md working if it will fix other problems I have yet to experience too.

Off Topic: I could not find this bios setting in F14, does it exist?

Code:
BIOS Features
     VT-d: Disabled (only for 10.8.2 update)

Does this also fix iMessage problems? My Mac App Store works perfectly but for some reason I can not get iMessage to work, I enter apple user id/pw and it connects then the connection fails 30 seconds later. How to I check my boot.plist? Could you elaborate?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.
Thanks for the kind words and reading my thread.

The boot0md mod is something I found on another site, I want to start by saying that I do not take any credit for creating it! The people who work on the Chameleon bootloader worked on it, and it's great if you're dualbooting Windows.

I first saw my issues when I was updating to SP1 as well - it kept failing. I could not for the life of me figure out why it kept failing, that's when I came across the boot0md mod. It also supposed to fix sleep mode (have you tried sleeping in Win7 yet? It likely won't work if you boot into the OSX drive and select your windows partition from Chimera). Here is the original link to the boot0md mod: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,2091.0.html

Take a look through the thread above. That's how I figured it out (mainly, last page of the thread, one of the more knowledgeable devs walks through a user trying to install it). If you still have problems, I could possibly do a step-by-step guide with some pics when I get some time (probably not until at least the weekend).

As far as the VT-d change in the BIOS: it might not show up if you're using the 3770k because it does not support VT-d, but I still think it should be there. However, if you can boot into 10.8.2 with the option enabled, there is no reason to disable it. When I updated from 10.8.1 to 10.8.2, I was unable to boot into ML until I disabled it.

For iMessage: apparently something changed in the last month that has made it stop working with Chimera bootloader. See this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/84047-imessage-wont-work.html Maybe Apple is trying to stop us from using it :( Looks like a workaround is to install an alternate bootloader.

Thanks for all the great info mate. I re-read the last page and it seems pretty straight forward now. I've downloaded the boot0md file from the first page in your article. And I understand the terminal coding and what to type. My only question is navigating terminal to the directory where the boot0md file is located.

Open terminal and cd to the directory where the "boot0md" file is located.

I dont know what "cd to the directory" means. The boot0md file I've downloaded from here is located at:

Code:
 /Users/SpinCykle/Downloads/boot0md

Do i need to head over to http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,2091.60.html and download the latest version of the file?

Once I've navigated ternimal to the directory where the boot0md file is located I would run this terminal code correct?

Code:
 sudo fdisk440 -f /Users/SpinCykle/Downloads/boot0md -u /dev/rdisk0

rdisk0 = Win7 disk MBR

After complete reboot.

Del to enter bios on POST

Set Win 7 Drive as primary boot drive.

Done?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back