Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Mountain Lion, GA-Z77X-UD5H, i7 3770 Ivy Bridge, GTX 670

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the great info mate. I re-read the last page and it seems pretty straight forward now. I've downloaded the boot0md file from the first page in your article. And I understand the terminal coding and what to type. My only question is navigating terminal to the directory where the boot0md file is located.

I dont know what "cd to the directory" means. The boot0md file I've downloaded from here is located at:

Code:
 /Users/SpinCykle/Downloads/boot0md

Do i need to head over to http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,2091.60.html and download the latest version of the file?

Once I've navigated ternimal to the directory where the boot0md file is located I would run this terminal code correct?

Code:
 sudo fdisk440 -f /Users/SpinCykle/Downloads/boot0md -u /dev/rdisk0

rdisk0 = Win7 disk MBR

After complete reboot.

Del to enter bios on POST

Set Win 7 Drive as primary boot drive.

Done?

Yes, that's about it. When it says "cd to the directory" I meant exactly what you did - change to the directory including the boot0md file.

You might also need to download the fdisk440 tool, which I didn't include in the first post. You can get the latest boot0md and fdisk440 from the Chameleon binaries, which you can find here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/231075-chameleon-22svn-official-pkg-installer-binaries/

Make sure you download the BINARIES and not the PKG file (i386.zip file). From here, drag the fdisk440 and boot0md into your downloads folder (or desktop, or really anywhere) then open up Terminal. Change to that directory in terminal. Run your command (assuming rdisk0 is your Windows drive), and you should be good to go!

Test sleep mode and see what happens.

Thanks for the kind words and reading my thread.

The boot0md mod is something I found on another site, I want to start by saying that I do not take any credit for creating it! The people who work on the Chameleon bootloader worked on it, and it's great if you're dualbooting Windows.

I first saw my issues when I was updating to SP1 as well - it kept failing. I could not for the life of me figure out why it kept failing, that's when I came across the boot0md mod. It also supposed to fix sleep mode (have you tried sleeping in Win7 yet? It likely won't work if you boot into the OSX drive and select your windows partition from Chimera). Here is the original link to the boot0md mod: http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,2091.0.html

Take a look through the thread above. That's how I figured it out (mainly, last page of the thread, one of the more knowledgeable devs walks through a user trying to install it). If you still have problems, I could possibly do a step-by-step guide with some pics when I get some time (probably not until at least the weekend).

As far as the VT-d change in the BIOS: it might not show up if you're using the 3770k because it does not support VT-d, but I still think it should be there. However, if you can boot into 10.8.2 with the option enabled, there is no reason to disable it. When I updated from 10.8.1 to 10.8.2, I was unable to boot into ML until I disabled it.

For iMessage: apparently something changed in the last month that has made it stop working with Chimera bootloader. See this thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/84047-imessage-wont-work.html Maybe Apple is trying to stop us from using it :( Looks like a workaround is to install an alternate bootloader.

Why would the virtualization setting not show up on the 3770K? Shows up on mine. AFAIK the difference between the 3770 and the 3770K is that the 3770K is unlocked for turbo boost/OCing.

>> actually you are correct.. A big oversight on my behalf and something I'm boinking my head against the wall for... crap.... ah well.. My VM work will have to do without it then.

BTW I'm in the process of rebuilding my disk setup.. I've decided my other Samsung 840 Pro has more purpose in my beast right so I'm gonna setup a RAID-0 with 2x 840 Pro's 256Gb. Might even decide to go for a Raid-0/1 mirror setup with the Intel 7 Raid although my 2TB drive should be plenty for backup/image purposes of the bootdrive(s). Just hoping I can get the bootloader running on a RAID-0 partition.. :)

I'm pretty sure the Multibeast options for the NVIDIA 660/670/680 were removed from the latest version of multibeast. I don't think they are necessary anymore.

Indeed... They caused horrible trouble for me even using one of the video driver options on multibeast.. Perhaps something that you could edit on your OP? :) As far as I've seen the GTX 670 works just fine without any additional kext/multibeast updating..

Yes, that's about it. When it says "cd to the directory" I meant exactly what you did - change to the directory including the boot0md file.

You might also need to download the fdisk440 tool, which I didn't include in the first post. You can get the latest boot0md and fdisk440 from the Chameleon binaries, which you can find here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/231075-chameleon-22svn-official-pkg-installer-binaries/

Make sure you download the BINARIES and not the PKG file (i386.zip file). From here, drag the fdisk440 and boot0md into your downloads folder (or desktop, or really anywhere) then open up Terminal. Change to that directory in terminal. Run your command (assuming rdisk0 is your Windows drive), and you should be good to go!

Test sleep mode and see what happens.

Thanks cobra! Sleep seems to be working in Win 7, it does take the computer about 10 seconds to fully power down the fans and everything but it does sleep and wake up just fine.

I didn't download the fdisk440/boot0md chamelon BINARIES, some of that stuff is still over my head. Although I need to learn it. It appears if you switch from the Chimera bootloader to the Chamelon one you can get iMessage working. How ever I don't have a clue yet how to switch bootloaders like that yet. Need to do more research.

FYI my USB 3.0 shows up in system report but does not read and USB 3.0 drives/USB sticks. The 4 ports on the back and two upfront from the USB header all function as USB 2.0. My next project is to get USB 3.0 working.

EDIT: USB 3.0 working by replacing 3rd party AHCI kext form Slugnets golden build!

Thanks again Mate!

Thanks cobra! Sleep seems to be working in Win 7, it does take the computer about 10 seconds to fully power down the fans and everything but it does sleep and wake up just fine.

I didn't download the fdisk440/boot0md chamelon BINARIES, some of that stuff is still over my head. Although I need to learn it. It appears if you switch from the Chimera bootloader to the Chamelon one you can get iMessage working. How ever I don't have a clue yet how to switch bootloaders like that yet. Need to do more research.

FYI my USB 3.0 shows up in system report but does not read and USB 3.0 drives/USB sticks. The 4 ports on the back and two upfront from the USB header all function as USB 2.0. My next project is to get USB 3.0 working.

EDIT: USB 3.0 working by replacing 3rd party AHCI kext form Slugnets golden build!

Thanks again Mate!
Glad to see things are working for you! If sleep works without the boot0md mod, then there really is no need to add it. You already have SP1, which is the other benefit of it.

Also good to hear about the USB 3.0. I'll have to check that out once I get my first USB 3.0 drive (yeah, I'm a little behind lol).

Why would the virtualization setting not show up on the 3770K? Shows up on mine. AFAIK the difference between the 3770 and the 3770K is that the 3770K is unlocked for turbo boost/OCing.

>> actually you are correct.. A big oversight on my behalf and something I'm boinking my head against the wall for... crap.... ah well.. My VM work will have to do without it then.

BTW I'm in the process of rebuilding my disk setup.. I've decided my other Samsung 840 Pro has more purpose in my beast right so I'm gonna setup a RAID-0 with 2x 840 Pro's 256Gb. Might even decide to go for a Raid-0/1 mirror setup with the Intel 7 Raid although my 2TB drive should be plenty for backup/image purposes of the bootdrive(s). Just hoping I can get the bootloader running on a RAID-0 partition.. :)

Indeed... They caused horrible trouble for me even using one of the video driver options on multibeast.. Perhaps something that you could edit on your OP? :) As far as I've seen the GTX 670 works just fine without any additional kext/multibeast updating..
Yeah, there's a lot I want to go back and change/update in the guide. For the most part, it's still recent, but there's a couple things I've changed in the last few pages of this thread that should go in the OP. I just gotta find the time to sit down and make the changes.

Also good to hear about the USB 3.0. I'll have to check that out once I get my first USB 3.0 drive (yeah, I'm a little behind lol).

After I replaced the the 3rd party AHCI kext for USB 3.0 support my shutdown process hasn't felt as smooth. OSX shuts down right away but the acutal computer/fans/mobo are still powered on... this could be for as short as 3 seconds to as long as 10 seconds. Before I updated the kext as soon as OSX shutdown and the monitor went black the computer would power down too!

I have no idea whats causing it either... maybe i should try repair disk permissions after changing that kext. Any thoughts?

As far as the VT-d change in the BIOS: it might not show up if you're using the 3770k because it does not support VT-d, but I still think it should be there. However, if you can boot into 10.8.2 with the option enabled, there is no reason to disable it. When I updated from 10.8.1 to 10.8.2, I was unable to boot into ML until I disabled it.

First let me say thank you to the OP for the thread, I have almost the exact setup, and this has been a great help.

As far as VT, its in the BIOS. I turned it back on after installation in order to get my VMs to work (Win 7 - 64). I could not get it to install correctly until I turned it off but Fusion required it ON.

Here is my setup if it helps

Mountain Lion 10.8.2 (Emulating an iMAC
GA-Z77X-UD5H
7 3770 Ivy Bridge
Gigabyte GTX 650
Crucial 4m 128
2 Intel 40GB SSD
1 Hitachi 1 TB

One issue I still have is on occasion, the machine will not boot up at all. The power starts, fans start, I see the LED codes start to run by and then - dead stop. Any ideas?

After I replaced the the 3rd party AHCI kext for USB 3.0 support my shutdown process hasn't felt as smooth. OSX shuts down right away but the acutal computer/fans/mobo are still powered on... this could be for as short as 3 seconds to as long as 10 seconds. Before I updated the kext as soon as OSX shutdown and the monitor went black the computer would power down too!

I have no idea whats causing it either... maybe i should try repair disk permissions after changing that kext. Any thoughts?

Hmm...that just might a side affect of the kext. What I would do is rollback the kext (remove it) and see if the problem indeed does go away. If it does, then you can be certain that it is the kext. If it is, maybe google/search the forums if anyone else is having the issue.

First let me say thank you to the OP for the thread, I have almost the exact setup, and this has been a great help.

As far as VT, its in the BIOS. I turned it back on after installation in order to get my VMs to work (Win 7 - 64). I could not get it to install correctly until I turned it off but Fusion required it ON.

Here is my setup if it helps

Mountain Lion 10.8.2 (Emulating an iMAC
GA-Z77X-UD5H
7 3770 Ivy Bridge
Gigabyte GTX 650
Crucial 4m 128
2 Intel 40GB SSD
1 Hitachi 1 TB

One issue I still have is on occasion, the machine will not boot up at all. The power starts, fans start, I see the LED codes start to run by and then - dead stop. Any ideas?

Hmm...very odd. So you installed OSX with VT-d off, but now you are able to boot with it on? I'm unable to boot into 10.8.2 with VT-d on unless I rollback my AppleACPIPlatform kext. Maybe try turning off VT-d and see if that solves your issue? Although it sounds like you rely on VT-d for other things.

I also noticed you said "emulating an iMac." I'm using the default (Mac Pro 3,0) and haven't had any issues.

Cool, thx for the answers.

I also noticed some of the Z77 boards use different controllers for audio (VIA) so I'll be paying close attention to this when I make a definitive choice as I have no idea if they will work (the VIA ones). If Only one of the Ethernet ports isn't working atm on ML I could live with that as long as it has 1 working outlet. The more serious issue could potentially be that I want a working dual band connection to my netgear dual band router. Not sure how that would work out as it seems the most recomended PCI adapter people choose is sort of hard to get where I live.

Guess reading through your nice guide and this entire thread has given me enough info to get started (good thing I already hacked a G73JH into a working hackintosh)... That is: once I convince myself to spend 800-900 on a new system (I will probably cannibalise another system for the case and maybe a few other things).

sublightnova can u plz give me guide to make my g73jh-a1 work with ML 10.8.2 and ur extra folder with links help

Hello! im finally going to sell my MacBook Pro for an Hackingtosh..

I wrote in this thread before i know, but it has gone some time, what do you think about this build?

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX
Intel Core i7 3770K 3,5Ghz (Ivy Bridge)
Corsair 16GB (2x8192MB) CL11 1600Mhz XMS3 <- Lots of RAM! :D
EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 3072MB Superclocked+

Screen:
BenQ 24'' XL2411T 120Hz

Chassi and powerplant ;)
Fractal Design Arc black <- maybe going to change this..
Fractal Design Newton R3, 600W 80+ Platinum, Modular

I have home:
Samsung 256GB SSD
Intel 520 80GB
and two harddrives 1,5TB and 2TB
That bluetooth they recommend in the build list thing..

Hello! im finally going to sell my MacBook Pro for an Hackingtosh..

I wrote in this thread before i know, but it has gone some time, what do you think about this build?

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H ATX
Intel Core i7 3770K 3,5Ghz (Ivy Bridge)
Corsair 16GB (2x8192MB) CL11 1600Mhz XMS3 <- Lots of RAM! :D
EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti 3072MB Superclocked+

Screen:
BenQ 24'' XL2411T 120Hz

Chassi and powerplant ;)
Fractal Design Arc black <- maybe going to change this..
Fractal Design Newton R3, 600W 80+ Platinum, Modular

I have home:
Samsung 256GB SSD
Intel 520 80GB
and two harddrives 1,5TB and 2TB
That bluetooth they recommend in the build list thing..

Looks good to me! I don't see why that build would have any issues. The UD5H is a great mobo for building a hackintosh computer. I don't see why any of the other components would cause any issues.

By the way, I changed from my Antec 1200 case to a Fractal Design Define R4. My tower runs quite a bit hotter, but it is 10 times quieter. Really a great overall case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back