Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Mountain Lion, GA-Z77X-UD5H, i7 3770 Ivy Bridge, GTX 670

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can comment on the dual booting. I've multi-booting operating systems on several of my hacks. The best, indepth guide is by Going Bald: [Guide] MultiBooting for the novice.

There are several User Builds descriptions who've are using both of the motherboards you're considering, including me. I am using the UP5 TH because I think Thunderbolt will start coming into its own in 2013 with cheaper interface units and more Thunderbolt monitors. Check out the Golden Builds build descriptions, too.

As with any new project, there are things that will and won't work until the BIOS matures. We're getting there with the 7 series motherboards.:D

I probably won't get into multi-booting at all... Anyways I read somewhere that you should install OSX first????? This is the first time reading that you have to install Windows 7 for dual booting. Anyways.... I'll just go ahead and buy a Z77X UD5H. Just really *fingers-crossed* hope everything works out well in the end. :rolleyes:

No! The Guide tells you to install OS X last. The Guide is for dual booting, too. Read it while waiting for components to be delivered. :thumbup:

Uhhh Question.... Again I'm really sorry if this is stupid. But I'm guessing I have to install Windows via using a DVD right? I'm gonna install OSX on the USB though.... I'm sorry but I just have to make sure. Cuz' the PC I'm on was installed with a DVD and I'm not sure if you folks built something insane like a Windows USB installation like on the OSX... I'll just do what the guide says, again *fingers-crossed* hope everything works out!! Really kinda nervous about this :rolleyes: So I'm going to guess that some features like sleep and audio works perfectly on the Windows w/o any problems what so ever (unlike the OSX) Anyways going to be reading the Nooby tutorial thingie.... Any info about anything would be thankful. I'll try to respond as quickly as I can. :D

Uhhh Question.... Again I'm really sorry if this is stupid. But I'm guessing I have to install Windows via using a DVD right? I'm gonna install OSX on the USB though.... I'm sorry but I just have to make sure. Cuz' the PC I'm on was installed with a DVD and I'm not sure if you folks built something insane like a Windows USB installation like on the OSX... I'll just do what the guide says, again *fingers-crossed* hope everything works out!! Really kinda nervous about this :rolleyes: So I'm going to guess that some features like sleep and audio works perfectly on the Windows w/o any problems what so ever (unlike the OSX) Anyways going to be reading the Nooby tutorial thingie.... Any info about anything would be thankful. I'll try to respond as quickly as I can. :D

It's really not that difficult. You should be able to install Windows from either a USB drive or a DVD. When I set up my build, I installed Windows first via a DVD and then afterward used a USB stick (Unibeast) to install OSX Mountain Lion.

If you follow tutorials you really have nothing to lose. And if you screw up, you can always retry it. The only thing you have to lose is a little bit of time (but trust me the payoffs when you get it working are great)!

Also with your concerns with sleep - my UD5H sleeps perfectly now with all the correct BIOS settings. You should have nothing to worry about with that.

Hey sorry for not replying fast but just one more day till my parts arrive. I was just reading your build once again and I realized I don't have 2 SSD's and when installing Windows first. In the BIOS should I set my drive to AHCI or what? I'm going to be using my Intel 520 SSD on the Mac OSX boot. And just a single HDD for my Windows, anyways if it helps I'm going to be using Windows 7 Ultimate.

Also,

Happy New Year folks :D :headbang:

Hey UPDATE:

My parts arrived, built the whole thing, installed windows via your settings and installed OSX. Now ugh, I have problems with sleep on both Windows and Mac. Mac it just goes to sleep for a split second and then wakes up. On the other if Windows sleeps for a while (1 - 4) hours just completely doesn't come back on. The system boots up but then it goes off and on. And therefor I got NO signal to my monitor meaning I had to plug out my power cable. Also I have installed OSX on my SSD but I wanna have my files to my Seagate 1TB HDD (Music, Videos, Applications) you get the drill. Also my 1TB doesn't get recognized in my system. It does however get recognized in Disk Utility. But the 1TB HDD is Orange? Lol, weird I know but it's orange and does anyone know how to fix this?

Please Respond ASAP. Anyways thanks for the amazing tutorial.

MY SPECS:

i7 3770K
16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
1TB x2 Seagate HDD
1 Intel 520 SSD
GTX 660Ti
Z77X-UD5H (flashed to F14)
LG Blu Ray drive.

Amazingly fast. Thank you so much! I was nervous at first but I did it. I'm gonna go play Planetside 2 :headbang: on my Windows 7 Ultimate now ;DDDDDDDD

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 1.08.52 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 1.08.52 AM.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 193
Hmm...very odd that you're having sleep problems. I never had any sleep issues on Windows, only on Mac. Did you set the BIOS settings correctly?

It would probably help to do a few other searches on these forums. A lot of people have the UD5H mobo, and there's a couple of threads around here that troubleshoot sleep issues (a lot of them deal with change the XHCI settings in the BIOS). Unfortunately, I'm not exactly a hackintosh pro, so I might not be able to figure out the exact issue regarding your sleep.

Anyone else want to chime in to help our friend?

For anyone that still follows this thread, I have an update on how to sync iTunes libraries between Windows and Mac. I've created a helper program that can be run on the OSX side to determine if songs need added/removed. I've tested it on OSX 10.8.2 and OSX 10.7.5 using both iTunes 10 and iTunes 11.

The app works by comparing the XML files generated by iTunes to determine which songs are new/missing from the OSX library. First you need to select the "primary" library to read from, which would be your Windows iTunes library. The file you need to browse for is the .XML file in the iTunes folder (which is usually located in the "My Music" folder on your drive). It will read the library and display how many songs are in this library. Next you need to pick the secondary library, which is the library on your OSX machine (the local machine where you're running the program from). Again, this file is located in the "iTunes" folder which is in the "Music" directory under your user folder.

Once both libraries are selected, you can press the "sync" button to compare the libraries. The program will then display you a message notifying you if any songs need to be added or removed (if no songs need updated, you will also be notified that no changes are being made). You have one more chance to confirm these changes. If you hit "yes," it will open iTunes (if it isn't already opened) and run an Applescript command to make changes to the library.

Again, I've only had the chance to test it on my 2 personal hackintoshes that are dual booting OSX and Windows. USE THIS PROGRAM AT YOUR OWN RISK! However, if you're up to the risk and want to give it a try, post back with feedback and any bugs that you find.

Download iTLibSync v1.00 here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?8311wk80cp8d47h

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-06 at 5.02.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-06 at 5.02.38 PM.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 146
  • Screen Shot 2013-01-06 at 5.02.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-06 at 5.02.45 PM.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 170
Cobra - first off, thank you so much for the depth of this guide. It is invaluable.

I have ordered most of the parts for my similar build, and will finish ordering parts sometime this week. I'll state my components and then ask a couple questions that I didn't see concrete answers on before.

Cooler Master HAF 922 Case
Intel i7 3770K Processor
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB MoBo (sad when I realized the wifi won't work after I got it :cry:)
AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GPU
32GB G.SKILL Ripjaw RAM (originally wanted Corsair but the price on these (4x8GB) was unbeatable)
Crucial M4 256GB SSD for OS X
Seagate 3TB HDD for Windows (will add more HDDs in the future, or maybe on first build depending on funds)
Compatible DVD/Bluray drive (to be decided)
The WiFi card you posted earlier in this thread
Corsair 850W modular power supply

I'm really excited about the build. I've recently become very interested in photography and creating videos as a hobby, and the memory requirements depleted my MBP in about 3 months. I'm also eager to have quadruple the ram of my mbp, a real graphics card, and no sleep feature :lol:

Now for the questions:
1) Can I run windows 8 on this mobo? I get a free download from my school tech store and I wouldn't mind running it if possible. If I can't, I won't waste my time downloading it on my MBP and putting it on USB drive to put on Hackintash build.
2) I know the mobo doesn't run the native wifi, but will it run the native bluetooth? I assume not. If not, I will look into getting a bluetooth port. Its important for me to have wireless mouse/keyboard.
3) This is a question based on my novice nature, but this mobo says it supports 3D playback and the graphic card does too. If I have a 3D monitor, does this mean I can play 3D movies on it? I'd rarely use this feature, but it would be nice to have.

As an aside for anyone interested, I bought (well, received as a gift) this mobo for Christmas. It was bought from Newegg and I'm assuming it is version 1.1. This is purely based on the fact that it has the 8161 lan port, which I took from another post to mean it is the updated version. If this is true, then Newegg has these updated ones, though I'm not sure if the NON-WB version is updated to 1.1, as I (stupidly) got the WB one. If there is another place to look without it being installed, let me know and I'll check.

I'm sure I'll be back with more questions when all my parts are here! I can't wait to build. Thanks again for the depth of information you've provided!

PS - can't wait to try the iTunes sync program you made. I'll be sure to leave feedback once I get around to the build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back