Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Insane Cultist's X99 Workstation - GA-X99-UD4 - i7-5820K - 2x GTX 660 - 10.10.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that's what I'm mostly interested in is actual performance improvement in the X99 platform. A quick calculation is that upgrading my current system (X79 3930k) to an X99 would cost easily over $1000 (MoBo, CPU and RAM). If the overall speed improvements are only marginal, I don't really see the point.

My current 64bit Multi Geekbench scores are also in the 20k range which puts me above the new 6-Core Mac Pro (at about half the price).

For me to invest $1000+ on an upgrade I would really like to see those scores climb up toward the 25k-27k range.

I'm very curious as to what this system could do when overclocked to say a reasonable 4.5ghz range.

Personally, I don't think it's worth an upgrade from an X79 system at all. It was the right move for me coming from a 6 year old tower, but if you really need more horsepower, I'd say grab yourself a Xeon.

Update:

Picked up a 4K monitor. Section added to main post.

I received my hardware, and based on your posts and the temporary installation guide I am now up and running. I'm experimenting with the Thunderbolt II expansion card, but haven't had any success yet. The real world keeps getting in the way of my tests.

Congrats on your new system, Crashputer.

Update: I now have functional iMessage thanks to FileNVRAM 1.1.4 - I'm using the serial and MLB from a liquid damaged MacBook I purchased. Required a call as I was unable to attain the real ROM from the dead system, but seems good for now. It's very, very nice to have iMessage and FaceTime back on my desktop. A huge thank you to everyone who provides the tools and information here.

Hi all,
do you know why my (5820k x99UD4 OSX: 10.10.2) cpu is stuck at 3.6 ghz. it doesn't wants move up and down (idle).
wrong settings in the bios? EIST, etc...
Thanks

Hi all,
do you know why my (5820k x99UD4 OSX: 10.10.2) cpu is stuck at 3.6 ghz. it doesn't wants move up and down (idle).
wrong settings in the bios? EIST, etc...
Thanks

No power management in OS X. Not possible for the CPU to move out of its maximum frequency. Mine does the same at 3.4 GHz. Nothing that can be done right now.

No power management in OS X. Not possible for the CPU to move out of its maximum frequency. Mine does the same at 3.4 GHz. Nothing that can be done right now.

of course it is possible, my 5960X go up and down between x12 and x43. it just a good settings to have between the bios and the SSDT and actualy i have not succeded with a 5820k.

ok thanks i continue my search...

Also, the first core of the CPU seems to be under increasingly heavy workload (probably a fallback from no power management) but this does not seem to affect performance any more than the Geekbench results indicate.

Actually, it does, geekbench 32b doesn't overstress CPU0, but trust me, if some day, your heavy singlethreaded render meets CPU0, you'll go slower than a 2006 1,1 MacPro 2.66

right now, the only way to not have 50% system load on CPU0, which cripple this CPU performance, is right after a fresh unibeast install.
i try day after day to spot what could be the cause. i'm going crazier and crazier each day.

too bad no one seems to be interested by this. i keep reading "performance is not what i expected, but it works..."
cinbench, unlike geekbench, clearly shows that something is going wrong with CPU0 and system load.

CPU history in single CPU. depending your core-swapping luck, you may see a score between 60 and 120.
this screen was made with clover EFI, but it's the same with a multibeast post-install.
3tscsync-bad.png

with multi cpu, this drawback get less obvious, as others cores meet up. but your system could be unresponsive.
1tscsync-bad.jpg

After a fresh unibeast install (booting on the usb), with or without core swapping, your score should be between 140 and 147, everytime.
3tsc-chimeraOK2.jpg

same with multi cpu. your should have a solid performance closing by 1100 (Win7 score)
3tsc-chimeraOK.jpg

I keep digging, but i would really need some help.
Oh by the way, my spec is with GA-X99-UD5 and 5930K @stock speed. almost your UD4 5820K twin brother.

self reply as i will edit this post later

Well, it was a good day.
confirmed on insanely and tonymac that XHCI is guilty here.

basically, you want to DISABLE in bios :
- Legacy USB (if you're experiencing kernel panics with clover)
- XHCI hand-Off
- EHCI Hand-Off

then set XHCI driver to manual.

of course, don't forget to install genericusbxhci.kext

then you'll have full Usb 2.0 / 3.0 support, speed stepping AND, maximum power !
Yeppeeee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back