Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Insane Cultist's X99 Workstation - GA-X99-UD4 - i7-5820K - 2x GTX 660 - 10.10.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
self reply as i will edit this post later

Well, it was a good day.
confirmed on insanely and tonymac that XHCI is guilty here.

basically, you want to DISABLE in bios :
- Legacy USB (if you're experiencing kernel panics with clover)
- XHCI hand-Off
- EHCI Hand-Off

then set XHCI driver to manual.

of course, don't forget to install genericusbxhci.kext

then you'll have full Usb 2.0 / 3.0 support, speed stepping AND, maximum power !
Yeppeeee

Thanks for this great info. Just hit 26k on a geekbench and have usb 3 support and computer working solid in Pro Tools HD now. You got it. XHCI driver manual is best setting after an hour of testing many settings. Still, I hear the fans a lot louder in OSX than in windows. In general on CPU I am getting low to mid 30s in windows, but for some reason when i boot into osx the temps shoot up to mid 50s even when idle. Any idea why that is? Is this a mistake in the software on OSX or is it really running a lot hotter?

Attachments

• rsz_screen_shot_2015-03-10_at_42449_am.png
    rsz_screen_shot_2015-03-10_at_42449_am.png
    50.9 KB · Views: 195
  • Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 12.10.32 AM (2).png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-12 at 12.10.32 AM (2).png
    338.8 KB · Views: 215
Thanks for this great info. Just hit 26k on a geekbench and have usb 3 support and computer working solid in Pro Tools HD now. You got it. XHCI driver manual is best setting after an hour of testing many settings. Still, I hear the fans a lot louder in OSX than in windows. In general on CPU I am getting low to mid 30s in windows, but for some reason when i boot into osx the temps shoot up to mid 50s even when idle. Any idea why that is? Is this a mistake in the software on OSX or is it really running a lot hotter?

While the XHCI bug does help with Speed Stepping, it's still not native power management. You are for sure going to have higher temps in OS X until we get real, native, working power management. My 5820K hovers between 90 and 100 degrees (F) in OS X, and peaks at about 110 under load, nowhere close to my Windows temps.

of course it is possible, my 5960X go up and down between x12 and x43. it just a good settings to have between the bios and the SSDT and actualy i have not succeded with a 5820k.

ok thanks i continue my search...

Could you please provide more info on this one ? Did you managed to get the 5960x OCed ? If so, what freq are you hitting, being stable and also recognizable by Mac Os ?

Well, it was a good day.

- XHCI hand-Off
- EHCI Hand-Off

then you'll have full Usb 2.0 / 3.0 support, speed stepping AND, maximum power !
Yeppeeee

Are those settings related to Gigabyte UD5 or could they be done with Asus also ?
I am asking since I am planning to make a new build and can't decide on Gigabyte and Asus mobo for a 5960x CPU.

Well, it was a good day.

- XHCI hand-Off
- EHCI Hand-Off

Yeppeeee

HOLY COW!!

Thank you, thank you!

I just put together an X99-UD4 box a couple days ago and while it generally seemed pretty fast in multicore stuff, just cruising around OSX, menu speed and such just seemed a little laggy compared to my late 2012 i7 iMac.

Also, none of the virtualization packages would run worth a damn. Tested Fusion, Parallels and Virtual Box. They were all slow beyond molasses. They would flat out hammer the first cpu core and performance was terrible. In Fusion it took like 2 hours just to boot into a Windows 7 setup screen.

These couple bios changes completely transformed the performance of this box. Everything is snappy and now virtualization is where it should be. Mad fast.

Thanks so much!

26k on a stock 5820? I'm only hitting 20k on mine with 22.5k overclocked to 3.8Ghz.

I adjusted my setting to similar to yours but no performance gain!

26k on a stock 5820? I'm only hitting 20k on mine with 22.5k overclocked to 3.8Ghz.

I adjusted my setting to similar to yours but no performance gain!

I am only hitting 20k on mine stock @ 64bit as well.

His must be OC'd to like 4.3 or 4.5 GHz.

Mine is water cooled, so gonna try 4.3GHz later tonight and see how it performs.

20k is about standard for stock. I've seen a push up to about 28k, but that was a solid 4.7GHz OC, and I don't feel comfortable around those voltages. 20K is plenty of horsepower for what I do.

FYI,

Still on my build following this guide and I am now on 10.10.4 with no major issues.

My iMessage is spotty though. Some messages sync, some do not. Not sure the cause as I haven't changed anything. Logging in and out does not fix the issue.

FYI,

Still on my build following this guide and I am now on 10.10.4 with no major issues.

My iMessage is spotty though. Some messages sync, some do not. Not sure the cause as I haven't changed anything. Logging in and out does not fix the issue.

Oddly, for my system, every time I perform a system update, the FileNVRAM kext causes a panic and has to be removed and reinstalled. I would give that a shot. iMessage does tend to be spotty in my experience, but not badly at all.

First off let me say great thread! It played a huge part in getting my new build off the ground (X99-UD4, 5820K, Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400 & GT 610 1024mb).

My only issue was that I couldn't boot without npci=0x2000, so I modified my org.chameleon.Boot.plist and as a result, was able to get the system to boot, but now the RAM shows up as 0 MHz - so I'm sure I didn't go about modifying it the right way.

Here goes my org.chameleon.Boot.plist - with the modification I did in bold/italics:

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>IGPEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000</string>
<string>kext-dev-mode=1</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>"1920x1080x32"</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>No</string>
</dict>

I also tried the following and got the same result:

<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1</string>

So my question is - what is the best way to add multiple kernel flags to a org.chameleon.Boot.plist file?

I'm really hoping I can use the current graphics card because it is is going to be an audio machine, so fanless/quiet and cost efficiency are some of the things that this card has going for it...

Any insight, comments suggestions etc would be much appreciated!

EDIT:As per recommendation from another thread, I added the krenel flag UseMemDetect=No and now all appears to be well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back