Contribute
Register

[Success] i9 7920X, ASUS PRIME X299-A, GTX1080Ti, ASUS Thunderbolt 3 (Lazy Guide)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the 2 tips, but I still can not ...
I'll continue researching.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-07-09 at 21.56.58.png
    Screenshot 2019-07-09 at 21.56.58.png
    215.4 KB · Views: 233
  • Screenshot 2019-07-09 at 21.57.48.png
    Screenshot 2019-07-09 at 21.57.48.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 238
Fixed with update for with macOs Catalina beta, Everything works perfectly, only a few apps are still not compatible, especially the drivers for Wacom tablet, very important to me (only available in August).

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-07-11 at 10.52.10.png
    Screenshot 2019-07-11 at 10.52.10.png
    80.2 KB · Views: 236
  • Screenshot 2019-07-11 at 10.59.17.png
    Screenshot 2019-07-11 at 10.59.17.png
    101.4 KB · Views: 259
  • Screenshot 2019-07-11 at 10.59.37.png
    Screenshot 2019-07-11 at 10.59.37.png
    93.9 KB · Views: 249
NOTE for Thunderbolt users: Windows activation is required before installing/booting into macOS.
Install Windows in UEFI mode w/o installed Thunderbolt card.
Install all drivers including the latest Thunderbolt drivers.
Plug the Thunderbolt card with a USB cable to the M/B and boot into Windows.
Update firmware using the tool from ASUS Support site.
Boot into Windows and check the Thunderbolt using your Thunderbolt device (an HDD was the fastest way for me).
If all is OK, unplug the card for now.

Thank you for the guide. I'm a total newbie at this but I have my build up and running with the exception of the Thunderbolt card. I have almost the exact same build that you used:

Asus Prime x299-A mother board, 12 core Intel Core i9-7920X CPU @ 2.90 GHz, Basic CPU liquid cooling, 1TB samsung 860 evo , AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB, Asus ThunderboltEX3, OSX Wifi Pc/Hackintosh, 128 GB DDR4 3000 MHz

The card was working in Windows 10 but I can't get it to recognize at all in OSX although it does power up.

If anyone has any thoughts I would really appreciate it.

Thank you for the guide. I'm a total newbie at this but I have my build up and running with the exception of the Thunderbolt card. I have almost the exact same build that you used:

Asus Prime x299-A mother board, 12 core Intel Core i9-7920X CPU @ 2.90 GHz, Basic CPU liquid cooling, 1TB samsung 860 evo , AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB, Asus ThunderboltEX3, OSX Wifi Pc/Hackintosh, 128 GB DDR4 3000 MHz

The card was working in Windows 10 but I can't get it to recognize at all in OSX although it does power up.

If anyone has any thoughts I would really appreciate it.
Hey @Wrenchenomics,

How is your Thunderbolt detected in Windows (Device manager) - 1577 or 15D2?

If it's 15D2, then I can't help because I have the same issue with these controllers - they are working (although, sometimes an additional restart is required) on Windows, you can see it on macOS (via IORegistryExplorer app) but none Thunderbolt devices are working on macOS (the USB port is working correctly though).

I'm going to switch to GC-Titan Ridge controller for the upcoming build (in few months).

Hey @Wrenchenomics,

If it's 15D2, then I can't help because I have the same issue with these controllers - they are working (although, sometimes an additional restart is required) on Windows, you can see it on macOS (via IORegistryExplorer app) but none Thunderbolt devices are working on macOS (the USB port is working correctly though).

I'm going to switch to GC-Titan Ridge controller for the upcoming build (in few months).

I actually installed OSX over Windows so it's no longer on my system.. which I'm thinking is actually why the TB is no longer being recognized. I'm going to install Windows again on another drive and see how it goes. I was hoping to not have it on the system because I'm afraid it will screw up my Hackintosh install.

ya.. same issue. 15D2. Weird thing is that when I'm in the OSX System Profiler under PCI is shows a GC-Titan Ridge controller (Thunderbolt and USB). I might pick up that card and give it a go as well.

Hey @Wrenchenomics,
It's detected as GC-Titan Ridge because of SSDT-X299A-TB3HP.aml file.

Attachments

• 123.png
    123.png
    63.7 KB · Views: 217
  • 124.png
    124.png
    82.5 KB · Views: 195
Hey @Wrenchenomics,

SUCCESS! I just installed the GC-Titan Ridge controller and after some fiddling I got it working. You do have to initialize each TB device in Windows first though.

According to @kgp's experience with this controller, hot-swap should be working w/o connected USB cable to the M/B.
Also, check the latest file for TB from @kgp's github repository.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back