Contribute
Register

Success - HP Spectre X360

Status
Not open for further replies.
@jaymonkey are you able to update to clover 5126? I updated but I could not boot into macos catelina with that so I had to rollback to 5120.

I am getting errors similar to ones that I got when I tried to boot with OC with internal SSD. OC boot with external USB works fine though. I tried this few months ago.

I am running opencore booting from internal SSD. Please see this other thread for further information.

Regards

Calan

Also, had to update to opencore 0.6.3 to finish installation of Big Sur 11.0.1.

Regards

Calan

I am running opencore booting from internal SSD. Please see this other thread for further information.

Regards

Calan
I can boot macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 too, but only from an external drive with OpenCore 0.6.3, or from the internal drive using Clover and the PreLoader.efi. Otherwise, if I try to boot from the InternalDrive using OpenCore, no matter if I use the PreLoader.efi, I can't boot macOS because it appears me the Keyboard icon at the top right of my screen. Did you have that issue too, and if so, how have you resolved it?

1605259091905.png
(This is an old picture so that you can see the Keyboard icon I'm referring too)

@jaymonkey are you able to update to clover 5126? I updated but I could not boot into macos catelina with that so I had to rollback to 5120/

@johnyg07,

Nope I'm still running Clover r 5107 on all my Hacks, IMO it's been the most stable release of Clover in a long time and runs Catalina with no problems whatsoever.

Clover release r5120 and beyond is a Hybrid bootloader where the GUI is still Clover but the low level bootloader itself uses much of OpenCore's code and extensions which require OC Quirks and settings to be added to Clover's config.plist.

I personally don't think this is the way forwards, either stick with an old version of Clover that does not use OC code and extensions or make the jump to OpenCore itself and don't bother with this hybrid bootloader approach.

If you are planning on running Big Sur then i recommend switching OpenCore outright. Personally I'm not planning to install Big Sur on any of my Hacks in foreseeable future, to me Big Sur's GUI is a step backwards for MacOS but thats just me but i can understand that some people do want to update.

There have been many many users caught out with updating Clover recently, before downloading and installing you must read the release notes. If you had read the release notes for Clover r5120 - r5126 you would have known that with each subsequent release more and more OpenCore code has been merged with Clover which requires you to add OC settings to your config.plist.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
EDIT: The problem mentioned in this post is fixed here.

@jaymonkey and others. Does your HP Spectre shutdown completely? I have an HP Envy x360 15m (Kaby Lake R i5-8250U / UHD620). I plan to post a guide (with Open Core) after I finish. The only issue I have remaining is that on Shut Down, my laptop power button LED remains on and the HD LED remains on. To complete shut down, I need to press and hold the power button. Sleep and restart work fine without any problems.

Does your HP Spectre shutdown completely?

Last edited:
Does your HP Spectre shutdown completely?

@deeveedee,

Yes my 2017 HP Spectre X360 Shutdowns with no issues at All.

However for daily use I am still using using Clover r5107 with a manually edited/injected DSDT.
One of those edits includes rehabmans MaciASL ACPI Patch - Shutdown Fix V2
Which patches the _PTS Method in the DSDT.

More info in his GitHub Repo here :-

You might be able to convert it to a SSDT Hot Patch.

I have done some testing with Opencore on my Spectre but so far have only been able to boot MacOS with a pre-patched DSDT which for OpenCore is less than optimal. Some of the DSDT edits are pretty hard to convert to SSDT hot patches such as the battery patching and I have not had much time to devote to recoding the MaciASL patches to a SSDT hot patches.

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey I have converted that shutdown to a hotpatch (simple renaming of _PTS to ZPTS and then injecting a new _PTS); however, that didn't fix the problem. I may switch back to Clover to test.

@jaymonkey My shutdown problem was fixed by added the classic "SLPE = 0" instruction to _PTS. Now my rig shuts down completely. I have needed this on all three of my laptop hacks (Thinkpad T61, Dell Latitude E6410 and now my HP Envy x360 15m Kabylake R). I don't think I ever noticed this common patch in Rehabman's patches, but I'm sure he must have known about it.

Last edited:
Just an update. Things had been stable on this hack up until I upgraded to 11.3. (running opencore 0.6.5)
Now the USB 3 ports work but do not detect or power USB2 devices... and my brightness control is fubar'd - so have to use external HDMI monitor... It appears that there are problems on detecting the USB2 hub during startup.

regards

Calan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back