RX6800-XT+UHD630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Confirmed working on 15" 2017 HP Spectre X360

I switched to Lilu and its plugins (whatevergreen, AppleALC & AirportBrcmFixup) some time ago ... having read that all of these plugins are now working with Mojave I decided it was time to give Mojave a go.

For those users who are new to Lilu i've written a new guide :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063/

As i have a very complicated partition map on the internal NVMe i wanted to keep HFS+ as the MacOS file system, as Apple have removed the option to skip APFS conversion in the Mojave Installer/Updater I used the cone method.

Method:
  • Updated Clover and installed ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi & AppleImageLoader-64.efi in /EFI/Clover/DriversUEFI
  • Using Carbon Copy Cloner I cloned the MacOS system internal NVMe SSD to a USB-C SSD
  • Manually copied the and EFI partition from the NVMe to the USB-C SSD to make it bootable.
  • Rebooted and boot from USB-C SSD Clone
  • Performed direct update to Mojave from App Store (for 10.14.1 & 10.14.2 updates I used the Combo Update)
  • laptop rebooted 3 or 4 times during the install/update.
  • Once Install/Update was complete on USB-C SSD I checked and tested that everything worked ok.
  • Final step is to clone MacOS form the USB-C SSD (now APFS formatted) back to HFS+ System partition on NVMe
Everything working except Audio (ALC295 codec has issues at the moment but the AppleALC Devs are working on it)
Had to remove VoodooIC2 kexts as currently it will cause a KP (Known issue and will be fixed in next release)

Surprising just what a difference the new Dark Mode makes to the feel of the OS, going back to Light Mode on High Sierra seems like a major step backwards ... I know its only cosmetic but i really does make Mojave fell like an all new OS.

Shame there is no way to install without apfs conversion but i guess Apple was was going to make APFS the new standard at some point.

Cheers
Jay

Update-1: Sound (ALC295 Codec) now working with AppleHDA 10.13.3 rollback and AppleALC version 1.2.7, Thanks to @MacPeet for the workaround, I am working with him on trying to understand why AppleALC version 1.3.0+ has issues with certain Codec's and hopefully get the problem sorted for the next public release.

Update-2: Latest version of AppleALC 1.3.1 is now working with Layout 3, the issue was not with AppleALC but with Lilu that was failing to detect/set the HDEF class-code correctly on some systems, I worked with vlt (one of Lilu's developers) to identify the problem which is now resolved in Lilu version 1.2.7 so no need for AppleHDA Rollback now.

Update-3: Touchscreen and Pen now working with latest version of VoodooIC2 .. see this post for more info.

Update-4: Am now running the latest version of Mojave 10.14.2 with no issues, I installed all updates to Mojave using the clone method above .... also detailed in this post.

Update-5: As reported by @ShortFormErnie, using AppleALC with layout 1 may help to avoid the distorted audio that i was experiencing on some macOS boot-ups, it only occurred rarely (maybe 1 in 6 boots) and was easily resolved with a quick sleep/wake which would force AppleALC to refresh the wake verbs. So far I have not experienced the issue when using layout 1.

Last edited:
How does APFS impact things on a day to day basis? Does it boot slower? Any problems related to it? I'm not in a mad rush to move over but that would probably be one of the main factors to keep me on High Sierra.

Mojave runs well on HP Spectre x360 2016 with i7-6500U as well:)

Last edited:
I've tried on my Envy 13 2017, but sadly, fail to make it work proper.
I think I should roll back to 10.13 again.

Hi everyone!
Thank you very much for the update. I actually installed Mojave beta too. I have the new version of the Spectre, a bit different in hardware.
I can see from your screenshot that you got Audio, Wifi, and battery percentage icon working (battery works, just the can't activate the icon on the bar).
None of these works for me for now. I followed your suggestion for the audio. But, it doesn't work.
Any thoughts on how to solve such issues?

Hi everyone!
Thank you very much for the update. I actually installed Mojave beta too. I have the new version of the Spectre, a bit different in hardware.
I can see from your screenshot that you got Audio, Wifi, and battery percentage icon working (battery works, just the can't activate the icon on the bar).
None of these works for me for now. I followed your suggestion for the audio. But, it doesn't work.
Any thoughts on how to solve such issues?
No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Use the gen_debug.sh tool mentioned in the FAQ, that way it is less likely you'll omit something.

Sorry about that.
I have already solved the battery icon issue.
For the wifi, I think my card is not supported, isn't it?
However, I dunno how to deal with the Audio issue. I installed the kext and changed the value of Audio in devices to empty, 0, 2, and 3 in config.plist but none of these works.
Can you please help?

Attachments

• debug_4139.zip
    1.9 MB · Views: 176
  • hp Spectre.zip
    700.4 KB · Views: 280
Sorry about that.
I have already solved the battery icon issue.
For the wifi, I think my card is not supported, isn't it?
However, I dunno how to deal with the Audio issue. I installed the kext and changed the value of Audio in devices to empty, 0, 2, and 3 in config.plist but none of these works.
Can you please help?

Intel WiFi not supported.
Read FAQ for recommended WiFi hardware.

Your ioreg shows you are not injecting a layout-id. It is required you inject a compatible layout-id. Look at Devices/#AddProperties in your config.plist and move the required injections for HDA into Devices/AddProperties. Or use Devices/Audio/Inject, or ACPI patching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back