Hey all! Success!

Specs:

Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3
XFX AMD Radeon HD 6870
3.4 Intel i7 2600K
16GB RAM
1 TB Boot Disk
Mac OS X 10.6.8

This isn't my first build, I've screwed around with some spare parts at a help desk I used to work at, but this is the first serious build I've done with the intention of being my primary machine. I do video and sound art, as well as more traditional music/recording, and my Core Duo MacBook Pro wasn't cutting it anymore (it was barely sufficient anyway). Did the research on parts. The new CustoMacs were posted right around when I was researching, so I largely based my machine off of those specifications. I was shooting for a Radeon 6870 anyway due to the native support and got the XFX model instead of the Gigabyte because of the better reviews. Parts came on Wednesday this week (it's now Friday).

Wednesday I get home from work and put my machine together. Pretty standard build. Got a behemoth of a CPU heatsink and was worried that the tall Corsair RAM wouldn't fit, but the Z68X board really did the positioning of the memory slots well to accommodate large heatsinks. So in about 2.5 hours the machine was booting to the BIOS and good to go.

While perusing though the BIOS I noticed it was revision F3, and the DSDTs available are F6 and F7. So I go and download the BIOS update from Gigabyte, but of course you need a Windows machine to extract the BIOS update from the .exe file they give you. Bummer. I don't have any sort of Windows environment. I work IT at an all Mac environment also, but we do have some virtualized Windows there, so I decide to extract the update at work and update the BIOS the next day.

So, I set to ACHI, HPET to 64 bit, correct boot order, did the "Load Optimized Defaults", and only have 4GB RAM. I boot off the iBoot disc, load up the 10.6.0 install disc, partition my drive, and install OSX. Installation goes smoothly.

Next I boot into OSX using iBoot and run the 10.6.8 combo update. This is the first real snag. At the end of the update when it is "Running Package Scripts" I get a kernel panic. After this, OSX is not bootable from iBoot. Awesome. So I wipe the drive, reinstall a few times, and try running the combo update each time. Still get the kernel panic. By this time it's about 1AM. Decide to continue on the next day.

So, rather than figure out why I get kernel panics, I decide to just bypass the problem. The next day I install OSX to an external drive using my MacBook Pro, run a combo update to get it to 10.6.8, and make an image of it. I update the BIOS to F7. On the Hackintosh, I boot onto the OSX install disc using iBoot and load up Disk Utility. From here I restore the image to my internal boot drive. Boot up to OSX 10.6.8 on the boot drive no problem using iBoot.

Now it's time for Multibeast. I used UserDSDT with the available F7 .aml file for my board. Ran System Utilities, ALC8xxHDA, IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector, FakeSMC Motherboard and Radeon Plugins, and Realtek Gigabit Ethernet 2.0.6. Reboot, sleep, graphics, QE/CI, and ethernet are fully working, but audio isn't showing up. It is ALC 889.

So, I do all the different ALC options for audio in Multibeast, but none work. I start snooping around about the problem, and it seems to be pretty common. Lots of people offer some pretty complicated solutions with DSDT editing, but simplicity is always great. Some guy has a simple fix. Remove ALL audio kexts, including AppleHDA and any HDAEnablers. Then simply use Multibeast to install ALC8xxHDA and run System Utilities. I rebooted and audio was good to go! I'll make a post and give due credit about this problem. I can't seem to find the page I referred to at the moment.

Last thing was that iTunes and the App Store were giving me problems. Unknown error -1008 and -50. Quit iTunes, deleted /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist, rebooted, readded Ethernet in Network Preferences, and all iTunes and App Store errors were to be no more!

Right now I'm running totally smooth with sleep, restart, graphics, QE/CI, sound, ethernet, Final Cut Studio, Adobe Design Premium CS5, and Protools 8 fully functional. I have nothing but great things to say about the iBoot+Multibeast method. With the proper research and a willingness to work through problems, it is a great process. Thanks to MacMan and TonyMacx86 for the development!

-Scott

Not too sure. Doesn't say anything in System Profile about USB 3 so probably not. All ports are working though. I will say that my USB 2 flash disk have been blazingly fast compared to what I'm used to. I'm away from the machine, but when I get back in the next day or two I'll work on getting USB 3 going.

So, I installed the USB 3.0 kext from the latest Multibeast and it bricked my system. That was fun. Luckily I had a backup image! Being that I don't have any USB 3 devices, and don't really plan on it, I'm going to hold off on USB 3 until I need it.

stereosanctity... how do you like the performance you are seeing with your build? I am considering a build (either a Hac or an Imac 3.4Ghz i7). Decisions, decisions... :) Figure I would ask you since you are in an org that uses Macs...

Hey Redline. I can't speak for the 3.4 iMac, as we only run Macbook Pros and a few Mac Pros. We are running some of the 2.2 Sandy Bridge MBP's, and they're alright. Honestly I wasn't too impressed. I will say that the machine I just built is the fastest machine I've ever used.

One of the pros of a Hackintosh that I think many people might overlook is not having to be involved with Apple to get hardware repairs/upgrades. I can upgrade my GPU anytime I want. If my motherboard fries, all I need to do is order a new one for ~$250 rather than haggling with "Geniuses", shipping my machine out to Apple, and being out at least $400. Don't get me wrong, I love Apple. I just wish they would make their machines more user-serviceable. But that's a part of how they make their money!

As for quantifiable performance, I just did a Geekbench of 11878!

Attachments

• benchmark.png
    benchmark.png
    88.4 KB · Views: 436
Nice Geekbench...

Does the MB support Virtu? From what I have been reading, the only boards that support it are... Z68X-UD3H-B3, Z68A-D3H-B3, Z68MX-UD2H-B3 and Z68MA-D2H-B3. Not sure if Lion or SL would benefit from it anyhow...

Yeah, I don't know about the support for virtualization. I have everything I need all in Mac Land. I built this machine for art stuff mainly (Final Cut, CS5, Protools), and the occasional game, (Civ V, Diablo 3 when it's out), so far it's rocking pretty hard.

I noticed that your GEEKBENCH was for 32bit. Any 64bit numbers? :)

I didn't buy Geekbench, so I don't have access to the 64-bit. I'll probably buy it once I start overclocking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back