Contribute
Register

[Success] Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite - Catalina 10.15.7 - OpenCore 0.7.9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently what is broken is the USBInjectAll kext. Even though it is broken, I managed to get everything working on GA-Z170X-UD5, GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5, and GA-Z270X-Gaming 5 motherboards running Monterey. But, this particular motherboard (GA-Z490 Elite) is very different in what was detected. On the others, I just went ahead and used the manual discovery method and it ended up working fairly well. I think the only issue I had was one port short on the GA-Z170X-UD5 motherboard. For the Z490 board, what I did with the EFI provided by MrPopman was I used his USBMap_InUse kext and on my Fractal Design R7 case, the only things that do not work are the two blue ports underneath the ethernet port, and the USB-C port on the front of the case. I opened his USBMap_InUse kext with ProperTree and can understand the logic of what it represents and will do more experiments to see if I can get the USB-C front port working and sacrifice the USB 2.0 function ("personality") of the two front USB 3.0 ports and if that will work, I'll be a very happy camper. That will keep it at 15 ports and I'll have every practical thing I need. But, it was actually really easy to install Monterey using Opencore 0.7.6. I stuck strictly to the guidelines and the only hitch was to get the RX6800XT video card working I had to add the agdpmod=pikera to t he boot-args line. Then it zipped right through the install, all but the USB ports. And the USBMap_InUse kext added nearly all that. I just really want to understand how it is actually done.
Being the lazy slob that I am, I would love to get my hands on your finished USBmap if you are successful. that process has always confused me.
I am itching to bump this Catalina up to Monterey. But, for now, 7.6 won't boot for me. Not sure what the itch is. But, for now, I'm happy to have everything working under 7.0.

Good Hunting!

Being the lazy slob that I am, I would love to get my hands on your finished USBmap if you are successful. that process has always confused me.
I am itching to bump this Catalina up to Monterey. But, for now, 7.6 won't boot for me. Not sure what the itch is. But, for now, I'm happy to have everything working under 7.0.

Good Hunting!
Monterey was actually fairly straightforward after I figured out two gotchas. Initially, I used the OpenHFsPlus.efi that came with the Opencore 0.7.6 zip file. It stalled very early on when it tried to load the kernel. I can't honestly remember which file I used on the others, but that was a new issue. When I reread the documentation, I realized it specified HFsPlus.efi, which I downloaded and substituted for the "OpenHFsPlus.efi" version and it booted far along till it got to the video card, where I got a black screen. Researched that and found that you needed an extra parameter in the boot-args. You have to add "agdpmod=pikera". Note, that that parameter is specific for the RX6000 series video cards. I have no idea if what would be required for your video card. I know I did not need it at all when I tested with a RX580 card. It was only with the RX6800XT. After that reboot, the installer loaded right up and off I went. The install went very smooth.

After looking at the USBMap kext provided originally in the post, it's clear that some ports are going to have to be sacrificed in order to stay under the 15 port limit. So, even if I get the ports working to my satisfaction, you may not get all the ones you need depending on the case you have, front ports, etc. But IF (huge IF) I can figure out how to properly edit those files, or how to really do this, I will post how it's done, and then maybe you can adjust to your liking.

That's why I am stuck at Catalina for this configuration. (Can't seem to find a Big Sur 11.1 installer anywhere)
First, HUGE thanks to the original poster on this thread for your hard work that allowed me to customize my own USB configuration. I would still like to know how you mapped this motherboard out initially and will continue to read on this until I figure it out. Your work removed a major barrier to using Monterey on the Z490.

I have the USB ports configured like I want them, and you can decide if this particular map works for you. My primary goal was to maximize the number of ports available and target them for what I wanted them to do. I don't need a lot of USB 2.0 ports, but assigning two of the HSxx ports to the appropriate hubs on the motherboard uses only two resources resources and gives you 6 USB 2.0 ports in return. That seemed like a no brainer. Then for convenience sake, I assigned EACH of the BLUE USB 3.x ports on the back plane of the motherboard a HSxx "personality" in addition to a SSxx "personality", so that each BLUE USB 3.2 port on the back would also function as a USB 2.0 port. I intend to only use the white, and red ports as USB 3.2 ports. That means every back plane USB port works just fine, you just have to remember that the white, and red ports WILL NOT accept a USB 2.0 only device. Plug them into the BLUE ports. The four black USB 2.0 ports are all active on the USB 2.0 hub on the motherboard and work great for keyboard, mouse, and other USB 2.0 only devices.

I have a Fractal Design R7 case that has two Front USB 2.0 ports, two USB 3.0 ports, and a single USB-C 3.x port. I wanted to have fully functional USB-C, USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports accessible on the front. I did not need the USB 3.0 ports to function as USB 2.0 ports also. But I really wanted the USB-C port on the front to work as I have several USB-C accessories I use with my laptop. So, I ditched the USB 2.0 "personalities" of the 3.0 ports and activated the hub on the motherboard that makes the USB-C port functional. So now, my USB 3.0 ports are USB 3.x only (USB 2.0 accessories will not work), and the USB 2.0 ports work fine, and the USB-C port works.

Bottom line ALL the USB connections do something, it's just that the USB 3.0 ports on the front lack a USB 2.0 function as do the red and white ports on the back. That worked for me.

Attached is the USBMap kext that will make a Gigabyte GA-Z470 Elite motherboard work that way. Obviously, this is built upon the original work by MrPopman.

Attachments

• Custom_USBMap_Z490.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 73
First, HUGE thanks to the original poster on this thread for your hard work that allowed me to customize my own USB configuration. I would still like to know how you mapped this motherboard out initially and will continue to read on this until I figure it out. Your work removed a major barrier to using Monterey on the Z490.

I have the USB ports configured like I want them, and you can decide if this particular map works for you. My primary goal was to maximize the number of ports available and target them for what I wanted them to do. I don't need a lot of USB 2.0 ports, but assigning two of the HSxx ports to the appropriate hubs on the motherboard uses only two resources resources and gives you 6 USB 2.0 ports in return. That seemed like a no brainer. Then for convenience sake, I assigned EACH of the BLUE USB 3.x ports on the back plane of the motherboard a HSxx "personality" in addition to a SSxx "personality", so that each BLUE USB 3.2 port on the back would also function as a USB 2.0 port. I intend to only use the white, and red ports as USB 3.2 ports. That means every back plane USB port works just fine, you just have to remember that the white, and red ports WILL NOT accept a USB 2.0 only device. Plug them into the BLUE ports. The four black USB 2.0 ports are all active on the USB 2.0 hub on the motherboard and work great for keyboard, mouse, and other USB 2.0 only devices.

I have a Fractal Design R7 case that has two Front USB 2.0 ports, two USB 3.0 ports, and a single USB-C 3.x port. I wanted to have fully functional USB-C, USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports accessible on the front. I did not need the USB 3.0 ports to function as USB 2.0 ports also. But I really wanted the USB-C port on the front to work as I have several USB-C accessories I use with my laptop. So, I ditched the USB 2.0 "personalities" of the 3.0 ports and activated the hub on the motherboard that makes the USB-C port functional. So now, my USB 3.0 ports are USB 3.x only (USB 2.0 accessories will not work), and the USB 2.0 ports work fine, and the USB-C port works.

Bottom line ALL the USB connections do something, it's just that the USB 3.0 ports on the front lack a USB 2.0 function as do the red and white ports on the back. That worked for me.

Attached is the USBMap kext that will make a Gigabyte GA-Z470 Elite motherboard work that way. Obviously, this is built upon the original work by MrPopman.
Thanks!

I'm going to use these maps as a starting point for figuring this process out.
Your rationale for this mapping seems good to me. I doubt that I would come up with any sane reason to need more than this.

I want to install Monterey on my second SSD. And, perhaps the HfsPlus vs OpenHfsPlus issue is what keeps stopping the monterey installer from getting more than a few seconds in. (I really should go back to the debug release.) The install boots up, but stops almost immediately. I didn't catch the place in the docs where it specified HfsPlus.efi. So, that is good info as well.

thanks again!

@tofuconfetti

Would it be too much to ask for a zip of your EFI? I've been working all afternoon trying to get OC7.7 to install Monterey OR BigSur for me. It keeps giving me the middle finger (Prohibited Stop sign).

Catalina continues to work perfectly on OC7.0 But, I'm missing something important with the big changes between 7.0 and 7.7. I would like to comb through yours to see what I am missing... if you don't mind.

@tofuconfetti

Would it be too much to ask for a zip of your EFI? I've been working all afternoon trying to get OC7.7 to install Monterey OR BigSur for me. It keeps giving me the middle finger (Prohibited Stop sign).

Catalina continues to work perfectly on OC7.0 But, I'm missing something important with the big changes between 7.0 and 7.7. I would like to comb through yours to see what I am missing... if you don't mind.
sounds like a usb issue

try all usb ports on your machine, make sure to use a usb2.0 drive

then do this after installation:

sounds like a usb issue

try all usb ports on your machine, make sure to use a usb2.0 drive

then do this after installation:
I'm actually using @MrPopman 's usb map in the boot EFI. So, I know the USB2 port I'm using is active.

@tofuconfetti

Where does your install fail? If it fails very early, saying something like it cannot read the kernel, then for me that was the OpenHFsPlus.efi driver. That is the driver I assumed was the one I wanted, since it was included with the OpenCore 0.7.6 zip file. But I realized that what was happening was that the boot loader could not read the filesystem on the USB drive. So, I went and found the HFsPlus.efi driver that is not in the OpenCore zip file and then everything booted right up. So try that next.

Then if that isn't the problem, as in it's not failing to boot right off the bat, then carefully double check your BIOS settings. I mean CAREFULLY. That also happened to me. For some weird reason, the "Other OS" setting had reverted to "Windows OS".

I'll post my EFI folder, but I just generated a random iMac20,2 SMBIOS, it's up to you to insure it's unique or generate your own per the opencore instructions, which I HIGHLY RECOMMEND. I use the boot-args flag required for the Radeon RX6800XT, "agdpmod=pikera", which apparently you need as well providing you are using the RX5700XT Nitro listed in your profile. So if this EFI does not boot your computer, look carefully at the BIOS settings.

On the matter of creating your own USBMap kext, while the methods were really straightforward using the Opencore recommended tools, they just gave random results on Monterey because the USBInjectAll kext and port limit setting does not work. Also, it took me a while (several hours) to understand the logic behind the USBMap_All kext the original poster provided. But it did start to make sense. I simply took a diagram of the motherboard from the manual, which lists the USB controllers on the board and the header connections and slowly it started to make sense. I was under the impression that you mapped each individual port, but that is not the case. If you map a USB controller to a HSxx resource, all of a sudden all the USB 2.0 ports on that controller work. So, as you read through his "USBMap_All" kext, by opening the kext by right clicking it and selecting "show package contents", then go to that folder and load the Info.plist into ProperTree, you'll see that you can select and reorder and rename ONLY, each resource and choose the ports you want. That took me a long time to get to that point. I just followed my nose and it worked.

What I do not know, and anyone still feel free to point me to a guide, is how to actually discover how the ports are laid out and id their resource from the DSDT handed to the OS by the BIOS (I think that's how it works). I can do it using a standalone USBView under windows, but I certainly don't want to install Windows everytime I install a new motherboard (I only use Windows when forced). Then once discovered, how do you get from that to the USBMap_All kext provided by the original poster? That is what I am still missing.

Here is the generic EFI folder. And remember, create your own SMBIOS as this one may not work. And if you get a black screen, fiddle with the boot-args under the NVRAM section of your config.plist.

SMBIOS creation under platform info on this page of the instructions:

Attachments

• Z490_EFI_Generic.zip
    3.7 MB · Views: 89
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back