Contribute
Register

[Success] Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite - Catalina 10.15.7 - OpenCore 0.7.9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey @MrPopman, any luck upgrading your EFI to OC 7.3 or whatever the latest is? Everytime I try i get kernel crashes. Any help with this?
I have not yet tried updating to OC 0.7.2 which is the current version. This is my main work from home machine and it is working without issue, so I'm not chasing the releases. The Open Core guide does have a troubleshooting section which should be the first place to review. Beyond that, opening a new thread here would be your second.

It's not a huge deal to me, your EFI release made it plug and play for me and it's extremely stable (even on the new Monterey I updated to) If I get some time I might fiddle with it again and see if I can update it, but it's not essential enough to post a new thread about it yet as the 7.0 EFI is perfect. Anyways, thanks again for the release.

Update: I was able to get 0.7.3 working, they changed how drivers are written in config.plist and i guess i must have missed that the first time i tried!

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm watching a Gigabyte Z490 AORUS Pro mainboard and it's recommended in the buyers guide. Do you think the setup will be very similar to your "Elite" version? Ideally I would like to follow an exact build, but this board fits my needs and is affordable.

The Gigabyte Z490 AORUS Pro includes Intel Wifi 6 and Bluetooth. It also has ALC1220-VB audio as opposed to the ALC1200 audio on the Aorus Elite. Both of these changes require changes to the config.plist and kexts to support the Wifi 6.

The Gigabyte Z490 AORUS Pro includes Intel Wifi 6 and Bluetooth. It also has ALC1220-VB audio as opposed to the ALC1200 audio on the Aorus Elite. Both of these changes require changes to the config.plist and kexts to support the Wifi 6.
Thanks fpr the reply! Can I just ignore Wifi and Bluetooth? I don't need it. I am planning to build a music production workstation. I will use external audio interfaces and Ethernet.

Thanks fpr the reply! Can I just ignore Wifi and Bluetooth? I don't need it. I am planning to build a music production workstation. I will use external audio interfaces and Ethernet.
For the built-in Wifi and Bluetooth you can disable them in the BIOS and I think you will be ok. I do not know what having the plist settings and kext files in place for non-existent hardware will do.

@MrPopman

Thanks for posting your build. I fought this same basic config for three days using the 7.6 OC. I couldn't figure out why it wouldn't finish the install at all. Things were not going well at all.

After reading through this walkthrough again, I decided to roll back to 7.0, and work from your base config. That's when things finally started going my way. I did wind up using openhfsplus.efi instead of hfsplus.efi, which finally cleared the memory/Not Found errors that were occurring in OC7.5 and 7.6.

Everything including iservices is working now. The Kraken AIO only displays white LEDs. But, the build is all white anyway. So, that works for me.
I haven't yet traced all of the USB ports since all that I need right now, are mapped in the existing kext. Will get to that, as well as the Titan Ridge Thunderbolt adapter soon.

HI wonder if I could bump it up to Big Sur? Is that a stable move to consider?

Posting my EFI, based upon yours, with few modifications, as another resource for any who want to try building one based on this board/processor. If anyone spots any improvements, I would gladly hear about them.

Thanks again!

"ReturnOfZee" macOS 10.15.7
  • GA Z390 Aorus ELITE (non-WiFi)
  • i7 10700K¥
  • 64Gb (4x16Gb) Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR3600
  • Broadcom WiFi Bluetooth PCI card
  • RX 5700 XT Nitro 8Gb
  • 970EVO 500Gb
  • 970EVO Plus 1Tb
  • 860QVO 500Gb
  • NZXT Kraken X63 RGB(W) Cooler
  • NZXT H510(W) Enclosure
  • Cooler Master V1000 PSU

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:

USB Ports​

The MB has a total of 26 USB ports defined on the Z490 chipset that I found during the setup. Of these 10 are USB 3.0 with 10 paired 2.0 variants, with 2 USB 2.0 ports each driving a 4 port hub, 1 USB 2.0 port for Mother Board RGB lighting control, and 3 USB 2.0 ports I could not identify. The usage of these breaks down as:
  • A Type-C motherboard header that has 2 USB 3.0 and 2 paired 2.0 variants assigned to it, for a total of 4 ports.
  • A USB 3.0 motherboard header supporting 2 USB 3.0 sockets with each socket assigned a 3.0 and 2.0 port for a total of 4 ports.
  • The 6 USB back panel sockets of various 3.x versions each with a 3.0 and 2.0 port assigned to it for a total of 12 ports.
  • One USB 2.0 port wired to a motherboard hub supporting the 2 USB motherboard headers (each with 2 ports)
  • One USB 2.0 port wired to a motherboard hub supporting the 4 USB 2.0 sockets on the back panel.
In order to meet the macOS 15 port limit per controller, you will have to select which ports you want to use. To support this, I have supplied two USBMap kext files, one that I am using that selects some of the ports and one with all them defined that you can edit per your preference. The ports I have defined are: USB 3.0 motherboard header, 4 USB 3.x back panel sockets (white, blue adjacent to the white, and both red) and both USB 2.0 ports wired to the motherboard hubs.
First of all, thanks very much for the thorough writeup, excellent and thorough. I have just installed Monterey on this board with a i9-10850K processor and RX6800XT video card using opencore 7.6. Everything is working EXCEPT my USB ports. Your information, so far, has given me some insight to how they are laid out on the board that I haven't found anywhere else. I'm going to take a closer look at the USBMap kexts you provided and will probably use them to solve this issue. But, my real question is how did you figure this out? I have tried the Opencore recommendations for configuring the ports using both the USBMap Tool and manually, but some of my ports are nowhere to be seen. I have not tried the SSDT-RHUB route yet, and it isn't normally recommended for this board. But I am still at a loss and USBInject-all doesn't work on Monterey. Otherwise, this setup is a real screamer so far. This is getting a bit deeper than I have had to dig before, so if you have any references on the process of digging up port definitions, or suggestions on how best to approach this using your USBMap files (never edited these before), feel free to chime in.

For instance, when you edit the info.plist file in the kext, do you do this manually or using a piece of software (like ProperTree)?

Thanks in advance.

First of all, thanks very much for the thorough writeup, excellent and thorough. I have just installed Monterey on this board with a i9-10850K processor and RX6800XT video card using opencore 7.6. Everything is working EXCEPT my USB ports. Your information, so far, has given me some insight to how they are laid out on the board that I haven't found anywhere else. I'm going to take a closer look at the USBMap kexts you provided and will probably use them to solve this issue. But, my real question is how did you figure this out? I have tried the Opencore recommendations for configuring the ports using both the USBMap Tool and manually, but some of my ports are nowhere to be seen. I have not tried the SSDT-RHUB route yet, and it isn't normally recommended for this board. But I am still at a loss and USBInject-all doesn't work on Monterey. Otherwise, this setup is a real screamer so far. This is getting a bit deeper than I have had to dig before, so if you have any references on the process of digging up port definitions, or suggestions on how best to approach this using your USBMap files (never edited these before), feel free to chime in.

For instance, when you edit the info.plist file in the kext, do you do this manually or using a piece of software (like ProperTree)?

Thanks in advance.
My understanding is that; everything beyond Big Sur 11.2 has completely broken the usual methods of USB configuration. This is explained (somewhat) in the Dortania guide covering Big Sur and Monterey.

That's why I am stuck at Catalina for this configuration. (Can't seem to find a Big Sur 11.1 installer anywhere)

My understanding is that; everything beyond Big Sur 11.2 has completely broken the usual methods of USB configuration. This is explained (somewhat) in the Dortania guide covering Big Sur and Monterey.

That's why I am stuck at Catalina for this configuration. (Can't seem to find a Big Sur 11.1 installer anywhere)
Apparently what is broken is the USBInjectAll kext. Even though it is broken, I managed to get everything working on GA-Z170X-UD5, GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5, and GA-Z270X-Gaming 5 motherboards running Monterey. But, this particular motherboard (GA-Z490 Elite) is very different in what was detected. On the others, I just went ahead and used the manual discovery method and it ended up working fairly well. I think the only issue I had was one port short on the GA-Z170X-UD5 motherboard. For the Z490 board, what I did with the EFI provided by MrPopman was I used his USBMap_InUse kext and on my Fractal Design R7 case, the only things that do not work are the two blue ports underneath the ethernet port, and the USB-C port on the front of the case. I opened his USBMap_InUse kext with ProperTree and can understand the logic of what it represents and will do more experiments to see if I can get the USB-C front port working and sacrifice the USB 2.0 function ("personality") of the two front USB 3.0 ports and if that will work, I'll be a very happy camper. That will keep it at 15 ports and I'll have every practical thing I need. But, it was actually really easy to install Monterey using Opencore 0.7.6. I stuck strictly to the guidelines and the only hitch was to get the RX6800XT video card working I had to add the agdpmod=pikera to t he boot-args line. Then it zipped right through the install, all but the USB ports. And the USBMap_InUse kext added nearly all that. I just really want to understand how it is actually done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back