Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

Which thermal paste do people recommend for the i7-8700K and the BK-109 Dark Rock cooler?

I used Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut (TG-K-001-RS) with my 8700K (not delidded) and uses the Noctua NH-D15S. I used the "central-based-horizontal line" pattern of application. YMMV.

Do the XHC patches for Z370 Gaming 7 need to be applied to the USB EFI via Clover Configurator before installation?

If I understand what your question is; do you need the patches in clover.plist to allow all ports to be enabled prior to installing the macOS, then the answer is no.

Also, if you are setting up your USB ports (which you should do!), from Mohave 10.14.1+ the USB port Limit Patch no longer works in the config.plist. RehabMan has updated USBInjectAll.kext to include boot flags for excluding groups of ports either using his method of creating a SSDT or using the FB-Patcher method.

RehabMans [Guide] Creating a Custom SSDT for USBInjectAll.kext method creates an SSDT, and the [Release] Intel FB-Patcher v1.6.6 method creates a code-less kext 'USBPorts.kext' which resides in your /EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/other directory. Either method works and achieves the same outcome.

Once you have created either the SSDT or USBPorts.kext it will continue to work with your motherboards chipset and will not need updating other than for changes like marking certain ports as internal e.g in my system, Non Intel USB chipsets are not covered by either of these patches. I have 4 dedicated internal USB ports on the USB2 headers, so I have marked them as internal. Otherwise my system goes into sleep and then get immediately awakened by these internal USB ports.

There seems to be a few/lot of people that are having trouble understanding the above guides, so if there is enough interest, and @HackaShaq agrees to put it into his guide (otherwise it would get lost in all of these posts), I could create a guide specific for this Mobo and using screen dumps on how to create a USBPorts.kext using the FB-Patcher method.

Yeah, that's what I was asking about. Thanks for the additional info.
I would greatly appreciate a guide to USB SSDT on this motherboard! What an offer!
This mobo is sitting beside me and as soon as my 970 EVO arrives I'm building. As this will be my first hackintosh a guide on USB would be awesome. I've bee reading about it over the last couple days and it's still overwhelming. TIA!

Yeah, that's what I was asking about. Thanks for the additional info.
I would greatly appreciate a guide to USB SSDT on this motherboard! What an offer!
This mobo is sitting beside me and as soon as my 970 EVO arrives I'm building. As this will be my first hackintosh a guide on USB would be awesome. I've bee reading about it over the last couple days and it's still overwhelming. TIA!

Cool, now problems. I'll try and create a mini guide that maybe @HackaShaq can link to my post(s) from his guide in post #1.
Most probably won't be until Wed/Thurs this week though.

@HackaShaq are you okay to link to a mini guide, otherwise it will get lost in all the noise of these posts?

Jim

Cool, now problems. I'll try and create a mini guide that maybe @HackaShaq can link to my post(s) from his guide in post #1.

@HackaShaq are you okay to link to a mini guide, otherwise it will get lost in all the noise of these posts?

Jim

hey @j007, is the guide for the USB required since USB ports are all working in this built?

I have a similar cpu & mobo as this guide so im interested to find out what would your mini guide allow! Something extra?

Did you try to stress test your system with different applications/benchmarks to make sure it's not a RAM or overclock (if you did that?) issue?

First I overclocked my system to 5GHz (1.3v) and it would run perfectly fine for Internet and Lightroom/Photoshop use. Lately I had 2 random shutdowns when I used the system under full load (rendering) for several hours. Since then I went down to 4.9Ghz and no issues anymore.

Hm, how could I tell if it's a RAM issue? I ran a Cinebench test and watch temp, freq, and utilization using Intel Power Gadget. I thought I wasn't overclocking as I was using EZ OC energy saving mode and I have the CPU upgrade in BIOS set to auto and the Intel Power Gadget readings still get super high.

Attachments

• readings.png
    readings.png
    57.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Jim

Since I haven't heard fro @HackaShaq, I'll leave the mini guide at this time. It takes a lot of time answering peoples questions, and I'm finding it more difficult to keep answering the same Q's all the time.

hey @j007, is the guide for the USB required since USB ports are all working in this built?

I have a similar cpu & mobo as this guide so im interested to find out what would your mini guide allow! Something extra?

@sotongster, to answer your question, no a guide from me is not required to have all the ports working. But if you read my post #1103, you will see that since 10.14.1+ the patch that users were using to allow discovery of all of the ports by the USBInjectAll.kext are no longer working properly on this and all(?) motherboards. Further to this it has always been the case that you should create a dedicated SSDT using the @RehabMan guide [Guide] Creating a Custom SSDT for USBInjectAll.kext.

Just because you have some of the ports working, doesn't mean that they all are working, and also other issues can arise such as the system not sleeping because of the USB ports. On my system all ports are working at their full speed, and it also sleeps and can go into the PowerNap mode. This is because I created a SSDT using the @RehabMan method, and then I used the FB-Patcher method with the same results.

Recently @headkaze created an [Release] Intel FB-Patcher application, that IMHO makes it a lot easier for those less technically inclined. All you need for this method, is two USB sticks, 1 USB3 & 1 USB2 the app and less than 1/2 hour of your time.

Both of these methods work, and the resultant USB fix, will be future proof from macOS updates, unless you change the motherboard.

Have a look at this post After 10.14.2 Update USB 3 is Broken for issues with USB3 using Mohave 10.14.2. This would have be avoided if the users had followed either of the two methods outlined above.

Also if you use this guide in conjunction with the steps in this post UniBeast: Install macOS Mojave on Any Supported Intel-based PC and in particular the section named above.

At the end of the day, you have to realise that this is a Hackintosh, and as such will always require some technical fettling to get it to work properly. This build comes very close to working out of the box, but it's not perfect, hence patches are required.

Jim :geek:

@jb007 -We're askin' cause you da' man! Seriously, I did a USB port discovery exam for an SSDT a-la @RehabMan, but I only got so far as the first pass at @HackaShaq mobo. So I have that set of ports for this board -and the Fractal Define R6 case designation. See the @ addresses. I'll post it as an attached text. I tried to do the SS etc., part 2 of discovery and killed the USB controls just by changing a boot argument. I got everything back, but 'twas hairy... - I used a USB 3 hub for discovery.

Question: Can the config template you made for me be used for High Sierra -if I apply alterations?

Something odd to note: Sometimes when I boot into Mojave, I get the iGPU listed along with the RX-580 in the  System Report. A couple of hours later, only the RX-580 appears in the  System Report. FYI...

If you'd like to tackle a Thunderbolt patch, I can send you the i/o reg paths when the Apollo 8 is running. Ha ha, ho ho.
Seriously, we all appreciate your engineering skills. I can't even do quadratics... We don't want to burn you out. Too bad we can't have a convention. Anyway, @HackaShaq, please consider @jb007's offer of a USB patch in whatever form for the GA Z370 Gaming 7 for your mighty build.

Since I haven't heard fro @HackaShaq, I'll leave the mini guide at this time. It takes a lot of time answering peoples questions, and I'm finding it more difficult to keep answering the same Q's all the time.

@sotongster, to answer your question, no a guide from me is not required to have all the ports working. But if you read my post #1103, you will see that since 10.14.1+ the patch that users were using to allow discovery of all of the ports by the USBInjectAll.kext are no longer working properly on this and all(?) motherboards. Further to this it has always been the case that you should create a dedicated SSDT using the @RehabMan guide [Guide] Creating a Custom SSDT for USBInjectAll.kext.

Just because you have some of the ports working, doesn't mean that they all are working, and also other issues can arise such as the system not sleeping because of the USB ports. On my system all ports are working at their full speed, and it also sleeps and can go into the PowerNap mode. This is because I created a SSDT using the @RehabMan method, and then I used the FB-Patcher method with the same results.

Recently @headkaze created an [Release] Intel FB-Patcher application, that IMHO makes it a lot easier for those less technically inclined. All you need for this method, is two USB sticks, 1 USB3 & 1 USB2 the app and less than 1/2 hour of your time.

Both of these methods work, and the resultant USB fix, will be future proof from macOS updates, unless you change the motherboard.

Have a look at this post After 10.14.2 Update USB 3 is Broken for issues with USB3 using Mohave 10.14.2. This would have be avoided if the users had followed either of the two methods outlined above.

Also if you use this guide in conjunction with the steps in this post UniBeast: Install macOS Mojave on Any Supported Intel-based PC and in particular the section named above.

At the end of the day, you have to realise that this is a Hackintosh, and as such will always require some technical fettling to get it to work properly. This build comes very close to working out of the box, but it's not perfect, hence patches are required.

Attachments

• USB Discovery.txt
    853 bytes · Views: 58

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Great point, i just tested my system. The machine can go to sleep, restart and shutdown and all but seems like when a usb is plugged in and the machine goes to sleep, it's ejected 'forcifully'.

I would assume a custom SSDT would work fix this issue.

I would really love to see a guide for this!

@jb007 -We're askin' cause you da' man! Seriously, I did a USB port discovery exam for an SSDT a-la @RehabMan, but I only got so far as the first pass at @HackaShaq mobo. So I have that set of ports for this board -and the Fractal Define R6 case designation. See the @ addresses. I'll post it as an attached text. I tried to do the SS etc., part 2 of discovery and killed the USB controls just by changing a boot argument. I got everything back, but 'twas hairy... - I used a USB 3 hub for discovery.

Question: Can the config template you made for me be used for High Sierra -if I apply alterations?

Something odd to note: Sometimes when I boot into Mojave, I get the iGPU listed along with the RX-580 in the  System Report. A couple of hours later, only the RX-580 appears in the  System Report. FYI...

If you'd like to tackle a Thunderbolt patch, I can send you the i/o reg paths when the Apollo 8 is running. Ha ha, ho ho.
Seriously, we all appreciate your engineering skills. I can't even do quadratics... We don't want to burn you out. Too bad we can't have a convention. Anyway, @HackaShaq, please consider @jb007's offer of a USB patch in whatever form for the GA Z370 Gaming 7 for your mighty build.

Hi @jiffyslot. "We're askin' cause you da' man!" :lol::)
Re: "Can the config template you made for me be used for High Sierra". No just use the config.plist I made for you on HS. The previous config.plist patch that opens all 26 ports for port discovery by the USBInjectAll.kext no longer works in Mojave 10.14.2 or later (?), HS is not affected AFAIK.

Regarding your disappearing iGPU, I'm not sure what is going on there! But FYI if you are only using the iGPU for quick sync and you have setup your config.plist correctly, then it should not show in the System Report, but you should see it in the Intel Power meter. You haven't got multiple EFI boot partitions again where you are mistakenly booting of a config.plist that is setting the iGPU to normal discreet mode i.e not running in headless mode??

To tell you the truth I've forgotten so much of my maths (and many other things!). Now if you want maths, speak to my younger brother who was a Physicist researching in things that I can't even pronounce let alone understand... :rolleyes:

I want to get my TB3 Alpine Ridge going again and will investigate the latest goings on regarding TB3 & macOS etc. I want to purchase a TB3 to 10GBe adapter to replace the the 10GBe PCIe one I currently use to talk to my NAS server... money is holding this back ATM. I also understand that the Titan Rydge TB3 adaptor is working better in hacks...

I understand why a guide would be beneficial to the less 'tech' individuals. Maybe I can do a guide in a separate post and link to it, but I prefer to have it linked to in this thread as I'd like to keep it specific to this Mobo. It is also duplicating @headkaze instructions, but I guess mine will be expanded by 'follow the bouncing ball' type of documentation with screen grabs and non-tech explanations and using the FB-Patcher method.

I'm very concerned that this is @HackaShaq guide, and I don't want to take it over or ruffle feathers. Maybe a moderator can give me some guidance on this, @Stork what do you think?

Back