Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

I've got my wlan/bt card today and delidded the cpu. Everything is working fine for now exept that only one of the internal usb2 ports works with the usb.kext from @jb007. This means that only either the wlan/bt card or the usb2 ports in the front of the case work. I will try to get this sorted out by tomorrow. Does anyone have any ideas concerning the booting issue that @jb007 described in the post above?
Hi @TheDave.

USBPorts.kext

The USBPorts.kext that you are using is most probably incorrect for your build ATM. I alluded to this in a previous post, but said I'd hold off until we got your monitors going on the iGPU.
Looking at your USBPorts.kext's info.plist (it's contained within this kext), it is showing you are trying to match on aiMac18,1-XHC which also has only 9 ports setup i.e HS01-HS08 & SS01. I got this USBPorts.kext from your EFI.zip download.

Mine is set for matching on a iMac18,3-XHC and have all 16 Ports setup i.e HS01-10 &. SS01-SS06. HS07-10 in mine are set to be internal ie the ports have a device permanently connected to them. This is signified by setting the UsbConnector Number to 255 rather than 3.

I'm not sure as how you created your USBPorts.kext, but it is wrong and most likely limiting what USB ports you have available. Since it depends on what Model identifier you are using most probably best to temp remove this from your clover other dir and use USBInjectAll.ket in /L/E until you or I fix your monitor issues but I have modified the USBPorts.kext in the EFI EFI to be the same as mine, but to match on iMac18,1-XHC.

Also just a reminder, for the USBPorts.kext to work, don't have USBInjectAll.kext loaded anywhere as it's only used for in the process of port discovery for creating this using the FB Patcher app.

Don't worry if you don't get this, as I can try to help you down the line to get it right.

UHD iGPU

I'll upload the EFI folder I used to boot into a clean version of 18,1 that gave me the weird results yesterday with the multiple black bars. It has a random serial number I used for testing, as I didn't use yours. Might be best if you disconnect from internet before testing!

Just mount your EFI folder, and rename your existing EFI and copy this over. I also just booted of it a few minutes ago to make sure it still worked and that the modified USBPorts.kext was working.
Will be interesting if you get the same results. Let us know how you go. I'll try further to to find info on this issue.

EDIT: 6th Dec
Seems like we have been on a wild goose chase, as doing a search on this forum has turned up a few references to this known problem. This post says it all, i.e "Dual monitor on Coffee Lake iGPU is a known issue (according to RehabMan's post), and at this point there is no solution other than yours (leaving one unplugged until after log-in). AMD graphics cards are best for compatibility due to native support by macOS. You can read this sticky post for more details."
So I guess going forward you will have to either physically boot with one monitor plugged in, and then plug the second one in. You must have the 2nd monitor physically unplugged, just not turned off as the iGPU senses the presence of the cable.
I'd personally install a RX 580 and be done with it.

Let us know how you go.

Jim

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    20.2 MB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Hey all, OP here.

I moved, and moved my "2018 Mac Pro Replacement" in the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv case into a room where there's carpet on the floor. Since it's not really great to keep a tower with vents on a floor with carpet (blocks airflow) I found a perfect stand that will keep the tower off the carpet and keep the airflow humming along:

Monoprice Multimedia Desktop Stand 22" x 9.5" - Monitor Riser, Laptop Stand, Desktop TV Stand, PC Riser w/ Height Adjustable Legs

This thing is on sale for only $16.61 shipped Prime via Amazon
(It's also on sale at Monoprice for $10.99 + shipping)

Mine arrived yesterday and is PERFECT for this case. Love this stand. Here's a photo of the stand in action with the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv case now hovering above the carpet:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Super sleek and just passing this along since it's on sale and fits this build perfectly.

I'd personally install a RX 580 and be done with it.

The RX 580 might be total overkill for @TheDave's audio production build. To save some money but still benefit from the silent mode and wide fan-stop range of higher-end Sapphire cards, I recommend the Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 4GB I am using. Still overkill, but will drive two 4K displays with passive cooling. Good offer that should be accessible from Vienna (use PREISWERT7 at checkout for an additional 7% discount):

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Sapphire-Ni...Ie-/173545293070#couponcode=ebay-voucher20183

Thanks for your help @jb007 @e-troc I'll think about buying a dedicated graficscard but at the moment it's just a waste of money for a small inconvenience. I'd like to be able to game in 1440p at 60+ fps in the future, but at the moment i really don't have the money for a 2070 or a Vega64.
I'll try the efi folder now and report back.

Edit: The efi folder is working great, the usb2 ports are working now. I'll use it with my own generated serial numbers now.

Last edited:
Edit: Just found out that 10.14.2 is out, so will do the above, once I've updated my main system.

Jim:geek:

Hi JB, how'd you go with that 10.14.2 update?
I used the combo update, and it broke my audio, and cannot get it working again.

I note that most people in the update thread did it from the update menu, not the combo update

Cheers...

Gotcha. Makes sense to do as much research as possible.

Just for reference, I only have one m2 drive (macOS High Sierra) in the middle slot, and Windows 10 off a SATA SSD. An additional m2 drive will block a lane shared by SATA ports, and these are covered in Page 33 of the Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 Manual. If you don't have more than 4-5 SATA drives needed on top of the two m2 drives, then you're good.

Also, one thing I've found in my setup is related to audio and MacOS and Windows. Well, I have my speakers connected via the line out I highlighted in my manual. For Windows, it uses a different line out port. So rather than unplugging the speakers each time I boot up into the other OS, I'm going to get a "Y" splitter cable and test it out. It's on order, and I'l update the manual as needed for those who create a dual-boot system of Mac and Windows.

Hacka, can you tell me which SATA SSD you used for Windows 10? I'm about to do your build, and I am LOATHE to vary from it in any way. I was thinking about using the second m2 drive, but don't want to take that risk...thanks.

Thanks for your help @jb007 @e-troc I'll think about buying a dedicated graficscard but at the moment it's just a waste of money for a small inconvenience. I'd like to be able to game in 1440p at 60+ fps in the future, but at the moment i really don't have the money for a 2070 or a Vega64.
I'll try the efi folder now and report back.

Edit: The efi folder is working great, the usb2 ports are working now. I'll use it with my own generated serial numbers now.
Glad to help, and that is good news @TheDave. Yes GPU cards are expensive, I know I bought two RX 580 8GB cards at the height of the 'boom'. Since sold one, and waiting for maybe the next generation of AMD to come out.

Hi JB, how'd you go with that 10.14.2 update?
I used the combo update, and it broke my audio, and cannot get it working again.

I note that most people in the update thread did it from the update menu, not the combo update

Cheers...
I had no issues. I'm using a slightly different method of getting the audio working compared to this build guide, so maybe it was not affected by the update.

Everything seems to be working fine. Haven't had much time to test as it was very hot here in Melbourne yesterday 37C and around 27C in my tiny office space even with the downstairs air conditioner on!

I'll report back if there are any issues!

Hacka, can you tell me which SATA SSD you used for Windows 10? I'm about to do your build, and I am LOATHE to vary from it in any way. I was thinking about using the second m2 drive, but don't want to take that risk...thanks.
Hi @PeteCC, while you are waiting for @HackaShaq to reply, I can tell you I have had no issues with my two M.2 Samsung SSD 960 PRO 512GB drives. The 970 version has replaced (?) these now, but the M.2 and NVME drives are now issue with this build or the later macOS's.

Back