Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

I feel like a more powerful fan would be necessary if overclocking. thoughts?
If others with overclocks to 5.0 GHz are only seeing high temps of 60c with air coolers, what your AIO is giving you is not acceptable IMO. Either get a better liquid cooler or switch to a good air cooler. If you do go with BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 you don't even need the highest cost, highest TDP model. Any rated at 150W TDP or above would do much better than your CM AIO. One of those 150W TDP Pure Rocks sells for under $40 at Amazon.

Screen Shot 20.jpg This is what HackaShaq is getting with an air cooler.

Last edited:
Jeez @jiffyslot, you're not having much luck! Thanks for the info, I will be getting a TB3 card very soon, but the eGPU will have to wait a little bit longer as I went out and purchase a 10Gbe Switch today (I've got a 10Gbe NIC talking to my NAS), and my wallet is looking very sad!

I don't mind you assuming my level of knowledge, sometimes it's the little things you think you know, that are the gotchas! I have both a hardware and software engineering qualifications, but I'm getting a little older and sometimes forget what I did 5 minutes ago but remember things I learnt back in 1975 in the military... go figure.

Moving on, after your post the other day, I created a new USB with the latest 10.13.6 ( I installed/upgraded from 10.13.4). I installed on a spare SSD using APFS, with no problems. It has to be something really simple with your set-up (it usually is), but what I don't know. :(4

Have you, (you most probably have), run from the clover boot menu with verbose on, select space bar, then the options for verbose and halt on kernel panic, to see if you can get any error message or where its hanging. Also pressing F2 before booting dumps a boot log file into the EFI/EFI/CLOVER/misc/ directory as preboot.log and if you have the debug=0x100 flag set in your config.plist Boot section, I believe it also creates a debug.log file in there also. Turn this flag off when finished, as it slows down the boot process.

I can send you my config.plist if you want... let us know. Jim

Edit: For the debug.log file just press F4 at clover boot, F2 for preboot.log or both, for well both!
Edit: Also I had problems last week whenI updated my clover, from memory it rebooted just as it was initialising the AMD graphics after all the crosses... I've reverted back to Clover revision: 4458. I'll re investigate this tomorrow and re confirm.

Hi jb,

Thanks, I'd love a config.
Yeah, apparently one of the latest Clover updates wrecks some things. Are your installing Clover with Emulated VRAM onto your High Sierra USB installer? Or are you letting Multibeast (dragged onto installer USB) auto-handle everything? I've tried an install w/o changing a single setting in Clover, I've also tried other "Options" -what gets me is that it's so random. My USB voltages are good: Nothing but keyboard, mouse and a single display.

I've been working on this since late June. It's absurd I've remade made countless installers. Even tried a Legacy Mode one. Last night I made a fresh UEFI exactly as instructed by this site's installation guide for 10.13.6. Clover boots... but only gives me a Recovery Boot option. It's getting absurd. IDK how many times I've reset the board reconfigured my BIOS -exactly per spec. I've only popped out the battery twice. Memory is in the right place (4x16GB) and I've deleted the old failed BCFG entries. Are you able to see my build via my sig or profile page? It's all there. Again, a config would be great.

Got this thing working once, but it only lasted less than a day. And everything worked. Too bad the CCC clone wasn't actually bootable. That was fun. Please and thank you!

I'm running an offline bounce in Pro Tools - it's pushing the processor, but I didn't expect it to get that hot. Hackashaq used a different cooler, but he was reaching 60C, so that's a huge difference.

Hi there. I have questions: Which Pro Tools version? How long was that session (and do you remember the Offline time-to-completion estimate)? Were you just a bouncing a straight 24/44.1 BWF or were you adding options? Was the Offline Bounce actually faster than a Realtime Bounce?

Hi there. I have questions: Which Pro Tools version? How long was that session (and do you remember the Offline time-to-completion estimate)? Were you just a bouncing a straight 24/44.1 BWF or were you adding options? Was the Offline Bounce actually faster than a Realtime Bounce?
Hi,

Oh absolutely faster than real time. Whatever is the current version - I'm in the post sound universe so it's a movie - 95min length, 4x5.1+8x2.0 tracks, so 40 mono tracks @ 24b/48kHz BWF. Not a crazy big session but easily 12x speed (so 95/12=7-8 min). If it's smaller stuff it goes waaaay faster... Bottleneck at this point is probably read/write speed of hard drives (one raid is a source and an ssd is destination). I might do more testing later on to see if I go SSD->SSD if that would be faster. But my real bottle neck was clearly the under spec'ed fan... :)

Hi,

Oh absolutely faster than real time. Whatever is the current version - I'm in the post sound universe so it's a movie - 95min length, 4x5.1+8x2.0 tracks, so 40 mono tracks @ 24b/48kHz BWF. Not a crazy big session but easily 12x speed (so 95/12=7-8 min). If it's smaller stuff it goes waaaay faster... Bottleneck at this point is probably read/write speed of hard drives (one raid is a source and an ssd is destination). I might do more testing later on to see if I go SSD->SSD if that would be faster. But my real bottle neck was clearly the under spec'ed fan... :)

I'm using all Noctua fans (see my build) but I haven't been able to do jack-squat yet because of install failures. Are you running an HD setup for post?

Hi everyone!

First off, thanks HackaShaq for the perfect build instructions. I finished my build recently and nearly everything works flawlessly. I haven't sorted my USB situation yet (only front ports work, but haven't had enough time to deal with it). Both Ethernet work, my 1080Ti works, even Thunderbolt! But one thing that surprised me is how hot my CPU runs when I'm running a heavy task. I have a Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 240 Liquid unit, and I'm not sure what's going on here. Has anyone else had this issue?

Hi there @Chewbacca. Without stating the obvious, you have definitely got a problem with your cooling!

I have a Corsair AIO H110i 240mm unit and have no heating issues. With my CPU OC'd @4.9GHz and running Prime95 turture test, it barely sees 70C, water temp hovers up to around 35C from memory. At idle my CPU temp hovers around 8C above ambient room temp eg ATM it's 23C as my room is at 15C.

From your temp graphs it's very apparent your CPU is thermal throttling, which is good, as you don't want a melt down.

I suspect your pump motor is not pumping. My motor can be heard running if I use a long screwdriver and press it against the pump and the other (non-pointy end!) next to my ear... it's like a hearing trumpet... a old mechanics trick to isolate noises. You should be able to hear the pump running. With my Corsair set-up its got USB connectivity and I can run a utility to see the FANS revolutions (usually around 2400RPM).

FWIW, I wouldn't do anymore 'stress tests' until you find the culprit.

Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 8.48.11 am.png Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 8.56.22 am.png

From your temp graphs it's very apparent your CPU is thermal throttling, which is good, as you don't want a melt down.

This is from Steven Walton of techspot.com

He reviewed the 8700K last October shortly after the initial release.

For now I'm using the DeepCool Captain 240EX RGB, it's all all-in-one liquid cooler with a 240mm radiator. It's a decent solution though the Noctua NH-D15 air-cooler has been reported to deliver slightly better temperatures on an overclocked 7700K for example. That said, the D15 is about as good as air-coolers get.

Anyway, with a room temperature of 21 degrees the 8700K idled at 25 degrees. Stressing both the CPU and FPU caused the temps to hit 84 degrees while only stressing the CPU saw temps max out at 60 degrees.

Once overclocked to 5.2 GHz, we reached within six degrees of the TjMAX while running the CPU stress test, peaking at 97 degrees briefly. (end of excerpt)

So TJMax for the 8700K is around 103 degrees. Intel makes the CPU throttle down the clockspeed when it hits about 97-99C.
As jb007 said it prevents permanent damage to the CPU. It's never good to spend much time hitting temps that high on a regular basis as it could shorten the useful life of the CPU.

Here's the section of the review on power, temps and overclocking if anyone is interested. https://www.techspot.com/review/1497-intel-core-i7-8700k/page4.html

Hi jb,

Thanks, I'd love a config.
Yeah, apparently one of the latest Clover updates wrecks some things. Are your installing Clover with Emulated VRAM onto your High Sierra USB installer? Or are you letting Multibeast (dragged onto installer USB) auto-handle everything? I've tried an install w/o changing a single setting in Clover, I've also tried other "Options" -what gets me is that it's so random. My USB voltages are good: Nothing but keyboard, mouse and a single display.

I've been working on this since late June. It's absurd I've remade made countless installers. Even tried a Legacy Mode one. Last night I made a fresh UEFI exactly as instructed by this site's installation guide for 10.13.6. Clover boots... but only gives me a Recovery Boot option. It's getting absurd. IDK how many times I've reset the board reconfigured my BIOS -exactly per spec. I've only popped out the battery twice. Memory is in the right place (4x16GB) and I've deleted the old failed BCFG entries. Are you able to see my build via my sig or profile page? It's all there. Again, a config would be great.

Got this thing working once, but it only lasted less than a day. And everything worked. Too bad the CCC clone wasn't actually bootable. That was fun. Please and thank you!

Hi @jiffyslot. Firstly I notice that you are running the F5 version of the BIOS. Just to make sure this is not a problem, I would update to the latest which is F7, I started out with the F6 revision but running F7 now. I had a quick look at the Gigabyte BIOS revision list, can't see anything that the later BIOS offer, but sometimes (most times!) they will not tell you what also they have also fixed in the updates. Just make sure you save your profiles if you have created them under the power settings in the BIOS, to a fat32 formatted USB stick, as the BIOS update will wipe them. Personally, I always load the Optimised Defaults and set up the BIOS settings from scratch again and then save this profile (I have two, Windows and macOS).

Edit 11th Sept 2018:
I have since found out, that you don't need to be emulating NVRAM on this Motherboard. You only need this if you are using an NVIDIA GPU.

Don't load Emulated VRAM in the HS installer. Select that option in Multibeast once you have booted into the desktop, and then select the Emulated VRAM option. I've attached the config.plist's from my USB 2.0 install and a modified version of my boot config.plist that I've remove serial numbers and some stuff to do with my 10Gbe network card. I've also rebooted and checked this does boot.

If you haven't wiped your previous installed 10.13.6, have you tried booting from the install disk, and then using Disk Utility to try and fix it? You haven't said what happened/or wore doing for it to crash?

Also, I've attached a screenshot of the Clover boot options, try F3 to see all of your hidden entries.

screenshot0.png

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.4 KB · Views: 149
  • config.plist
    7.6 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
FWIW, I wouldn't do anymore 'stress tests' until you find the culprit.
Haha for sure waiting for a new cooler. I was surprised myself when I saw it. Thanks for your advice all! Now off to that USB fix...

Hey everyone, I’ve posted in here before when this thread was at its infancy and now I'm back to finally smoothen out the kinks in my build as it's finally operational. My build is nearly identical minus the case, and the fact that I’m running TB with a Alpine Ridge card and my bluetooth/wifi card.

I’m having difficulties getting all of my hard disks to show in OSX. I currently have 4 installed using sata ports 0,1,2,3, and they are visible under windows, but unfortunately under OSX only 2 of the 4 are visible. I will note all 4 drives are formatted macOS as they were pulled from my old cheese grater 5,1.

Additionally, only one of my 2 ethernet ports work, the lower, my killer lan port isn’t working. I’m wondering if OP would be willing to upload his EFI Folder or config.plst since he said both of his are working and he hasn’t used any additional kexts oddly enough. It might have to do with multibeast though too as I did my install with clover.

Back