Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

For those that have upgraded to Mojave and can't use preview to open JPEG files please use this kext and place it in the ...CLOVER/kexts/other/ folder .. You will also need Lilu.kext for this to work.

https://github.com/vulgo/NoVPAJpeg/releases

Thanks for the hands up. I have this issue also, but I couldn't find the NoVPAJpeg.kext... and it got me to thinking (dangerous!).

So I remembered that a fair while ago, I tried to get the IGPU to co-exist as a 'headless' IGPU to get Quicksync going, etc.
I found and followed this guide by @headkaze - [Guide] Intel Framebuffer patching using WhateverGreen.

I set my IGPU to 'Enabled' and the two related memory settings to 32MB and MAX in the BIOS and used 0x3E9B0007 as my in my Clover 'config.plist/Graphics/ig-platform-id'. Please read his document though, as I'm not 100% sure that I have got it right!

I did not do any FrameBuffer patching that is mentioned in the guide.

Now I can view my JPEGS. Thankyou @headkaze for your great guide.:clap:

F10 firmware is now out, with added support for Intel 9th Gen CPUs

I updated BIOS, redid settings (because like any BIOS update they reset to defaults). No issues with macOS

EDIT:

I noticed the changed with the auto over clock options. It's using higher voltage than it was before, which means higher temps. They might be trying to resolve the auto overclocks being unstable on some of the less golden egg CPUs that got unstable with F6 and F7, but the ones that were stable on F7, are now just running hot needlessly. Might have to consider custom OC settings now. I literally gained 10C on max load CPU temps with new vCore it's giving on auto 5GHz.

EDIT2: Apparently this board doesn't support custom OC what so ever, everything is auto and only auto. locked from making any changes despite being a 8700k. So I'm just going to be rolling back to F7 until hackintosh has support for 9900k and THEN i'll use F10.

a BIG no thanks to majorly overvolting OC and running at 80-85C instead of the usual 70-73 it was before (same test)

Last edited:
Quinn from Snazzy Labs ~ Mom Builds the Hackashaq Mac Pro
He didn't give any credit to this thread in the video, but at least has a link to it in the video notes section. The hardware is nearly identical except that he bought a used XFX RX570 on Craigslist to keep the costs down. He also used a Tt Water 3.0 Liquid cooler instead of an air cooler. His Mom built it as she has never even attempted a PC build before. He did this to demonstrate how easy it is to build a PC these days. One critical omission he made was to not buy the required 3.5 lb. bag of Sour Patch Kids for the build. Guess he's just not a details guy. LOL.

The problem with "Should Be Selling" in the title is that, even if Apple sold a product like this, it would end up costing you around 3-4000 dollars anyway. The large profit margins Apple is able to add on to the cost of building a Mac are not small. So don't expect a $1400 user upgradeable Mac Pro any time soon. I'd wager that the upgrade parts on the next gen 2019 Mac Pro will only be available directly from Apple, other than the GPU. (Maybe an eGPU ?) You should be able to choose your own AMD or Nvidia workstation class or other compatible graphics card. Just think how much smaller they could make a new MP with the GPU outside the case, not creating any heat to deal with inside the MP case. The eGPU will have it's own dedicated PSU inside an external enclosure so the MP will not need more than about a 350W highly efficient and cool PSU. The 2019 Mac Pro may be as small as the first generation Mac Mini. I doubt that anything else will be user serviceable or upgradeable. Just because they are calling it "modular" doesn't mean you'll be getting an Apple motherboard with a Xeon CPU in a case and then have the ability to use any off the shelf PC hardware. That just wouldn't be very Apple like. We'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Quinn from Snazzy Labs Mom Builds the Hackashaq Mac Pro
He didn't give any credit to this thread but I'm sure he has seen it. The hardware is nearly identical except that he bought a used XFX RX570 on Craigslist to keep the costs down. He also used a Water 3.0 Liquid cooler instead of an air cooler. His Mom built it as she has never even attempted a PC build before so he could demonstrate how easy it is to build a PC these days. One critical omission he made was to not buy the required 3.5 lb. bag of Sour Patch Kids for the build. Guess he's just not a details guy. LOL.

Yeah, he links to my build in the comments section of his video, but without the Sour Patch kids, I mean, what's the point?? :D

Yeah, he links to my build in the comments section of his video, but without the Sour Patch kids, I mean, what's the point?? :D
Kind of disappointing he didn't give a shoutout to this thread. His YT videos on hackintoshes usually get over a million views or more. Just noticed he didn't even apply one Apple logo sticker to the case either. Probably to keep the build cost down.

Last edited:
@Snazzy send me... :) so thank you and hello to this Threat! :)
The reason why I'm here is hilarious!!
after the release in July I ordered the MBP 15 and after 5 replaced CTO MacBook Pro 15 (2,6GHz i7 1tb 16gb) yes you read right 5 times this piece of crap isn't still working as it should - and I'm mad as hell about apple I want to build a Hackintosh :) So goodbye apple.

I'm looking for a solution that makes is really easy to install everything and make it work like a real Mac.

when I look at the shopping list, what do I need to buy when I want use
- airdrop
- Wifi
- BT audio output

what do I need to change when I want to use the upcoming intel 9th gen CPU?

@Snazzy send me... :) so thank you and hello to this Threat!
You really think this build guide is a Threat ? A threat to what ? Maybe English is not your first language. Do you mean Thread ?

For BT and Wifi working OOB you'll want to get a combo card like the BCM94360CD which is an iMac card.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...4848&cm_re=fv-T919-_-0XM-00JK-00033-_-Product
You can also buy one direct from Fenvi in China if that is closer to you.

All you'd need to use a 9th gen CPU is a Bios update that has support for those. No one here has tested that obviously so we don't know how well they will work with Mojave right now.

You really think this build guide is a Threat ? A threat to what ? Maybe English is not your first language. Do you mean Thread ?

Whops.... yes you got me. :)

All you'd need to use a 9th gen CPU is a Bios update that has support for those. No one here has tested that obviously so we don't know how well they will work with Mojave right now.

Okay thank you.

Never mind @HackaShaq many people including me have followed this golden build. But now my quest is complete... look what I found this morning at my supermarket!:D

Sour Patch.jpg

:lol:

F10 firmware is now out, with added support for Intel 9th Gen CPUs

I updated BIOS, redid settings (because like any BIOS update they reset to defaults). No issues with macOS

EDIT:

I noticed the changed with the auto over clock options. It's using higher voltage than it was before, which means higher temps. They might be trying to resolve the auto overclocks being unstable on some of the less golden egg CPUs that got unstable with F6 and F7, but the ones that were stable on F7, are now just running hot needlessly. Might have to consider custom OC settings now. I literally gained 10C on max load CPU temps with new vCore it's giving on auto 5GHz.

EDIT2: Apparently this board doesn't support custom OC what so ever, everything is auto and only auto. locked from making any changes despite being a 8700k. So I'm just going to be rolling back to F7 until hackintosh has support for 9900k and THEN i'll use F10.

a BIG no thanks to majorly overvolting OC and running at 80-85C instead of the usual 70-73 it was before (same test)

@MysticalOS, I also updated to the F10 BIOS, but found the same issue with excess heat... my AIO cooling normally sits around 8C above ambient, but F10 upped this to around >16C above ambient. I've rolled it back to F7, as I like to prolong the life of my CPU. You can change the voltage though, but I don't have the time to muck around with testing for stability etc ATM.

Back