Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

the system would not boot and be stuck on the Apple logo with no progress bar ever.
Looks like this...forever:​

It's an interesting problem.
I can make a regular Mojave APFS CCC clone onto a USB-connected SATA-to-SSD cable with an OC 0.6.6 EFI -and it boots without flaw on my Z390 system.
The same setup for the Z370 (with a couple MLB and serial tweaks) freezes like this on boot. I've tried several versions of Z370 OC EFIs. I'm on BIOS F15a and I've rolled back to Clover for the Z370. It makes me wonder if there are NVRAM issues with the Z370 and the unmodded F15a.

Update: I switched to a modified BIOS F15a with unlocked MSR: No change of function. I then switched to BIOS F11 with no change of function. Clover still works and boots Mojave. Somwthing odd though: Ethernet as En0 and En1 used to be "baked-in" to my working Clover EFI, but something changed the setup to En8 and En7.

Last edited:
This is likely not even a Hackintosh issue, but rather a new Catalina issue when creating bootable backups and booting from USB enclosures.

Hope this helps someone who may have the same issue.

@HackaShaq

Congratulations on finding a solution that worked for you. However, looking through your procedure, based on my experience, it seemed like you went through some unneeded steps.

My Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 is using BIOS F14, and OpenCore 0.6.6.

Since I didn't have Catalina installed, I installed Catalina 10.15.7 on my internal backup SSD in a new APFS container. I then cloned it with Carbon Copy Cloner to a SSD installed in a USB enclosure as pictured below.

Using Disk Utility I formatted the external SSD as APFS (from the Format popup list) and GUID Partition Map scheme (from the Scheme popup list) in a single step.

#1 - Initial Setup.jpg
The resulting USB disk, as formatted by Disk Utility, is shown below.

#3 - Disk Utility Formatted.jpg
I then used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the internal Catalina SSD to the external USB Catalina Backup SSD. CCC showed the "destination volume should be bootable," and it was.

#4 - CCC Clone Setup.jpg
I booted from the external USB Catalina Backup without any problems using the same OC 0.6.6 EFI I use to boot Big Sur, Catalina, and Mojave on this hack. The boot time was typical for external USB booting.
#5 - Backup Booted.jpg
This is just my experience today and in the past. I've never experienced problems booting from USB external drives formatted this way with Disk Utility in a single step.

@HackaShaq

Congratulations on finding a solution that worked for you. However, looking through your procedure, based on my experience, it seemed like you went through some unneeded steps.

My Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 is using BIOS F14, and OpenCore 0.6.6.

Since I didn't have Catalina installed, I installed Catalina 10.15.7 on my internal backup SSD in a new APFS container. I then cloned it with Carbon Copy Cloner to a SSD installed in a USB enclosure as pictured below.

Using Disk Utility I formatted the external SSD as APFS (from the Format popup list) and GUID Partition Map scheme (from the Scheme popup list) in a single step.

View attachment 510946
The resulting USB disk, as formatted by Disk Utility, is shown below.

View attachment 510948
I then used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the internal Catalina SSD to the external USB Catalina Backup SSD. CCC showed the "destination volume should be bootable," and it was.

View attachment 510949
I booted from the external USB Catalina Backup without any problems using the same OC 0.6.6 EFI I use to boot Big Sur, Catalina, and Mojave on this hack. The boot time was typical for external USB booting.
View attachment 510950
This is just my experience today and in the past. I've never experienced problems booting from USB external drives formatted this way with Disk Utility in a single step.
Here's what's so weird that I found in my testing. I did exactly as you mentioned above at first, thinking I could easily just format for APFS from the start, but SSD wouldn't boot this way when in the enclosure. Weird right? Then again, I'm still using Clover.

That's why I had to format the "parent" drive (enclosure selection) first as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and "GUID Partition Map" first. Then, format the sub "Container disk7" as APFS. It was weird. Again, it might be an oddity of my USB enclosure, but this was the only way I could get it to work.

I should also note that an important step needed to be made before I could change the icon for the drive (I use custom drive icons). Looks like Catalina locks down the bootable system drive and doesn't allow you to change the icon of the drive once it's been made bootable (and separated out as "Macintosh HD" and "Macintosh HD - Data") so everyone needs to change the custom drive icon before they clone to it. That was another thing I found out along the way.

I thought that you'd still be able to change the icon of a bootable drive if it wasn't the active boot drive, but I couldn't. Just making it bootable ("Macintosh HD" and "Macintosh HD - Data") makes it a special drive that locks the icon. At least, that's what happened when I tried it.

I didn't try unmounting the "data" drive in Disk Utility and then trying to change the bootable backup drive's icon, and this could possibly work, but I just made sure to change it before cloning.

Funky new stuff for Catalina.

I uploaded my latest EFI for OpenCore 0.6.7 here. Same build :)

Big thanks to @HackaShaq for the original write-up! Wanted to give back for everyone's tireless efforts and help on this forum.

Please also review post 210 for more details on my exact configuration. There may be some changes (such as those with locked CFG) that need to be modified in the config.plist.

Can someone have a gander at my Clover config? I can't figure out how to correct the Ethernet (En7 and En8) so that I can get En0 and En1 back? I was unsuccessful in getting OC to work, otherwise I'd use that. Thanks.

Attachments

• config.plist
    10.4 KB · Views: 66
  • ACPI Patched.zip
    6 KB · Views: 68
  • Clover_Kexts_Other.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 61
Can someone have a gander at my Clover config? I can't figure out how to correct the Ethernet (En7 and En8) so that I can get En0 and En1 back? I was unsuccessful in getting OC to work, otherwise I'd use that. Thanks.

Check out this guide on how to restore En0: Restore En0

It's not related to your EFI.

Check out this guide on how to restore En0: Restore En0

It's not related to your EFI.
Thanks. I saw that last night, but I wasn't sure if it applied to Clover because of:
"If this doesn't work, add NullEthernet kext and ssdt-rmne.aml to your EFI and config.plist under Kernel"

I tried it anyway and it worked. Thank you!

Last edited:
I updated to 11.3, and my mouse and keyboard stopped working at the login screen. I'm running OpenCore 0.6.8. I think I may have not have made a USB layout for this mobo, and that's why its not working, Everything was cool in 11.2 and 11.2.3 on MY 370 gaming 7 mobo

Anyone have a patch for this?

I updated to 11.3, and my mouse and keyboard stopped working at the login screen. I'm running OpenCore 0.6.8. I think I may have not have made a USB layout for this mobo, and that's why its not working, Everything was cool in 11.2 and 11.2.3 on MY 370 gaming 7 mobo

Anyone have a patch for this?
Some discussion about this going on over here:

Back