Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

With Mojave, it's easier than High Sierra. The 8th gen CPUs are natively recognized and you don't have to Inject Intel or use FakeIDs. Just install Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext.
That's also true with 10.13.6 with all recent security updates. They ported the MacBook Pro 2018 changes into 10.13.6 many months back. 9x00 cpus and UHD 630 natively recognized and supported. I use Lilu and Whatever green to handle mine. I use it headless because only purpose I'm using IGP for is hardware decoding and DRM. dedicated GPU is for everything else.

it's likely the issue in fact with the person who's having trouble post security update. A lot of that hackery that was needed on base 10.13.6 isn't needed (and may in fact cause problems) post security update.

Ok, I thought I had installed Lilu and Whatevergreen but I must have forgotten something because it turned out that they weren't loaded. They are now (they appear as "loaded" in about this Mac/system report/extensions.
I've just installed them using the iDiot guide, and I'm in the process of tweaking the last settings as indicated in this guide. So far nothing has changed, but I suppose I need to take the last steps of this guide to see. @MysticalOS, one question about your last comment though:

If the hackery that was needed on base 10.13.6 isn't needed anymore after updating the system with the latest security updates, does that mean that I'll have to undo any of this hackery after applying these updates?

Thanks again @pastrychef and @MysticalOS for your great help :)

Ok, I thought I had installed Lilu and Whatevergreen but I must have forgotten something because it turned out that they weren't loaded. They are now (they appear as "loaded" in about this Mac/system report/extensions.
I've just installed them using the iDiot guide, and I'm in the process of tweaking the last settings as indicated in this guide. So far nothing has changed, but I suppose I need to take the last steps of this guide to see. @MysticalOS, one question about your last comment though:

If the hackery that was needed on base 10.13.6 isn't needed anymore after updating the system with the latest security updates, does that mean that I'll have to undo any of this hackery after applying these updates?

Thanks again @pastrychef and @MysticalOS for your great help :)

Please make a backup of your existing EFI folder and try this one. Replace the EFI folder in your EFI partition. Get rid of any hackintosh kexts you have in /Library/Extensions/.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    27.7 MB · Views: 148
Please make a backup of your existing EFI folder and try this one. Replace the EFI folder in your EFI partition. Get rid of any hackintosh kexts you have in /Library/Extensions/.
Ok, I just did. I still have disappearing icons and buggy display of browser tabs :(

Ok, I just did. I still have disappearing icons and buggy display of browser tabs :(

Please check config.plist > SMBIOS. I may have forgotten to set it to iMac18,1.

Please check config.plist > SMBIOS. I may have forgotten to set it to iMac18,1.
Yup it's set on iMac18,3. Stupid question: do I just need to replace 3 by 1 using Clover Configurator?

Yup it's set on iMac18,3. Stupid question: do I just need to replace 3 by 1 using Clover Configurator?

No. Use Clover Configurator and click on:

Nevermind. I just remembered one more omission on my part... Please try this config.plist.

Attachments

• config.plist
    11.6 KB · Views: 156
As far as I know, only Gigabyte Alpine Ridge is now working with hot-swap. It only works with BIOS F9. I have both Alpine Ridge and Titan Ridge (TR). TR only works with BIOS F11. BIOS F12c is utter #$@! and will not boot, I know since I spent nearly a day on it trying to get it going. I'm currently using my TR on F11, but under macOS Mojave hot-swap alludes me and others. Interestingly TB works OTB under Linux and Windows 10. macOS hot-swap works differently compared to Linux and Windows, Apple just had to do things their own way!
Hope this helps.
@jb007 Hello! I have Gigabyte Alpine Ridge, rev. 2.0, on Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard, but I don't have BIOS F9. On the Gigabyte web site only F7 is available, and, after F10 firmware, no F9 (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-Gaming-7-rev-10#support-dl-bios)

What Bios version do I need to flash? Thank you. PS. I have 10.13.6 High Sierra.

@jb007 Hello! I have Gigabyte Alpine Ridge, rev. 2.0, on Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard, but I don't have BIOS F9. On the Gigabyte web site only F7 is available, and, after F10 firmware, no F9 (https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-Gaming-7-rev-10#support-dl-bios)

What Bios version do I need to flash? Thank you. PS. I have 10.13.6 High Sierra.
Sorry @Ferz2019. I made a mistake. With Alpine Ridge and this motherboard you need BIOS F7.
See my post here regarding my success with this and hot plug.

Back