Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

YMMV, but I'll only sync a device via iTunes. I'll only charge it with the factory charger -or a real Mac if one's around. I was unsuccessful at getting this build to provide enough power for the USB SuperDrive, so that got me to thinking that either the mobo is going to either refuse to charge at a normal rate, or the device is going to create a sag on the rest of the board.

Everything in the studio is on a voltage regulator.

Regarding the specs on the Z370 Gaming 7, in my experience with any device "should" and "does" often produce different results when measuring with a VTVM, etc.

I think you have not understood what my Mini guide is about @jiffyslot. The guide shows you how to get the USB ports to charge Apple devices like your iPhone and power your USB SuperDrive. This is something that you have wanted in previous post on this thread.

Hopefully I'm not misconstruing your comments, but @hackmymac has confirmed that details in the Mini Guide is working for him.

A very large proportion of posts in this thread have been in helping you get your system going, where others would have given up on you. I don't mind helping you or anyone, in fact I get a lot of satisfaction helping others, but the least I expect is for you to read and what I have to say, otherwise you are waisting my and others time.

Could you please read things more carefully in the future before making negative or 'off the cuff' technical comments that can be misinterpreted by others.

Jim

I think you have not understood what my Mini guide is about @jiffyslot. The guide shows you how to get the USB ports to charge Apple devices like your iPhone and power your USB SuperDrive. This is something that you have wanted in previous post on this thread.

Hopefully I'm not misconstruing your comments, but @hackmymac has confirmed that details in the Mini Guide is working for him.

A very large proportion of posts in this thread have been in helping you get your system going, where others would have given up on you. I don't mind helping you or anyone, in fact I get a lot of satisfaction helping others, but the least I expect is for you to read and what I have to say, otherwise you are waisting my and others time.

Could you please read things more carefully in the future before making negative or 'off the cuff' technical comments that can be misinterpreted by others.

Jim

I'm sorry Jim,

Thank you very much for all your help in this. This gratitude also extends to the others who've answered my questions or had their own comments. I do read your writings though I don't always understand exactly why you chose a particular path (the FB USB patch vs the Rehabman-style SSDT) -but I assume you did it for a reason. I assume good intentions and I hope others will first assume good intentions from me as well.

I think you've misconstrued the comment, it was not off-the cuff. Brief text is poor at conveying tone. I didn't mean to cause any offense or misdirection. I just plugged in my SuperDrive after some adjustments and I got the "Nagging for More Power" popup in the OS. The shorthand was over my own concern that the USB traces may be less robust to high current compared to the traces on an Apple mobo, high current being a relative term. I honestly don't know. Maybe the GA Z370 G7 is electrically sturdier than a Mac. I'll attach two images of the USB info report where the Apple wants an extra 600mA in reserve. Probably for the zippy high-torque-sounding eject. I don't know if anyone cares about this difference between the the two, but I'll post the data for the curious.

And FWIW, I just reconfigured my EFI to your mini-guide spec and it works perfectly, exactly matching the current for the devices below. Nice work and thank you for writing that up.

Attachments

• Apple SuperDrive.png
    Apple SuperDrive.png
    25.7 KB · Views: 80
  • LG Slim Portable DVD Writer.png
    LG Slim Portable DVD Writer.png
    28 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Question; I cannot seem to get BOTH ethernet ports working on this build which is modeled after this one. Both adapters worked previously. But, I had to reinstall after a failed update. Can't seem to get the same level of love this time.
The Atheros Killer works with the AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext. But, IntelMausi.kext(ver 2.4) doesn't do the trick for the Intel adapter.

Any advice on what to look for?
[EDIT: Found it! There are two seperate places in BIOS to enable onboard ethernet. in my case, "PCH LAN Controller" was disabled. Enabling it lit up the second ethernet port.]

Perhaps this oversight will help someone else in the future.

Last edited:
A couple of snags have shown up now that I've been using this puppy for a couple of days. Haven't tried to troubleshoot these yet, but just wanted to note that it's not all roses quite yet. (And I still haven't done the SSDT).

1. When the system wakes from sleep, the screen colors go all pink and purple. Need to reboot to get back to normal.
2. The front panel USB Type C port on my case is directional. Plug the cable in one way and it works, the other way it doesn't.
3. Sustained data transfer over USB Type C results in the drive being spontaneously dismounted. If I pop on a Type C to Type A adapter (one came with my WD My Passport SSD), then I can use it without a problem in a Type A port.

I'm hoping 2 and 3 will be fixed with the SSDT. I'll get around to 1 when I get around to it (although now that I'm writing this, I wonder if it would also happen if I went to the integrated graphics, that might be a quick test).

A couple of snags have shown up now that I've been using this puppy for a couple of days. Haven't tried to troubleshoot these yet, but just wanted to note that it's not all roses quite yet. (And I still haven't done the SSDT).

1. When the system wakes from sleep, the screen colors go all pink and purple. Need to reboot to get back to normal.
2. The front panel USB Type C port on my case is directional. Plug the cable in one way and it works, the other way it doesn't.
3. Sustained data transfer over USB Type C results in the drive being spontaneously dismounted. If I pop on a Type C to Type A adapter (one came with my WD My Passport SSD), then I can use it without a problem in a Type A port.

I'm hoping 2 and 3 will be fixed with the SSDT. I'll get around to 1 when I get around to it (although now that I'm writing this, I wonder if it would also happen if I went to the integrated graphics, that might be a quick test).

Just a quick reply before I go to work.
1. Have you tried whatevergreen.kext in your /Library/Extensions/ folder with Lilu.kext?
2. Try SSDT.
3. See 2.
Sorry for brief reply!
Jim

Hi, is there an established consensus that the Hackintosh build works smoothly with Mojave, or should a novice stick with the version of HS that was installed on the successful original Golden Build? Thanks.

I am the consummate novice here... As this was my first ever Hackintosh build... I'm using Mojave 10.14.0, and it worked beautifully. Updating to 10.14.1 through software update, was smooth and painless as well.

Just follow the guide to the letter (other than making a Mojave install media). And Mojave will install actually a bit smoother than High Sierra, IME.

Hi, is there an established consensus that the Hackashak build works smoothly with Mojave, or should
a novice stick with the version of HS that was installed on the successful original Golden Build? Thanks.

Go Mohave 10.14.2 if you can.

I am the consummate novice here... As this was my first ever Hackintosh build... Using Mojave 10.14.0
And, it worked beautifully. Updating to 10.14.1 through software update, was smooth and painless as well.
Just follow the guide to the letter (other than making a Mojave install media). And Mojave will install actually a bit smoother than High Sierra IME.

Also be aware that information regarding USB is out of date in this guide as since Mojave 10.14.1+ things have changed. To make your USB and USB power work for higher powered Apple devices, you could follow my mini guide I have posted in this thread. At least two people besides myself have take the time to reply back that it is working for them.

Jim

To make your USB and USB power work for higher powered Apple devices, you could follow my mini guide I have posted in this thread.

Thanks! Will check it out. I didn't realize their was a problem with that. I DO want my iPhone to continue charging whenever the system sleeps though. Maybe this will help in that regard too.

Thanks! Will check it out. I didn't realize their was a problem with that. I DO want my iPhone to continue charging whenever the system sleeps though. Maybe this will help in that regard too.
Yes charge while it sleeps at a higher current than 'normal'.

Back