Contribute
Register

[Success] GIGABYTE Z370 Gaming 7 + Intel Core i7-8700K + RX 580 + (2x) Dell P2715Q 4k @ 60Hz

@wavesequence, if you download High Sierra from the Apple Mac App Store, you'll get High Sierra 10.13.6 which is the latest and most mature version of High Sierra. :thumbup:
I have an old stand-alone HS 10.3.4 installer that is the last "stable" version for Pro Tools. Q: Is the HS install such a bear (still?) that I should just "take my no USB 3 lumps in Mojave 10.14.2" and live with that?

I have an old stand-alone HS 10.3.4 installer that is the last "stable" version for Pro Tools. Q: Is the HS install such a bear (still?) that I should just "take my no USB 3 lumps in Mojave 10.14.2" and live with that?

Hi @jiffyslot, why are you having such problems with your USB 3 ports? Sounds like you are going around in circles!
All of my ports are working fine?

Are your USB3.1 ports working with your devices (the RED one and the USB Type C)??

What method are you using FB-Patcher or the SSDT method??

Are you using a powered hub?? I have to for some of my devices e.g my Corsair K95P keyboard & Glaive mouse as they draw
to much power. USB 2 is rated to a max of 500ma (0.5 Amps) and USB 3 (3.1) is 900ma. If you have multiple devices that exceed that, then you will have problems.

If you are having trouble discovering your ports because it is too 'techy', then I can help, but to make sure it's not your USB devices, see if they work on those two ports. To the best of my knowledge, they should work out of the box as they are not in the Intel chipset so they should not be affected by patching.

Hi @jb007

I got nothin' in Mojave. But every USB device (except the Lexar 3.0 CF/SDHC reader and any USB 3 drives really, anything USB 3) on my powered Xcellon hub works. I can connect that hub to anything USB and it works. Right now, it's on the USB 3 port on the back; the one next to the USB 3.1. I'm using your FB patcher. I'm wondering if I need to open/import it into FB Patcher and hit patch or save, etc. Maybe plug everything into every port. You saw how far I got into discovery. Maybe it's just a Mojave problem.

FWIW, all USB 2 and 3 ports work in Windows 10. So does 2 discrete ports of Thunderbolt with hotplug support. -So in theory everything should work. Maybe Apple is finally dismantling the Hacks through updates. IDK... Do you want to post a new USB kext? I've been looking for your last High Sierra config, but I couldn't find it.

Hi @jb007

I got nothin' in Mojave. But every USB device (except the Lexar 3.0 CF/SDHC reader and any USB 3 drives really, anything USB 3) on my powered Xcellon hub works. I can connect that hub to anything USB and it works. Right now, it's on the USB 3 port on the back; the one next to the USB 3.1. I'm using your FB patcher. I'm wondering if I need to open/import it into FB Patcher and hit patch or save, etc. Maybe plug everything into every port. You saw how far I got into discovery. Maybe it's just a Mojave problem.

FWIW, all USB 2 and 3 ports work in Windows 10. So does 2 discrete ports of Thunderbolt with hotplug support. -So in theory everything should work. Maybe Apple is finally dismantling the Hacks through updates. IDK... Do you want to post a new USB kext? I've been looking for your last High Sierra config, but I couldn't find it.

Hi @jiffyslot.

I'm only interested in getting Mojave 10.14.2 USB 2&3 ports going for you ATM, so only detail what is happening in Mojave please as you are confusing me, which is very easy at the moment as I'm crook with a head cold and a chest infection.

Q: What does "I got nothin' in Mojave", mean, do you have no USB ports, or only ports running at USB2 speeds??

Could you please reply to my previous Q's. Which are: (on Mojave)
1. Are your USB3.1 ports working with your devices (the RED one and the USB Type C)??
2. What method are you using FB-Patcher or the SSDT method??

Also what files do you have in your Clover 'Other' directory and also your /L/E?? A list using the code block command would be great. Just open a terminal, do:
Code:
ls -al /Library/Extensions
Highlight the text, and copy (CMD & c) then select the 'Insert' icon in the editor of your reply text box and select the 'Code' then paste the code in it...

Jim

Hi JB, I've edited this.

I can get every port to "light-up" in i/o reg and FB Patcher -discovery of USB 2 when using an iLok which is a "yankable" USB 2 device. I'm using the FB Patcher USN kext you made.

Please bear with me. I have to use two machines: One for the forum, the other for the Hack. I'm also attaching a screenshot of what populated into FB Patcher while also running i/o reg to verify and obtain those long stings of numbers. Everything looks right, just no USB 3. Oddly enough, I can attach a bare SSD to the USB 3.1 red port via a Startech SATA to USB 3 cable, but it does not work in any other connector. Not even the powered USB hub. So between that and the card reader issue, I'm certain it's a USB 3.0 problem.

For the internal front panel connector, I'm using the left-most connector at the bottom of the Z370 Gaming 7 (Rev. 1)

So IDK if I should open your kext in FB and re-save it, or if I should just install that popular Increase USB Port Limit from 14 to 26 patch and remove the Inject All kext. IDK if any of that would even help since I'm running 10.14.2.

I've been trying to get back into my High Sierra volume, but I cannot.

Here's the capture from your requested Terminal Command:

Library Extensions.png

Attachments

• PB USB pt 1.png
    PB USB pt 1.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 80
  • PB USB pt 2.png
    PB USB pt 2.png
    73 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Hi JB, I've edited this.

I can get every port to "light-up" in i/o reg and FB Patcher -discovery of USB 2 when using an iLok which is a "yankable" USB 2 device. I'm using the FB Patcher USN kext you made.

Please bear with me. I have to use two machines: One for the forum, the other for the Hack. I'm also attaching a screenshot of what populated into FB Patcher while also running i/o reg to verify and obtain those long stings of numbers. Everything looks right, just no USB 3. Oddly enough, I can attach a bare SSD to the USB 3.1 red port via a Startech SATA to USB 3 cable, but it does not work in any other connector. Not even the powered USB hub. So between that and the card reader issue, I'm certain it's a USB 3.0 problem.

For the internal front panel connector, I'm using the left-most connector at the bottom of the Z370 Gaming 7 (Rev. 1)

So IDK if I should open your kext in FB and re-save it, or if I should just install that popular Increase USB Port Limit from 14 to 26 patch and remove the Inject All kext. IDK if any of that would even help since I'm running 10.14.2.

I've been trying to get back into my High Sierra volume, but I cannot.

Here's the capture from your requested Terminal Command:

View attachment 372339
Ok @jiffyslot, this is what is wrong AFAIK from the info you have provided:

Note: This info is only for Mojave 10.14.2 (or possibly later).
  1. You have the USBPorts.kext in /L/E! Wrong! It should only go in the Clover 'OTHER' directory in you Mojave EFI folder. It will not work anywhere else. It is a codeless kext which means it has no code in it and therefore is of use only to the Clover boot mechanism.
  2. Remove the following from your /L/E folder as they are either redundant or will cause problems with this build using the FB-Patcher method:
    Code:
    FakePCIID.kext
    FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext
    GenericUSBXHCI.kext
    NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
    USBInjectAll.kext
    USBPorts.kext
  3. Remove it from your /L/E directory and run the kernel cache update procedure. I.e in a terminal run these commands.
    Code:
    sudo touch /Library/Extensions
    sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
    sudo kextcache -i /
    Make sure that there are no errors other than invalid signature errors.
  4. Just to make sure that your USBPorts.kext is correct, I have uploaded two for you the one named USBPorts_18.3.kext is setup for the iMac18,3 and the other named USBPorts_18.1.kext for the iMac18,1 as I'm totally lost as to which you are using ATM! Do not get confused by the terminology of internal and external. I believe all of your ports that you are using are external i.e you plug them into the iMac via the rear or case ports, or via a hub connected to the ports. Both of these are set for all ports as external. Ports HS01-10 & SS01-6 have been discover by me and are in these two files.
    Do not forget to rename the USBPortsxxx.kext to USBPorts.kext before placing in your /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other directory!
  5. If you are using Mojave 10.14.2 then remove the patch from the config.plist that used to allow up to 26 ports to be discovered. It no longer works with 10.14.2, and is not required if using the USBPorts.kext.
If any of this does not make sense, just holler. It should just work for you, as it does for me!

I think that is it.

Jim

Attachments

• USBPorts_18.1.kext.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 62
  • USBPorts_18.3.kext.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 65
Thanks man! I'm on the 18,3 And Gah! I had the same USB.kext in both the EFI and the /L/E.
I think those other kexts got in there when I ran Multibeast a second time, right after they updated it. They slipped by me. I remember you telling me to get those Fake PCIID ones out a few weeks ago. Can't (wait, I can) believe I missed them. Okay, I'm giving the commands and putting that newly-renamed kext to replace the other one in the EFI. Maybe something went pear-shaped. Anyway, thanks and feel better!

Wow! It freakin' works! I don't have to slink back to Windows! If you ever come to Portland, I'll buy you a freakin' steak dinner.
Seriously! You've saved my workflow from days of HFS+ to ExFAT to NTFS conversions.

A+ for jb007.png

Last edited:
Ok @jiffyslot, this is what is wrong AFAIK from the info you have provided:

Note: This info is only for Mojave 10.14.2 (or possibly later).
  1. You have the USBPorts.kext in /L/E! Wrong! It should only go in the Clover 'OTHER' directory in you Mojave EFI folder. It will not work anywhere else. It is a codeless kext which means it has no code in it and therefore is of use only to the Clover boot mechanism.
  2. Remove the following from your /L/E folder as they are either redundant or will cause problems with this build using the FB-Patcher method:
    Code:
    FakePCIID.kext
    FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext
    GenericUSBXHCI.kext
    NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
    USBInjectAll.kext
    USBPorts.kext
  3. Remove it from your /L/E directory and run the kernel cache update procedure. I.e in a terminal run these commands.
    Code:
    sudo touch /Library/Extensions
    sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
    sudo kextcache -i /
    Make sure that there are no errors other than invalid signature errors.
  4. Just to make sure that your USBPorts.kext is correct, I have uploaded two for you the one named USBPorts_18.3.kext is setup for the iMac18,3 and the other named USBPorts_18.1.kext for the iMac18,1 as I'm totally lost as to which you are using ATM! Do not get confused by the terminology of internal and external. I believe all of your ports that you are using are external i.e you plug them into the iMac via the rear or case ports, or via a hub connected to the ports. Both of these are set for all ports as external. Ports HS01-10 & SS01-6 have been discover by me and are in these two files.
    Do not forget to rename the USBPortsxxx.kext to USBPorts.kext before placing in your /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other directory!
  5. If you are using Mojave 10.14.2 then remove the patch from the config.plist that used to allow up to 26 ports to be discovered. It no longer works with 10.14.2, and is not required if using the USBPorts.kext.
If any of this does not make sense, just holler. It should just work for you, as it does for me!

I think that is it.

Jim

As far as I can tell, your USBPorts.kext (iMac18,3) is working well.
All of my USB-Devices are working using any port of the machine.

Unfortunately though, my iPhone and iPad are only charging very slowly. Is there a fix for that?

SysReport for my iPhone says

Speed: Up to 480Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Location ID: 0x14400000 / 8
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

while being connected to the yellow rear USB port right next to the PS/2-Connector (see the below image - ignore the arrows, I just was lazy and used the image from @HackaShaq's first post in this Guide)

audio-dual-jpg.333170

I wish there was a way to charge my devices faster.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks man! I'm on the 18,3 And Gah! I had the same USB.kext in both the EFI and the /L/E.
I think those other kexts got in there when I ran Multibeast a second time, right after they updated it. They slipped by me. I remember you telling me to get those Fake PCIID ones out a few weeks ago. Can't (wait, I can) believe I missed them. Okay, I'm giving the commands and putting that newly-renamed kext to replace the other one in the EFI. Maybe something went pear-shaped. Anyway, thanks and feel better!

Wow! It freakin' works! I don't have to slink back to Windows! If you ever come to Portland, I'll buy you a freakin' steak dinner.
Seriously! You've saved my workflow from days of HFS+ to ExFAT to NTFS conversions.

View attachment 372393
:clap::headbang::cool:
No problems @jiffyslot, I'm glad I got you there!
Now backup your EFI folder etc, store it in your safe!
P.S. I do like steak!

As far as I can tell, your USBPorts.kext (iMac18,3) is working well.
All of my USB-Devices are working using any port of the machine.

Unfortunately though, my iPhone and iPad are only charging very slowly. Is there a fix for that?

SysReport for my iPhone says

while being connected to the yellow rear USB port right next to the PS/2-Connector (see the below image - ignore the arrows, I just was lazy and used the image from @HackaShaq's first post in this Guide)

audio-dual-jpg.333170

I wish there was a way to charge my devices faster.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Hi @hackmymac. From memory, USB2 is specified at a maximum of 500ma, USB3 (USB3.1 Gen 1) is up to 900ma. The Red and USB C ports are USB 3.1 Gen II and as such should be able to provide up to 1.5A.... I'm not at my study computer ATM (late here in Australia), but tomorrow I'll connect my iPhone to my USB power meter (it's an inline meter that measures the voltage levels and current draw), to check for you.

Also, you could use a powered USB hub.

Back