Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gabedamien's first build: Maximus V Gene - 3770K - 16GB RAM - GTX 670 - FT03 - OS X 10.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I want to buy a computer for purposes Daw. Daw as I thought of putting OSx. The component that I'm thinking of buying, Asus Maximus Gene V.

What do you think? audio works?, usb lan ports?

as Nvidia video card that you recommend? thanks

The Maximus V Gene has a possible issue with the analog audio out ports on the back. Some people get popping on the green jack (stereo out). Some do not.

However, for true DAW work this probably wouldn't be a big issue since you can use the digital TOSLINK out to connect to your own audio setup.

LAN works perfectly. Most USB functionality works, but USB 2 storage devices don't work on the USB 3 ports. Also, some of the rear USB 3 ports may or may not work depending on how you approach the issue.

I wouldn't think the graphics card would matter for a DAW. Does it? I assume RAM, CPU, and HDD space would be bigger concerns.

I guess thats what it is. I have multiple USB 2.0 devices and thats all I have tried. Let me give the 3.0 thumb drive I have a shot. Was just hoping to use my externals with the front USB plugs. Oh well.

I used your instructions to get my Sabertooth build running - and it does. Perfectly fine!
I first tried to use the patched Aicpupm, but didn't get any good results there so I decided to flash the BIOS. Worked!
I have a super fast working build now!

Thanks!!

By the way: To get it all silent, my custom water cooling loop is on the way. The stock cooler is the loudest cooler I've ever used! Even louder than my MacBook Pro...

Awesome!

LOL @ stock cooler. Wish Intel would save us the $$ for that useless block of aluminum and just ship its chips unaccompanied. Still, I guess it's a handy backup in case the worst should ever happen.

Sabertooth seems like a really cool board, hope you can post some pics once your loop is set up.

Cheers (and Happy New Year!),
—G

Yup, a jet taking off is nothing against the stock cooler in idle :p

Although at least I have some sort of cooling right now, because at least I could set the whole thing up while waiting for the water cooling parts to arrive. Definately gonna show you some photos if you like :)

It's a good board and you can find a guide for it in the golden builds part of the forum and I can confirm that bacause I have the Maximus V Formula and its pretty much the same and mine is working, just be sure to download the bios patch to enable sleep.

here is the guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...3770-hd4k-32gb-ram-hotswap-hdds-10-8-2-a.html

here is the bios patch: http://biosrepo.wordpress.com/asus/z77/

just in case u ask, the bios is the same onto with miner things added to enable sleep but no new settings or anything and you can always reflash the original bios.Hope is helps

I now have working USB2 on the USB3 ports.

As in, USB 2.0 storage devices (drives, iPad, cameras, whatever)? Mice and keyboards have always worked.

If so... care to let us know how? This would be a really nice thing to check off, it's one of the last functionality issues left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back