Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3, i52500k, Rad HD 6850, Lion/SnoLe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I accidently put windows on another hard drive while the OSC drive was installed, oops. Bootloader, it loads eventualyl, but it appears that darwin is gone. Starting again - Windows on it's own HD, disconnect disk, and then OSX on it's own disk, and THEN reconnect stuff up.

I just wanted to thank everyone here for their willingness to help others. The spirit of this
community is great, and I hope to contribute to it. I built my rig last weekend, but am just
getting around to optimizing it & copying over files from my old machine this weekend.

@ Frostcall: Thanks for this guide, I followed 95% of it, but tweaked the Multibeast portion
a bit. It was pretty much painless to get this build going with your guide. :clap:

@ wanye: Thank you for the tip about the Onboard VGA setting, that has dramatically
chopped my boot time down to just 10 seconds on the Apple screen now! :thumbup:

Sleep works, but the only thing I've found is that USB is disabled after it (have to re-plug
Apple USB keyboard). Is this just how it is? I can live with it as I don't sleep my macs
much, but wanted to check. I am holding off on Lion for the time being.

Thanks again to all...

PolishTea said:
I'm having a similar problem. Followed the directions to the letter, ram out, bios set, 10.6.8 helper used. Installed Radeon 6850.

Restart left with a KP instantly at the gray screen. I can read:

"panic(cpu 0 caller 0x563ebd): "Unable to find driver for this platform: \ACPI\". /n ........etc etc

Resetting the BIOS from ACPI to use IDE doesnt seem to help. :/

I ended up fixing my issue with boot up - I was using the supplied DSDT file in frostcall's OP when I should have been using the specific F5 version from the database here - I now have a booted up system and my 6850 running but frankly the system is very unstable. I get KPs while sitting idle. I also don't have networking or audio set up yet. I've tried Lnx2Mac's RTL81xx driver and the supplied options in multibeast to no avail yet. Any suggestions out there?

I just want to give a big thanks to Frostcall and the rest of this community! I have FINALLY gotten my first hackintosh (and actually my first computer build) fully operational (sleep, network, audio all working) after several failed attempts... possibly up to 20... :oops:
Here are my specs:
OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard
Mobo: Gigabyte Z68MX-UD2H-B3
CPU: Intel Core i7 -2600K 3.4 GHz (OCed to 4.0 GHz)
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600 MHz
GPU: Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 6870 1 GB
System Drive: 60 GB OCZ Vertex SATA II SSD
Data Drive: 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint 7200 RPM HDD
Corsair H50 Hydro CPU Cooler

A few things that I learned the hard way that I would like to emphasize...

-As previously mentioned in this thread, DVI to VGA adapter WILL NOT WORK with Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 6870. This was a cause of much wasted time and frustration... once I purchased a DVI cable, my problems were solved.
-I had a lot of problems getting my Mbox 2 Pro working via firewire... It would show up in system profiler as being connected, but neither the Audio MIDI setup, Protools, or Core Audio Manager would recognize it. It turns out the OS needs to be in 32-bit in order to cooperate with the hardware. I spent a lot of time troubleshooting this issue so I want to make sure I put it out there for anyone else experiencing these problems!

One issue i am still having is being unable to record and playback audio at 88.2kHz. not sure yet if it is an issue with the Mbox or with the OS, but it is fairly minor at the moment. I am extremely pleased and would like to say thanks again; I LOVE MY HACKINTOSH :D

mowakk:
is your sleep really working ? there is no problem with waking up ? did you try to wake up by keyboard or mouse ?

Sleep works! The only issue is that the Mbox goes into standby mode and won't wake up when the computer does. It's easily solved by unplugging it and plugging it back in. I wake it up with the keyboard. I think clicking the mouse works as well, but I will have to check again when I get home to be sure.

EDIT: just checked, clicking the mouse does wake it up:)

Thanks Frost call for this great guide it has been an epic journey with many hurdles along the way. I have now got a great dual boot system in a stunning G5 and am very happy with the build.
http://flic.kr/p/admcxc
http://flic.kr/p/admdek

My only issue and the only thing I cannot get to work is the sleep function, it is really bugging me as it is the last hurdle to jump, to have a fully fully functioning system.
When I try and enter sleep, the system just starts to reboot but crashes and reboots and carries on doing this in a loop, the only way to stop this is to pull the plug...

Can anyone please help me with getting this working?

I'm seriously perplexed right now as I seem to be the only person with issues getting a fully functional hackintosh running on this hardware right now (besides minor issues like sleep).

I've installed a base of 10.6.0 and updated it to 10.6.8 using the combo updater and helper successfully and used the DSDT.aml from the database here.

Despite having run multibeast exactly as frostcall's screenshot suggests, I cannot get networking or audio working. Running multibeast a second or third time only seems to lead to kernal panics during boot up. Installing Lnx2mac networking solution on it's own doesnt seem to help either.

I'm really not sure where to go from here. :crazy:

7th times the charm? Seems to be working and stable right now, networking and audio running for the first time as well...

Hey PolishTea, so what changed on install attempt #7? I sure hope it was something; if you're doing the same thing over and over and for some reason it suddenly works the seventh time, that's more disturbing than if it never works.

The only thing different I did this time compared to the last 2 was that I instead of wiping the drive completely clean was I installed 10.6.0 *over* the last failed 10.6.8 (and multibeast). When I launched to 10.6.0 I did a doubletake because it launched directly to the desktop without setting up a user account, it found the previous one. I had the combo updater/helper/multibest sitting on the desktop where I left them already from the previous attempt even. I double checked and it sure enough was 10.6.0 and not 10.6.8 still.

The last three tries I was under 4gb ram, no graphics card, same checkboxes in multibeast, same DSDT file. Dunno what the magic was this time but it worked. All the rest of the times, even the smoothest, I never got an active networking driver running or audio, which was then followed by stability issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back