Contribute
Register

[Success] First Build, Core i5-8400, GA Z370N WIFI, i630, Airport card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I managed to get the USB to boot, for some reason my version of DiskUtility did not give me an option to use a GUID partition scheme so formatting using diskUtil on the command line did the trick and it booted the first time.

How did you manage to fix the graphics acceleration? For now, I have only used MultiBeast to get the machine to boot and installed the drivers for the Ethernet and IGFX but I have the 7MB issue now
As per rules, please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier
https://www.tonymacx86.com/account/

Hi all, I managed to get the USB to boot, for some reason my version of DiskUtility did not give me an option to use a GUID partition scheme so formatting using diskUtil on the command line did the trick and it booted the first time.

How did you manage to fix the graphics acceleration? For now, I have only used MultiBeast to get the machine to boot and installed the drivers for the Ethernet and IGFX but I have the 7MB issue now

Try Disk Utility > View > Show All Devices
Format the target drive (not the volume or the container).

Graphics ... do you have these BIOS settings?
>Peripherals>Integrated Display Output = IGFX
>Chipset>Integrated Graphics = Enabled
>Chipset>DVMT Pre-Allocated = 128

Last edited:
Great Work @b.kind, followed your guide and it was a success! Any chance you could update the custom SSDT to include the Type-C port? Am not quite an advanced user so would be grateful if you could, Thanks

Thank you for the kind words. Glad it was helpful.
Here is the SSDT-UIAC.dsl which includes the USB 3.0 Type C port.

Attachments

• SSDT-UIAC.dsl
    4 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
@b.kind, Hey, thanks for your massive work on this thread. It's perfectly documented and is a pleasure to work with - kudos to you!
I'd like to use the h/w config to build my machine as I need an agile machine for everyday use and a lot of multitasking. Would you change your peripherals in any way to improve the system?

Also, does the system still seem fragile after a while of use and tweaking?

Separately to this, in your motherboard choices you seem to have a mix of GA-Z270N-WIFI (title), H370N (amazon link) nad z370n that you are actually using.

...Separately to this, in your motherboard choices you seem to have a mix of GA-Z270N-WIFI (title), H370N (amazon link) nad z370n that you are actually using.
Fixed the links for @b.kind.

@Misza,
Thank you for the kind words (and the fixed link). Glad you like the write-up.

'Fragile' is too strong a word, I should change that. Having issues with a few apps.
  • MS-Office 365 would not load. No surprise, MS apps for macOS famously mess with the system folders.
  • Chrome 68 & 69 simply would not run, but Chrome 70 (released just yesterday) runs fine.
  • flux (an app that changes the color settings of the monitor) somehow made the machine unbootable, probably by messing with the EFI.
Early on, fixing one issue broke another. For example, fixing USB broke Audio. (You just install USB before Audio, but you have to figure it out.)

These issues aside, the box is stable. No crashes, no sleep / wake issues, etc. Everything just works.

If you purchase these same components, the build should be pretty fast. (The case is a pleasure to work with.)
The basic installation (without USB and Audio) is pretty simple.
USB and Audio are more complex - just take each one step by step.

If you get stuck, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back