Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5
CPU
Core i7-6700K
Graphics
EVGA GTX 950
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi there!
I have finally ordered my new Hackintosh from scratch. I use only parts from Buying Guide / CustoMac Pro:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5
CPU: Core i7-6700K
Graphics: EVGA GTX 950

Other Hardware

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (16GB)
Corsair H60 (Water)
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Corsair RM 650 Watt
Corsair Carbide 300R
TP-Link PCI Express Wifi Adapter (N)
Dell UltraSharp U2414H

I´m reading through this forum for quite a while now, but I have some questions considering a Skylake build. Since the recommendation for this system is pretty new, I’m loosing the overview between old and new information. Maybe you can help me to clear things up:

1. Can I just follow this Guide for installing 10.11.4 on my configuration (using the new MultiBeast)?
  2. Are there special needs – drivers – configs etc. I should install / you would recommend me?
  3. What about overclocking the CPU or RAM? -> Good, bad, depends, … ?
  4. What about: iMessage, Continuity Feature, answering Calls from iPhone (don’t know the feature name), etc. What is working, or (how) can i use those features?
  5. I´ve read about several issues with Graphics. Can I use HDMI for my Monitor?
  6. I´ve now ordered the Graphic Card mentioned above. Is it still usefull since the integrated Graphic chip now works?
    NOTE: I won’t use my Hackintosh for gaming, but for Creative Suite (After Effects, PS, etc), 3D, Music Production, Video Editing.
  7. Is there a list of Software i should not use with Hackintosh (for example I´ve read that Little Snitch shouldn’t be installed since it comes with some kernal extension)?
  8. Any suggestions for me? :)
Thanks to everybody in this great community!
Oisky

Ok Maybe too much questions in on threat. But maybe someone can answer me the most important ones:
  1. Are there special needs – drivers – configs etc. I should install / you would recommend me?
  2. What about: iMessage, Continuity Feature, answering Calls from iPhone (don’t know the feature name), etc. What is working, or (how) can i use those features?
Thanks in advance, i will post an tutorial if my build is successful!
oisky

Were you successful? I am also planning a new build with the Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 5.

I'm looking at the same rigg, sorry i'm not the right person to answer your questios, but i would really like to know how the build went before ordering if you have any updates?

Unfortunately Amazon had a shipping lack … i get my parts within the the next 2-3 days. So I will assemble and install my Hackintosh on Thursday/Friday … after this i give you a detailed overview how everything went.
But as far as i read around on this forum and especially tonymacs post it should work out pretty smoothly.

I have a gigabyte z170 gaming 5, i7 6700k and GTX 960 and i can not make it to install. The installation stops at apple logo. i made the usb stick with unibeast 6.2 and i made all the settings at bios. I am trying 2 days with no luck.

I have a gigabyte z170 gaming 5, i7 6700k and GTX 960 and i can not make it to install. The installation stops at apple logo. i made the usb stick with unibeast 6.2 and i made all the settings at bios. I am trying 2 days with no luck.

If you're trying to install with your 960, you'll need to enter the boot flag nv_disable=1 each time you boot until you get fully installed and are able to install the NVIDIA alternate drivers.

See here for details: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/how-to-enter-edit-boot-flags-in-clover.174319/

I did it with this boot flag and I have the same kernel panic

IMG_0449.jpg

I also tried with the internal graphic card but still the same. Maybe i do something wrong with the bios settings.

Last edited:
I did it with this boot flag and I have the same kernel panic

View attachment 194862

I also tried with the internal graphic card but still the same. Maybe i do something wrong with the bios settings.

Yes that looks like you haven't turned off IO SerialPort- recheck bios settings.

Yes that looks like you haven't turned off IO SerialPort- recheck bios settings.

Yes, I found that it was the problem. Thank you very much. But now I have another problem with App Store. When I try to download a free app, it asks me to sign in with my password and then it asks again my password while the button now says buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back