Register

[SUCCESS] Celeri's "Silent Mini Beast" — Z690M-ITX/ax + i5-12600 + RX 6600

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2022-12-10 в 09.37.27.png
    Снимок экрана 2022-12-10 в 09.37.27.png
    268.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Powercolor AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT Red Devil OC​

I dunno man, this almost looks like a score from a 110W RX 6600 non XT. Are you sure this is a real XT? Did you buy it from a reputable retailer brand-new?

I dunno man, this almost looks like a score from a 110W RX 6600 non XT. Are you sure this is a real XT? Did you buy it from a reputable retailer brand-new?
Yes, of course.I bought it brand new.

If I use RX 5700 XT or RX 6600 XT, is it the same EFI or must I change some setting? Thanks.

If I use RX 5700 XT or RX 6600 XT, is it the same EFI or must I change some setting? Thanks.
Sorry, I don't own these two cards so I can't test them for you. One thing to note is the "Requires agdpmod=pikera in boot-args" for Navi. Since both RX 5700 XT and 6600 XT are Navi based, I think these cards are interchangeable.

Hi,

First of all thank you very much for sharing with us @Celeri! Black Friday was a good opportunity for a build.Therefore, I jumped and bought a similar but cheaper build:
- Z690M-ITX/ac
- Core i5-12400F
- Patriot 32GB DDR4 (single)
- Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB
- Gigabyte RX 6600 Eagle
- WD SN570 2TB
- BCM94360NG (on its way)

The major difference is the case: I wanted to have front USB-C. Therefore, I got a Lian Li TU150F (nice & cheap). I installed Ventura 13.0.1 and used your EFI folder with some minor changes as you highlighted in the description, everything is working fine and the benchmarks results are great ! And that was super easy, thanks to you.

The only issue I'm struggling with is the head/front USB-C on the case, I can't get it working, and I'm unable to map it. Could you explain how you did the mapping ? I tried the tuto with Hackintool, but nothing so far...
Sorry for my late answer, it seems that the site is not sending me notifications by mail anymore, that is a bit strange...

Anyway it is great to hear that your machine works well!

As for the port mapping, it is a 3-step process:
  1. first you have to identify the available ports
  2. then you choose which ports you want to enable
  3. finally you map them in a SSDT or KEXT file
For #1, I used the tool described in Dortania's guide. I find it better to run it under Windows, since it does not have macOS's limitations on USB, so you do not have to worry on how to activate all the ports.

Once you have written down all the ports you have and made sure to know which correspond to which plug (keeping in mind that if you want USB2+USB3 on one physical ports, it takes 2) and made your choice on which 15 of them you want to enable, you can proceed to the mapping. For this, my preference is to take an existing KEXT and modify its "Info.plist" with a PLIST editor (such as PListEdit Pro) accordingly to my design. The items you want to modify are:
  • in the key "IOKitPersonalities" → "<MACHINE_PROFILE>-XHCI" → "IOProviderMergeProperties" → "ports". The syntax is fairly straightforward to understand, just make sure to associate the right port name to the right address (02000000 for HS2, 14000000 for SS4, etc.) and the right kind of protocol, as described in Dortania's guide (0 for USB3, 3 for USB3, 9 or 10 for USB-C, 255 for Internal)
  • the "port-count" key has to match the highest address among your existing ports
  • the "model" key has to match your machine profile
After that, move the KEXT to your "kexts" folder — and do not forget to add it in your OC config!

If your USB-C plug is connected to the 19-pin "USB3_12" header port on the motherboard, then it shoud be mapped through HS02/SS06 or HS03/SS07. But I guess it is more likely to be connected to the "F_USB3_TC_1" port? In this case, I do not know its name and address, and the tool used in step #1 should be able to tell you.

Last edited:
First of all: thanks to @Celeri for making my installation much easier than expected with your great thread and uploaded EFI zip-file!

This is my first Hackintosh build although I have used Macs for several decades and built several PCs 1-2 decades ago.

I used @Celeri's EFI as a starting point and made some changes using OCAuxiliary Tools to reflect my setup (see below).

ProcessorType is set to 3841. CPU name is hard coded as a string entry in NVRAM based on the result from running "sysctl machdep.cpu.brand_string" in terminal. The CPUTopologyRebuild and RestrictEvents kexts was added in addition to some other adjustments based on @ddmilkshake post to adapt the setup for the i5-13600K.

Everything on the system that I have tested so far seems to be working great except one issue:
I'm running Ventura 13.0.1 on this machine (what I initially set up the machine with) and Software Update under MacOS System Settings reports that no updates are available, event though 13.1 should be available (I had no problems upgrading my Mac Mini M1 to 13.1). I assume this might have something to do with how the CPU is defined in the config.plist???

Has anybody else run into this issue/have pointers to how to fix this?

Trying to get this working I have made several changes to the config.plist with no success. However the CPU information is working in HWMonitorSMC2 without running the Intel Power Gadget after the adjustments.

Let me know if I should upload the config.plist for further examination etc.

My components
  • CPU : Intel Core i5-13600K (3.5 GHz)
  • Motherboard : ASRock Z690M Z690M-ITX/ax
  • GPU : SASUS TUF RX 6900 XT 16GB
  • RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18
  • SSD : WD Black SN850 2TB (2 partitions: MacOS and Time machine) & WD Blue SN550 1TB (Win 11 Pro)
  • Cooler : Artic Liquid Freezer II 240
  • Power Supply : Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold
  • Intake fans : Artic P12 PWM PST
  • Case : Cooler Master NR200P
  • WF+BT : BCM94360NG 802.11AC M.2 WiFi Bluetooth Adapter

Attachments

• CPUID.png
    CPUID.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 67
  • NVRAM CPU name.png
    NVRAM CPU name.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 56
  • PI.png
    PI.png
    28 KB · Views: 60
  • SMBIOS.png
    SMBIOS.png
    95.5 KB · Views: 50
  • SCR-20221220-lez.png
    SCR-20221220-lez.png
    119.7 KB · Views: 56
  • No updates available.png
    No updates available.png
    22.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Update settings.png
    Update settings.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 57
  • System info.png
    System info.png
    78 KB · Views: 64
  • CPU sensor reading.png
    CPU sensor reading.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 70
Everything on the system that I have tested so far seems to be working great except one issue:
I'm running Ventura 13.0.1 on this machine (what I initially set up the machine with) and Software Update under MacOS System Settings reports that no updates are available, event though 13.1 should be available (I had no problems upgrading my Mac Mini M1 to 13.1). I assume this might have something to do with how the CPU is defined in the config.plist???

Has anybody else run into this issue/have pointers to how to fix this?
I was having the same problem with my former hackintosh, but never really took the time to investigate the root cause. I found it was a rather good protection against making an update without the required preparation on a hackintosh... and also my System Preferences app was not spoiled by the (1) red badge all the time! ;) And when I did want to upgrade, I just went to the App Store to download the current version of macOS installer and run it.

I cannot really help you on this, sorry, but you should have a second thought on this: your hackintosh is NOT a Mac, any unprepared change from Apple can basically kill it, so OTA updates are not really something you should seek for in my view.

Hi @Celeri and many thanks for sharing your build!

I'm thinking about building a mini hack myself...what do you think about this Asrock mobo? Is it the first Asrock you use? Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of this brand, don't think it's the most reliable....
The problem is that it seems to be the ONLY z690 itx with DDR4!

Maybe you just solved, but look at this: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-i7-12700k-amd-rx-6800-xt.318311/post-2354544

Back