Contribute
Register

[success] cconsoli i5 4670k [email protected] - Sabertooth Z87 - Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X 3GB - dual monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
See the MultiBeast Features document, page 6, or at MultiBeast.com.

Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC Plugins > FakeSMC HWMonitor Application

Found it and got it working, at last. At first I had a kernel panic, probably because I did not select FakeSMC Plugin along with HW monitor. Here is what it does show (click to enlarge):

hwmonitor.jpg

Strange that CPU frequency appears capped at 4 Ghz, while Intel Power Gadget shows 4.2 Ghz, as shown below.
Geez, the Sabertooth mobo is really effective in term of cooling of the whole system, with all these sensors and how the fan ("Ventole" in the graph) are tuned, it keeps all cool even with no water cooling.

No mention of the "Turbo Frequencies" anyway!
What does that mean ?

>> 20140516 Update: Just downloaded and installed Mavericks 10.9.3, all went ok.

cconsoli's Haswell ATX:
Mavericks 10.9 - Sabertooth Z87 - [email protected] -
Radeon R9 280X Vapor-x 3GB Dual Monitor
Codename: PowerNEO

Hi cconsoli. Your build looks very nice. How did you manage to get your 280x working with two monitors? And do you happen to know if the Sapphire 280x Toxic will work as nicely as your card?

Hi cconsoli. Your build looks very nice. How did you manage to get your 280x working with two monitors? And do you happen to know if the Sapphire 280x Toxic will work as nicely as your card?

Hi,
actually the dual monitor worked out of the box, and I am really surprised, since the Vapor X is not listed among the officially compatible graphic cards. However, the chipset is the same as in the ATI Radeon 7xxx series, with 3 gigs of RAM. So I think that your toxic series should behave the same way, as long as they have the same chipset.
Just give it a try: it should work just by plugging two monitors and nothing else.
Let me know!
Carlo

@nikezz: still have to run again Geekbench, will do it ASAP

Hi,
actually the dual monitor worked out of the box, and I am really surprised, since the Vapor X is not listed among the officially compatible graphic cards. However, the chipset is the same as in the ATI Radeon 7xxx series, with 3 gigs of RAM. So I think that your toxic series should behave the same way, as long as they have the same chipset.
Just give it a try: it should work just by plugging two monitors and nothing else.
Let me know!
Carlo

@nikezz: still have to run again Geekbench, will do it ASAP

Thanks for the heads up. However, I am looking for parts for my first Hackintosh and I want to be pretty sure that all the hardware works as intended. Information on the behaviour of 270x and 280x cards is hard to find. However, it is great to hear that yours worked out of the box.
I did read a success story about the 280x from Asus, which has exactly the same output ports as your Sapphire. Maybe the compatibility has something to do with this?

I did read a success story about the 280x from Asus, which has exactly the same output ports as your Sapphire. Maybe the compatibility has something to do with this?

.... mmmhhh, I think this can be risky. Many cards have a similar/same output layout. The trick is in the chipset. What I would do is to use a card that someone else in the forum already used. At the moment the Vapor-X in PowerNEO performs incredibly!

.... mmmhhh, I think this can be risky. Many cards have a similar/same output layout. The trick is in the chipset. What I would do is to use a card that someone else in the forum already used. At the moment the Vapor-X in PowerNEO performs incredibly!

I still haven't decided between the Sapphire 270x Toxic or 280x Toxic. I will probably not need the power of the 280x, but if its compatibility is better and supports two monitors, I will spend the extra money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back