Contribute
Register

[Success!!!] Build: ATX GA-Z87X-UD4H - i7-4790K - EVGA GTX-770 4GB Dual-Boot Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you initially have any problems getting the thing to POST? I am on my 2nd board: if I enable dual bios, it will just keep power cycling, never hitting POST. If I disable dual BIOS, it never POSTs, but stop power cycling. I am starting to wonder if it's the CPU itself.

I am experiencing this same problem with this build. Dual BIOS continually power cycles, disabling dual BIOS stops power cycling but I have no video (onboard or GPU) so I can't update BIOS. Luiz0992 says: -First update my BIOS to F10c because it fixes many bugs between this motherboard and the processor. Other forums say it is necessary to update BIOS with an older CPU before installing the 4790K into the Z87X-UD4H board. However, this is a new build and I don't have an older compatible CPU.

Must I install an older CPU, then update BIOS? Or is there some other way to update BIOS?

Answered my own question, and wanted to share in case anyone else runs into this problem on a new build. I picked up a new Pentium G3220 today for $35, dropped it into the GA-Z87X-UD4H and bingo, the machine passed POST and I was able to update BIOS to F10. Swapped in the i7-4790K and voila, all good.

Luiz0992, thank you for giving me the courage to go with the i7-4790K!

Answered my own question, and wanted to share in case anyone else runs into this problem on a new build. I picked up a new Pentium G3220 today for $35, dropped it into the GA-Z87X-UD4H and bingo, the machine passed POST and I was able to update BIOS to F10. Swapped in the i7-4790K and voila, all good.

Luiz0992, thank you for giving me the courage to go with the i7-4790K!

Great!!!

Actually I updated my BIOS from F9 to F10c using my processor i7-4970K and it worked.

But I am happy for you!!!

:D

I have mostly the same setup including the same motherboard.
I have Mavericks running pretty much flawlessly, but my dual booting isn't really working for me. I can get to windows but not through Chimera.

i tried using the guide to dual booting and I can't tell how to not screw it up. My guess is UEFI mode was on and needs to be off or something.. I am really clueless and I can't find a simple answer for what I did wrong.

I have mavericks installed on one drive.
I have windows 7 installed on another drive.

I can can get to mavericks when chimera loads it without me touching anything.
if I hit a key then try to choose either my Mavericks install or the Windows install (no system reserved shows) I just get a notice that bootmgr is missing and I have to restart.

Do I need to change something in my bios and reinstall windows?

I just followed this tutorial

http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html

And it worked perfectly. I recommend you use it too.

I just updated the post today!!!

Take a look.

What rev of the z87x ud5h do you have? Mine says Rev 1.1 and will not boot into BIOS and restarts every 3 seconds.

If I return the 4790K and use a 4770K will I have the same issues?

Thanks for any help, I've been trying all day I can't get this Z87X UD5H to work with this i7 4790K :(

I don't have UD5H, I have a UD4H but anyway I think you don't need to return the i7 4790K. Maybe you need to update your BIOS for a more recent one. I think all Z87X works with 4790K.

Take a look at this link and find you BIOS and install it.
http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte/28441-gigabyte-latest-beta-bios.html

or enter gigabyte website and download the lastest BIOS and see if it support 4790K.

If you want to return it, I am sure 4770K will work with no problems.

hi guys, thanks for your experience with the ud5h bios flashing solution for the 4790k .. i couldn't figure out how to solve the bios problem until i found you here.
i'll let u know if i'll solve it successfully.

Hey! Great Build! I'm actually doing the same build but I'm running into an issue on the install. There a few difference where I'm using the internal graphics and not a GFX card.

I get this hang up. Do you know where i might have gone wrong?

File_000.jpg

I have the Same error have you a result?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back