Contribute
Register

[Success] BoomR's 360/VR Production Build > GA-Z170X-DESIGNARE - i7 6700K - NVIDIA GTX 970

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those interested in getting wake-from-sleep to work here are my DSDT patches and config file. I'll post more details on my build but as I mentioned they're pretty similar to BoomR's. I'll also try and reference the tutorials for each of the following fixes.

NOTABLE ADDITIONS
  1. I remapped the USB ports down to 14 by disabling the internal F_USB1 & F_USB2 USB headers since I don't use them (SSDT-USB.aml).
  2. I have the NVMe patch for my Samsung 960 Evo (SSDT-NVMe-Pcc.aml).
  3. I also have enabled speed stepping for my 6700K (SSDT-CPU.aml).
  4. (SSDT-GFX1.aml, SSDT-GFX2.aml) are used to change the DSDT identifiers of my two graphics cards, a GTX 660Ti & GT 640. They're both Kepler cards so they work natively without having to use Nvidia's third party drivers. My biggest challenge has been getting the cards working in conjunction with the IGPU Intel 530. The cards work fine but enabling internal graphics is a no go.
WORKS IN PROCESS
  1. Thunderbolt seems to be working but I don't have any devices to test it with.
  2. The USB 3.1 USB-C ports work but there's a performance issue.
  3. Getting the internal graphics working WITH the discrete cards. I have a feeling this may never work.
  4. Then there's the boot on mouse/keyboard thing.

Huh you don't have a SSDT to enable LPC so native power management / sleep should't be working that great for you.

And you're not loosing FW connectivity on wake? and Built in Audio works? I'm so confused as your Clover config is super bare bones.

For the LPC enabler Kext check Violet Dragons GitHub.

https://github.com/VoiletDragon/Series-100-Patches

Huh you don't have a SSDT to enable LPC so native power management / sleep should't be working that great for you.

And you're not loosing FW connectivity on wake? and Built in Audio works? I'm so confused as your Clover config is super bare bones.

For the LPC enabler Kext check Violet Dragons GitHub.

https://github.com/VoiletDragon/Series-100-Patches

Good questions.
  • Audio appears to work but I don't have a full surround or optical hooked up to it to be 100% sure. All input and outputs appear in System Preferences. I do know line out works.
  • By FW I assume you mean Firewire? There aren't any firewire ports so I don't have that problem. Historically none of my builds ever had Firewire working though.
  • I'll investigate LPC but that doesn't seem to be an issue. I've attached my ioreg file for more reference.
  • Sleep works like a charm. I even double checked before posting this.

Attachments

• kDawg HackPro.ioreg
    4.5 MB · Views: 120
OK I figured out the start on mouse/keyboard problem. If you enable ErP in Bios, the booting on mouse/keyboard action will stop–however I also think Wake On Lan will also stop working. I'll need to test this but at least I can shut down the computer down without it waking it every time I accidentally nudge the mouse.

Hi!

I'm creating my first Hackintosh based on this motherboard (GA-Z170X-Designare), and so am pretty new to this whole process.

Thank you for a great write-up! It's write-ups like this and many others that helps us newbies learn new tricks! (Especially when I know less than I should about the hardware my software runs on! :) )

Thanks,

-- Mark

Last edited:
Question about the NVME drive: if I follow these instructions, should I see the NVME drive in Disk Utility after booting my Unibeast USB drive?

I don't see it there, so I can't erase it, format it, and have the Sierra installer install to it. I'm sure I've made a newbie mistake and any guidance would be much appreciated.

I have an:

Intel 600p Series 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive​

and, using Windows and your earlier instructions, I determined its path to be:

\_SB.PCI0.RP17.PXSX​

Using that information, I followed the three steps you outlined above.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

-- Mark

Question about the NVME drive: if I follow these instructions, should I see the NVME drive in Disk Utility after booting my Unibeast USB drive?

Yes - the m.2 drive should appear in Disk Utility so you can partition/format, and then install. If you are having issues, you might want to post on the original thread for M.2 support that I linked to at the top of this thread & see if RehabMan can help you troubleshoot your issue. I'm no expert by any means. I was running into a similar problem & he helped me iron it out.

Yes - the m.2 drive should appear in Disk Utility so you can partition/format, and then install. If you are having issues, you might want to post on the original thread for M.2 support that I linked to at the top of this thread & see if RehabMan can help you troubleshoot your issue. I'm no expert by any means. I was running into a similar problem & he helped me iron it out.

Ok. Thanks for the pointer. :)

-- Mark

Wow! Such a great build!
How about fan noise? In my studio i can't get the case in another room, so i would go for a total fanless build...any suggestions?
thanks!

Wow! Such a great build!
How about fan noise? In my studio i can't get the case in another room, so i would go for a total fanless build...any suggestions?
thanks!
Here's a great article on things you can do to help reduce PC noise. With the workload of a music or multimedia PC with bigger projects, I would be a little skeptical of a fanless build. Remember, you'll need to find a fan-less CPU cooler, fanless video card, and fanless power supply for a true fanless build.

many thanks for the info! should i consider as a first noise lowering solution all those low noise products on SilentPC site and the likes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back