Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Big Sur on GA-Z270X Gaming 5 + i7-7700K + RX580

Very difficult to get the USB C 3.1 (gen 2) working unfortunately :-/

Very difficult to get the USB C 3.1 (gen 2) working unfortunately :-/
Hi,
Big Sur 11.1 is now loading a kext AppleASMediaUSBXHCI responsible to work with the new fresh USB controller named ASM3142 in replace of ASM2142, but most of our boards have ASM2142. Apple is now loading this new kext and we end up with no USB 3.1. I was able to solve it using this thread. So it's needed to add an additional kext named ASMedia.kext and you need to edit your USBMap.kext as well.

USBMap.kext

1. change IOClass from AppleUSBMergeNub to AppleUSBXHCIPCI
2. change CFBundleIdentifier from com.apple.driver.AppleUSBMergeNub to com.apple.driver.usb.AppleUSBXHCIPCI
3. Remove the port mappings for this USB Controller

for your USB controller (mine is RP01 - PXSX - PXSX@01000000)

ASMedia.kext

1. All the port mappings for this USB controller from USBMap.kext (from step 3 above) must be transferred here. The properties port-count and ports must be placed here at the root.

Screenshot 2020-12-28 at 19.01.57.png

Attached you will find the USBMap.kext of my system and the ASMedia.kext from @apfelnico

Screenshot 2020-12-28 at 1.09.59.png

Screenshot 2020-12-28 at 18.57.00.png

Attachments

• USBMap.kext.zip
    4.3 KB · Views: 192
  • ASMedia.kext.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Thanks a million, everything seems to work now, USB 3.1 at 10 Gbps also :)

Hi, Dose the sidcar function work?
I have the same specs.
I can't figure out how does the function work?
How to do can get the sidercar normal?

Hi, Dose the sidcar function work?
I have the same specs.
I can't figure out how does the function work?
How to do can get the sidercar normal?
Hi, SideCar normally works with the iGPU when using the iMac SMBIOS. The iMacPro does have a T2 security chip responsible for the SideCar translation. Our mashines does not have T2s, so SideCar with iMacPro SMBIOS will never work. You need to use iMac SMBIOS with iGPU in headless or primary mode.

Hi, SideCar normally works with the iGPU when using the iMac SMBIOS. The iMacPro does have a T2 security chip responsible for the SideCar translation. Our mashines does not have T2s, so SideCar with iMacPro SMBIOS will never work. You need to use iMac SMBIOS with iGPU in headless or primary mode.
I have tried imac18.1 with 5700xt. airplay works fun! But the sidecar function still can't work.
Should I disable the pci slot,only use igpu?

I have tried imac18.1 with 5700xt. airplay works fun! But the sidecar function still can't work.
Should I disable the pci slot,only use igpu?
When only iGPU is active (5700xt is disabled or removed from slot) you need to use iMac18,1. If you use 5700xt to drive a monitor, you must enable the iGPU in headless mode (do not connect monitor to the iGPU) and use iMac18,3.

In this situations SideCar must work.

When only iGPU is active (5700xt is disabled or removed from slot) you need to use iMac18,1. If you use 5700xt to drive a monitor, you must enable the iGPU in headless mode (do not connect monitor to the iGPU) and use iMac18,3.

In this situations SideCar must work.
thx i change to imac18,3 it's working perfectly!!

Thanks for the guide.
I have a similar build:
Aorus Z270X K5
7700K / 16
NVIDIA GTX1080ti

It's pretty clear that NVIDIA is not working, so I'm setting up iGPU for video output.
I have some differences in the build above, so these are my changes:
  1. iMac18.1 (on 18.3 graphics is not working)
  2. Sidecar for native wifi driver card works out of the box. For USB wifi owners [Tut] Enable Sidecar For Unsupported Devices (USB Only) - OSx86 10.15 (Catalina) | InsanelyMac
  3. An additional key to disable external GPU -wegnoegpu darkwake=0
  4. BIOS settings initial video output=IGFX and Integrated Video: enable
  5. Several entries to fix the "purple" screen:
Снимок экрана 2021-01-23 в 18.17.40.png

I still have the following open issues:
  1. On startup the monitor screen is black and after reconnection, it starts working (update: fixed with a key igfxagdc=0 in the boot parameters to prevent the HDMI interface from being plugged in and out every time)
  2. Sleep is not working
  3. update: Fixed HIDPI resolution (scaling size) for Big Sure with mlch911/one-key-hidpi: Enable macOS HiDPI and have a native setting. (github.com).
Do you have any thoughts on where /what to do with the two points above? Thnx indeed

Last edited:
Back