Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Big Sur on GA-Z270X Gaming 5 + i7-7700K + RX580

Thanks for the guide.
I have a similar build:
Aorus Z270X K5
7700K / 16
NVIDIA GTX1080ti

It's pretty clear that NVIDIA is not working, so I'm setting up iGPU for video output.
I have some differences in the build above, so these are my changes:
  1. iMac18.1 (on 18.3 graphics is not working)
  2. An additional key to disable external GPU -wegnoegpu darkwake=0
  3. BIOS settings initial video output=IGFX and Integrated Video: enable
  4. Several entries to fix the "purple" screen:
View attachment 505949

I still have the following open issues:
  1. On startup the monitor screen is black and after reconnection, it starts working (update: fixed with a key igfxagdc=0 in the boot parameters to prevent the HDMI interface from being plugged in and out every time)
  2. Sleep is not working
Do you have any thoughts on where /what to do with the two points above? Thnx indeed

Hi and thank you for your post,
to resolve the sleep/wake issue you must disable the HDMI audio for the iGPU.

The issue, as I understand it, is that a property "hda-gfx" is erroneously injected in the HDEF audio device object and should be removed and replaced with "No-hda-gfx".
This causes kernel panic on wake from sleep under Catalina, I think it could be presented in Big Sur as well.

Code:
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1f,0x3)</key>
<dict>
    <key>No-hda-gfx</key>
    <data>
        AAAAAAAAAAA=
    </data>
</dict>

EDIT 1: December, 28, 2020 - Updated to Big Sur 11.1 and fixed USB 3.1 ASMedia USB 3.1 controller issues. More info on post 12. Updated kexts, full EFI uploaded - EFI_2020.12.28_BigSur_11.1

EDIT 2:
January, 09, 2021 - Updated to OC 0.6.5 and all the kexts. My motherboard BIOS does NOT have an option to enable/disable the CFG Lock. So I managed to find the offset and I switched it off using this thread. The offset is 0x502 with value 0x00 - off or 0x01 - on (BIOS v. F10b). The Quirks AppleCpuPmCfgLock and AppleXcpmCfgLock are now changed to NO. If you are not sure how to change this, please set them back to YES. Full EFI uploaded - EFI_2021.01.09

Currently upgraded from Catalina 10.15.7 to Big Sur 11.0.1.

Hardware

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270X Gaming 5
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 5.0GHz
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX580 4GB
Audio: Realtek ACL 1220
RAM: 4x16GB Corsair LPX 3200 MHz DDR4
Storage: 2 x Samsung 970Evo Plus 500GB + LSI SAS MegaRAID 9261-8i SAS2108 Hardware RAID Storage card
Ethernet: Intel I219V2 + Killer E2500
BT + WiFi: Broadcom BCM94360NG 802.11ac NGFF WiFi Card
Bootloader: OpenCore 0.6.3

Used kexts

AirportBrcmFixup.kext
AppleALC.kext
AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext
BrcmBluetoothInjector.kext
BrcmFirmwareData.kext
BrcmPatchRAM3.kext
IntelMausi.kext
Lilu.kext
SASMegaRAID.kext
SMCProcessor.kext
SMCSuperIO.kext
USBInjectAll.kext
USBMap.kext
VirtualSMC.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

BIOS settings

Disabled VT-d
Disabled iGPU
Disabled CSM
Disabled Fast Boot mode

Enabled Windows 8/10 UEFI boot
Enabled XHCI Hand-Off
Enabled Legacy USB Support

SATA Mode AHCI
Primary Display Graphics: PEG/PCIe Slot 1

System definition

iMacPro1,1 with iGPU disabled. Having the iGPU enabled and SMBIOS iMac18,3 my system encountered a kernel panics on every first cold boot. After switching off the iGPU the problem was gone. I was never be able to fix this.

What works

CPU power management
USB
Sound
Sleep + wake
iMessage
Handoff
AirDrop

What does NOT work

DRM content playback (broken for Big Sur)

EFI

Full EFI attached. Please use your own platform info. The resource files are removed from the EFI archive. You can download them from here
View attachment 499626
View attachment 499627
View attachment 499628
View attachment 499629
View attachment 499630
Hi there!
I am using that same kext (megaraidsas) for my raid controller and after restart everything runs great. Speedtests, performance and all. I am getting slow down to almost a halt after a while... can me minutes, can be an hour and all RAID controller drives perform at 1mb/s or something ridiculous and system becomes unusable... you ever experience any issues with your RAID controller?

Hi,
i tried using your configuration with the following setup:
- GA Z270 Gaming 5
- i7 7700k
- single sata ssd
- flashed RX590 (working on catalina / clover)
- Preinstalled OSX Catalina

I wanted to update my System to Big sur.

When starting with "Opencore" I can get into the "BootPicker" and after selecting OSX I only get a black screen and return to "BootPicker".

Thanks for your help!

Hi,
i tried using your configuration with the following setup:
- GA Z270 Gaming 5
- i7 7700k
- single sata ssd
- flashed RX590 (working on catalina / clover)
- Preinstalled OSX Catalina

I wanted to update my System to Big sur.

When starting with "Opencore" I can get into the "BootPicker" and after selecting OSX I only get a black screen and return to "BootPicker".

Thanks for your help!
Hi,
it looks like CFG Lock issue. If your BIOS is the latest one (F10b like me) you have two options:
1. The CFG Lock BIOS option is not visible, so you have to switch it OFF using this thread. The offset is 0x502 with value 0x00 - off or 0x01 - on (BIOS v. F10b).
2. Open the config.plist and set the Quirks AppleCpuPmCfgLock and AppleXcpmCfgLock to YES.

If your BIOS is not the latest one, please take the 2nd option or use the guide in option 1 to find the offset for this BIOS version.

If you take the 1st (like me), there is no need to set the quirks to YES and the system will be more reliable and stable. But keep in mind, if you reset your BIOS settings, you have to switch this option again.

At the first post of this guide (EDIT 2) there is an information regards this issue.

Try and report back. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for yout reply.
I already set those two values to true. So this should not be the problem.

I am able to boot into Recovery Mode. Maybe I should reinstall OSX from there?

Now it works.
I only did "Recovery" and then Upgrade to Big Sur.
But my CPU is only detected as "unknown". Any idea how to "fix" this?

Everything else seems to work fine!
Thanks for your EFI-Folder!

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-13 um 12.45.02.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2021-02-13 um 12.45.02.png
    96.5 KB · Views: 99
Now it works.
I only did "Recovery" and then Upgrade to Big Sur.
But my CPU is only detected as "unknown". Any idea how to "fix" this?

Everything else seems to work fine!
Thanks for your EFI-Folder!
Hi, I'm always doing a clean install on every big update (Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur). Maybe this will help with such issues

Hello!!! Other than my computer in my signature, I also have a configuration like yours EXACTLY. Just to make sure, this is still working fine right?
Thank you so much for putting this together, I am currently on Catalina with Unibeast, and would really like to try open core, which is what I think you used here.

Hey! My miniITX build is extremely similar to yours. I have a GA-Z270N - gaming 5 instead with almost all other specs the same. If you add unfairgva and run the correct whatevergreen commands found here you can get DRM working with TV and others while still enabling Sidecar.

Thank you so much @tsanko.dimitrov! I haven't had time to mess around with setting up OpenCore and getting updated past Mojave. With your EFI, I was able to get my GA-Z270-UG updated to Big Sur. I just had to add to the Quirks AppleCpuPmCfgLock and AppleXcpmCfgLock to YES.

Of course, I downloaded and made the Big Sur install this morning, and what comes out in the afternoon...

Back