Contribute
Register

[Success] - Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming + i9 10900K + OpenCore

Has anyone tried to replace the Intel WIFI card? Will a Broadcom card work with this CNVi port?
Thanks.

Well, it's that time of the month again... ;)

As usual let me know how it works for you.

View attachment 566559
View attachment 566560
View attachment 566561

IMO it serves no purpose to be on a monthly treadmill of OC updates for a working hack.

OC incremental improvements and bug fixes will not improve macOS function. Supporting modules updates might improve an edge case.

If you are OCD, read the package release notes at Acidanthera github to see if any increment pertains to a compatibility you care about. Very unlikely.

The time to review OC and update is at major macOS revisions and major HW changes.

Has anyone tried to replace the Intel WIFI card? Will a Broadcom card work with this CNVi port?
Thanks.
Search web for how-tos on getting mechanical access to the built-in Wifi card. If you find access doable, you can replace the stock wifi with a more macOS compatible module.

I don't think there's anything special about swapping out CNVI other than physical details. It's a question of whether access to the slot is worth the fuss.

Please post followup if you discover this is wrong.

One aspect that might make the effort worth it is that placement of the built-in module is shielded and may offer better signal integrity and therefore more reliable wifi/BT. Those radios are subject to interference from graphics, SATA and USB, so physical placement of wifi and antenna routing can really affect performance.

Search web for how-tos on getting mechanical access to the built-in Wifi card. If you find access doable, you can replace the stock wifi with a more macOS compatible module.

I don't think there's anything special about swapping out CNVI other than physical details. It's a question of whether access to the slot is worth the fuss.

Please post followup if you discover this is wrong.
Ok, I replaced the card, it fits physically, but it does not work. No device in the IOReg, while it worked in a ZenBook. In the Zenbook the card has moved from address 0x00140003 to 0x001D0007. It seems that I need to compare the ACPI code, but will do it tomorrow, no time now.
One aspect that might make the effort worth it is that placement of the built-in module is shielded and may offer better signal integrity and therefore more reliable wifi/BT. Those radios are subject to interference from graphics, SATA and USB, so physical placement of wifi and antenna routing can really affect performance.
I have this Broadcom NG card and no adapter, it has worked for years with a GA-Z270X-Gaming 9, I would like to keep using it.

Ok, I replaced the card, it fits physically, but it does not work. No device in the IOReg, while it worked in a ZenBook. In the Zenbook the card has moved from address 0x00140003 to 0x001D0007. It seems that I need to compare the ACPI code, but will do it tomorrow, no time now.

I have this Broadcom NG card and no adapter, it has worked for years with a GA-Z270X-Gaming 9, I would like to keep using it.
See this post here: #143
I had that board, and if I recall correctly, could not get a Broadcom BCM94360NG M2 card working. I ended up disabling the onboard CNVI card and went with a Fenvi T919 pcie card (similar to @scope666 as shown on page one).

Ok, here's the latest and greatest:

boot.png

kexts.png

ocv.png

EDIT: Added to first post.

Last edited:
I rebuilt my rig a few months ago, my son now has the 10900K machine. I would suggest updating with OCAT, it makes it really easy once you learn the app.

1696019332724.png

What is the RTX 4090 used for ?

Gaming ... right now I'm not running hackintosh on the 13900K, I have my work MBP setup with a KVM for that. I've looked into it and it can be done, but I don't think it would be as stable.

Back