Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

Hey SergDrakus. Thank you for your interest.

As a matter of fact, that's exactly what I did (CMOS). I did that, restored the default bios value in the bios to be sure, then installed windows with much trouble like I said in my last post.

I'm currently running an extensive RAM test right know to check if it is in fact and for sure, a MB issue. I'm currently at the end of the second pass of 4, and no error has been detected. I already bought a second Asroch PH-Ga ITX/ac that will be at my house on saturday.

thanks again.
Alternatively, you may have problems with the processor. However, in my experience, if the processor is damaged, the computer does not turn on at all, so this is unlikely. I hope that replacing the motherboard with a new one will solve your problem.

If it is on BIOS 4.0, you can roll back to 1.6 through Windows, and then through Windows to 1.3. After that, already through Instant Flash in BIOS up to 1.2. I myself did this a few days ago to downgrade from 4.0 to 1.6, but for a different reason.

Alternatively, you may have problems with the processor. However, in my experience, if the processor is damaged, the computer does not turn on at all, so this is unlikely. I hope that replacing the motherboard with a new one will solve your problem.

If it is on BIOS 4.0, you can roll back to 1.6 through Windows, and then through Windows to 1.3. After that, already through Instant Flash in BIOS up to 1.2. I myself did this a few days ago to downgrade from 4.0 to 1.6, but for a different reason.

I have a processor check program that I was going to run after that. Thanks, I hope it too! This problem puts me in some pretty inconfortable rush.

I read all the thread twice, and I didn't update to 4.0 because of the hussle to roll back to a previous one. And I'm not convinced this is the problem because the panic type has been really consistent in this past 3 days I have been working on this build. And with my dozen hackintoshes experienrience, you always have a breakthroug, even a little, by testing everything I have tested.

Hey there @rj510, and thank you so much for your dedication on this thread.

I ordered parts from your suggestions, and it's been 2 days I'm struggling, not being able to pass the "boot from install Mojave USB key". In fact, I got the exact same problem as @danielcarmona, stuck at either "vm swap subsystem is on" or less frequently "load_init_program: attempting to load /sbin/launchd"

And I, unfortunately, don't have a USB to M.2 adapter, but I have done a handful of hackintoshes with USB sticks, with no problems whatsoever, at least not that frustrating.

Here is my config :
2x G.skill DDR4 2133 16GB
ASRock Z390 Ph-Gam ITX
WD black NVMe SSD 500GB
Mojave 14.5.02
and a Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64. (I tried everything with and without it, with BIOS setups accordingly, but no differences.)

I tried every flavor of your BIOS setup, rechecked hundred times, coping exactly the EFI folder you provided, generated multiple SNs, switching virtualization on and off, switching RAM sticks, switching M.2 slots, switching usb ports to boot from the key, ps2 and usb keyboards, FakeSMC instead of VirtualSMC, multiple version of Clover, I even tried other EFI folders from the linked thread you, and the other on this thread were talking about. I mean, I generally don't post because information are always there, but I don't have any trick in my sleeves anymore, and yes, I read the 35 pages of this thread meticulously.

The only weird stuff I can find but not able to tweak are some non-matching frequency number on the OC tweaking part of the bios. but that must be related to my 9700k. I'm attaching a picture of it. Also, when it get stuck, my opt CPU fan gets a little crazy.

Tell me what info you need to help me. I'm really dedicated to solve this problem so I can run into other issues :)

HI, try to update the bios to 4.00, our processor is not the same as that @rj510 use, i tried everything and after that i installed windows 10, and it freezed everytime randomly after some usage .
i installed the bios version 4.00 and everything changes after that. windows worked well and finally could install a clean OS 10.14.5 mojave.
I had some trouble again yesterday when i tried to upgrade to 10.14.6
my advise to you is to:
1- bios update to 4.0 (setup equal to @rj510 printscreens)
2- take off every disk from your motherboard, m2 etc and leave only the SSD where you will install the OS.
3- make a unibeast PENDRIVE with the last version 10.14.6
4- put the @rj510 EFi folder in place and change only the SMBIOS part with new serial number and SmUUid
5- Run that pen, (you will jump from your chair now and say out loud YEAHHHH, the @rj510 is the man!!)
6- format the SSD in APFS and proceed with the instalation.
8- if all is fine and done, shut off the computer, mount the M.2 and use CARBONCOPYCLONER to transfer all from your SSD to the M.2, dont forget the EFi folder.
Its all, i hope you could do it.

Hey there @rj510, and thank you so much for your dedication on this thread.

I ordered parts from your suggestions, and it's been 2 days I'm struggling, not being able to pass the "boot from install Mojave USB key". In fact, I got the exact same problem as @danielcarmona, stuck at either "vm swap subsystem is on" or less frequently "load_init_program: attempting to load /sbin/launchd"

And I, unfortunately, don't have a USB to M.2 adapter, but I have done a handful of hackintoshes with USB sticks, with no problems whatsoever, at least not that frustrating.

Here is my config :
2x G.skill DDR4 2133 16GB
ASRock Z390 Ph-Gam ITX
WD black NVMe SSD 500GB
Mojave 14.5.02
and a Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64. (I tried everything with and without it, with BIOS setups accordingly, but no differences.)

I tried every flavor of your BIOS setup, rechecked hundred times, coping exactly the EFI folder you provided, generated multiple SNs, switching virtualization on and off, switching RAM sticks, switching M.2 slots, switching usb ports to boot from the key, ps2 and usb keyboards, FakeSMC instead of VirtualSMC, multiple version of Clover, I even tried other EFI folders from the linked thread you, and the other on this thread were talking about. I mean, I generally don't post because information are always there, but I don't have any trick in my sleeves anymore, and yes, I read the 35 pages of this thread meticulously.

The only weird stuff I can find but not able to tweak are some non-matching frequency number on the OC tweaking part of the bios. but that must be related to my 9700k. I'm attaching a picture of it. Also, when it get stuck, my opt CPU fan gets a little crazy.

Tell me what info you need to help me. I'm really dedicated to solve this problem so I can run into other issues :)

Maaan! would that be it? I'm jumping right know on my USB key to flash this BIOS. I'll catch up with you later.

I just found out the the MemoryFix.efi file was simply a re-named OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000. (Rather deceitful.)

I updated the earlier post (here) and deleted the download.

HI, try to update the bios to 4.00, our processor is not the same as that @rj510 use, i tried everything and after that i installed windows 10, and it freezed everytime randomly after some usage .
i installed the bios version 4.00 and everything changes after that. windows worked well and finally could install a clean OS 10.14.5 mojave.
my advise to you is to:
2- take off every disk from your motherboard, m2 etc and leave only the SSD where you will install the OS.
4- put the @rj510 EFi folder in place and change only the SMBIOS part with new serial number and SmUUid
5- Run that pen, (you will jump from your chair now and say out loud YEAHHHH, the @rj510 is the man!!)
8- if all is fine and done, shut off the computer, mount the M.2 and use CARBONCOPYCLONER to transfer all from your SSD to the M.2, dont forget the EFi folder.

Thanks for helping out. All that you wrote looks correct.

my advise to you is to:

Okay, back from trying to get this to work and omg, thank you so much @danielcarmona ! that was it. everything worked like a charm after that. booting on SSD, carbon copy cloning on m.2, dualbooting windows on the second m.2, no driver issue (don't know what happened with the first install), thunderbolt oob... by the way, beside all my trouble, what a wonderful work @rj510. this EFI folder is amazing. absolutely hands free. thanks to @SergDrakus for his help too.

@rj510, wanted a small factor case, but wanted the GPU inside anyway. and not the smalest! check the pictures ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1183.jpeg
    IMG_1183.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1186.jpeg
    IMG_1186.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1189.jpeg
    IMG_1189.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 88
Okay, back from trying to get this to work and omg, thank you so much @danielcarmona ! that was it. everything worked like a charm after that. booting on SSD, carbon copy cloning on m.2, dualbooting windows on the second m.2, no driver issue (don't know what happened with the first install), thunderbolt oob... by the way, beside all my trouble, what a wonderful work @rj510. this EFI folder is amazing. absolutely hands free. thanks to @SergDrakus for his help too.

@rj510, wanted a small factor case, but wanted the GPU inside anyway. and not the smalest! check the pictures ;)
After the computer wakes up from sleep, if a USB flash drive is inserted in it, you do not get the “Disk not ejected proper” error?

Screenshot 2019-07-15 at 15.49.13.png

After the computer wakes up from sleep, if a USB flash drive is inserted in it, you do not get the “Disk not ejected proper” error?

View attachment 421094

Ah, I actually do also suffer from this problem! Before, I had issues with sleep completely but never spent the time to diagnose it, so never saw this happen.

I currently have darkwake=1 and the following sleep and power settings:

Screen Shot 2019-08-09 at 9.16.45 AM.png

I don't have a solution, but since you've been asking if others have the issue I thought I should let you know. I'll experiment to try to fix it when I have time.

Also- I was able to update to 10.14.6 (18G87) without issue.

And sometime in the past couple weeks, the TB3 patch stopped working for me (USB devices aren't recognized at boot). Unfortunately I don't remember exactly the change(s) which happened and haven't had time to figure it out. Anyone else have this happen?

Last edited:
No, I've not seen the USB issue, but I don't use USB sticks. I've only connected USB SSDs. Have you tried: enable vs disabled XMP in bios and enabled XMP profile in Clover?

Another option you'll see is an app called Jettison (available from Apple App Store). It will automatically re-mount a drive after sleep. (This whole issue of some drives disappearing is not a new one for Hackintoshes and is certainly not restricted to this mobo.)

Your config file basically looks ok, but it's not the same as what's on the first post of this thread. One significant problem might be ports limits. I don't see any Clover/Boot argument: uia_exclude=HS07;HS09;HS10;HS11;HS12;HS13;SS06;SS09;SS10;USR1;USR2 (which has to be combined with USBInjectAll.kext; see first post for details).

If you don't limit ports, you're guaranteed to have USB problems.

Can you show me your drivers64uefi, kexts/other and acpi/patched folder contents (jpg image okay).

Will try about the XMP Profile.
About port limits, i thought if i use your custom USB ssdt, i dont have to use usbinjectall and some bootflags?

/edit
Im now happy with my system. USB ejects only kick out USB Sticks, my harddrive, and other devices are still okay.
Whats really funny, are your power button working ? Normaly if you hold it for 2 seconds the "sleep, restart, shutdown" menu should appear but it doesnt work for me. Not sooo tragic ; )

Attachments

• Bild 09.08.19 um 15.56.jpg
    Bild 09.08.19 um 15.56.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 79
Back