Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

These are just informational and have no bearing on this mobo and Mojave.

Sorry, my signature wasn't up to date but it's the same configuration as yours.
The PCI information is through a unique DSDT except the SMBus which is by Devices-Properties definition.
I don't have thunderbolt devices to test.

I spent most of Thursday re-testing SSDTs (again). While I can get better PCI descriptions with them (and think I better understand the RP21 bridges better), I cannot get hot-plug to work, unlike what I see on the GB Designare Z390 build, where hot-plug works just fine. The latter is Titan Ridge, not Alpine Ridge. I think we maybe stuck with no hot-plugging with the built in Alpine Ridge.
Thanks for your efforts and testing! I can live with not being able to hot-plug, but, as long as I keep the TB dock or USB-C hub plugged in, I can hot swap devices that way. I have everything working fine now; sleep is also back to mostly working. Must be some device or app that is running that sometimes prevents sleep. I also experience this on my iMac. Some days it just will not sleep, some days everything is fine.

I just want to comment on what works fine for me since you have edited your initial setup. I used the USBMap-kext from post #34. As I described in #25, I am not using any of the internal USB connectors, only WiFi/BT card (Dell DW1560). I attached my config.plist in #65.
- Sleep/shutdown
- Wifi/BT
- Handoff
- TB dock and USB-C hub works. Can hot-plug devices to the TB dock and USB-C hub but not the dock and hub itself. I wonder, do I still need both the files in ACPI/pached?

CLOVER/ACPI/patched ->
SSDT-USBX.aml
SSDT-EC.aml

CLOVER/kexts/Other ->
AirportBrcmFixup.kext
AppleALC.kext
BrcmFirmwareData.kext
BrcmPatchRAM2.kext
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
Lilu.kext
SMCLightSensor.kext
SMCProcessor.kext
SMCSuperIO.kext
USBMap-iMac18,3-ASRock-Z390-ITX-IntHSxxOff.kext
VirtualSMC.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

Thank you so much for your guide @rj510 !!! Was a great help for a fresh install! Everything is up and running and works brilliantly, even Handoff, AirDrop and iMessages. I might add that I used a different wifi card than the one you suggested; a Broadcom BCM94360CS2 with a NGFF M.2 Adapter Card Module as well as a Power Color Vega 56 Red Dragon GPU.

Card (eBay link) ››
Adapter (eBay link) ››

The only issue I have run into is that there's seems to be some sort of loudness protection when using the "Internal speakers" setting which is routed to the front panel of my case, Fractal Design Define Nano S. When listening to a podcast, or any audio where there's speech with highs and lows, the audio "clips" at loud parts and briefly decreases the volume. I can use the headphone output on the back or through my display to make it work, but the front panel output is really conveniently placed and would be my source of choice if this wasn't an issue.

Anyone else run into this problem?

My understanding is that the front panel audio quality if often not as good as that coming out of the rear panel jacks. Trying different Clover/Devices/Audio Inject (upper right corner) values may influence this output. Typical values to try are 1, 7, 11 and 16.

Update 6/18/19:
I've reviewed the ASRock forums and found that many people have issues with mobo audio controllers on their ASRock boards. The often recommended solution was to use an add-on audio processor (something we're not likely to do with a SFF build). So your problems are more likely inherent to the mobo and have little to do with it being used as a Hackintosh. (I would still try the above audio settings.)

Last edited:
Hello @rj510

With the new "v2" config.plist and patched folders, I'm not seeing all the audio output sources that I was seeing before and I am unable to use or select Digital Out as my audio selection. The screenshots below will show the differences.

The screenshot on the right is using the "USBPorts" config.plist and patched folder - which correctly lists all of the audio output options, and the other on the left is using the "v2" which has some of the audio selections missing.

View attachment 411232View attachment 411233

@rj510 bump on this question... any possibility of this being investigated?

@rj510 bump on this question... any possibility of this being investigated?

Local to the computer, I run all my audio out the TB3 into a UAD Apollo unit and then to powered desk monitors. In my home audio, I stream high res files out through the Ethernet port via Roon to an Ethernet-USB interface, then onto a DAC connected to my audio system. I've used this latter set-up for several years.

So I don't use any mobo connected audio devices, but I'll look into it over the next couple of days, but all I have to connect with will be a headphone. If your devices are directly connected to the mobo, refer to what I said in a post above:

My understanding is that the front panel audio quality if often not as good as that coming out of the rear panel jacks. Trying different Clover/Devices/Audio Inject (upper right corner) values may influence this output. Typical values to try are 1, 7, 11 and 16.

You might want to test out these settings in Clover and see how they affect your set-up (but only if the devices are directly connected to your mobo).

Or, am I misunderstanding your set-up? Are your audio devices connected using BT, Wifi, USB or ethernet? (Or various combinations of all four?)

Please elaborate on how the various devices are connected to the mobo.

Last edited:
It sounds like you should be good to go. The SSDTs are not necessary for booting, but will allow a better power management if you include at least the SSDT-EC.aml and the SSDT-USBX.aml files in the ACPI/patched folder in your EFI folder.

Speaking of which, the EFI folder is the one thing you need to look over. It is where you've got the config.plist file. It should look like the following image.
View attachment 411763

And the Clover folder like this:
View attachment 411766

The essential folders are ACPI, kexts and drivers64UEFI which I included on the first post. So if you copy those to your EFI/Clover folder, everything should work. Good luck!

Yippie-ki-yay!!! What a great feeling to boot into my shiny new Hackintosh. Thank you very much rj510 for your hard work on this thread and also for your most helpful reply. You rock!

I fixed up my EFI Folder as you instructed, and now it's pretty much smooth sailing. Sleep is even working. I haven't tested out other ports, yet. The one thing I'll try to get up and running next is Bluetooth. My card (same as yours) is detected; wi-fi works; and the system sees Bluetooth but I'm unable to pair any devices. I also noticed Airdrop isn't working, but I'll catch up on this thread and see if there's something that I missed along the way. I just wanted to pause for now and say - THANKS!

Hi guys! Thanks again for all the help so far. I have almost everything up and running, but I am running into some strange issues that I'm trying to get to the bottom of. First off, 2 USB ports on the back don't seem to work (Phantom Gaming ITX). Secondly, and more painful, is that every once in awhile the keyboard and mouse will just lag/jitter. I think it may only be when I have a Bluetooth mouse/keyboard (Magic Mouse 2) connected. Even if I'm using a USB keyboard, but have a Bluetooth keyboard or mouse connected, this will happen. I need to do more testing to isolate the problem, but has anyone else run into this?

Ok yeah I can almost 100% confirm this only happens using the Apple Magic Keyboard and Mouse. Any suggestions?

Yippie-ki-yay!!! What a great feeling to boot into my shiny new Hackintosh. Thank you very much rj510 for your hard work on this thread and also for your most helpful reply. You rock!

I fixed up my EFI Folder as you instructed, and now it's pretty much smooth sailing. Sleep is even working. I haven't tested out other ports, yet. The one thing I'll try to get up and running next is Bluetooth. My card (same as yours) is detected; wi-fi works; and the system sees Bluetooth but I'm unable to pair any devices. I also noticed Airdrop isn't working, but I'll catch up on this thread and see if there's something that I missed along the way. I just wanted to pause for now and say - THANKS!

Great to hear!

Airdrop depends on BT. Make sure the antennas are plugged in and go into the BT preferences section and delete any old connections in order to properly set up new ones. Once new connections are made, you should be good to go. (If BT remains an issue, we can try some other things.)

Also do make certain that your Ethernet has an 'en0' connection. If not this can lead to all sorts of problems like difficulty logging into the App Store. To check this out, open the System Information viewer and highlight the Network tab on the left:

Then look at the Device Name on the right side of the window. One should be 'en0'. If not, then an item in the Preferences folder needs to be re-set.

To re-set 'en0' Ethernet configuration, in Terminal type the following, then re-boot the computer:

sudo rm /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

Last edited:
Ok yeah I can almost 100% confirm this only happens using the Apple Magic Keyboard and Mouse. Any suggestions?

I've used the older Apple BT keyboard together with the latest Trackpad, and have not noticed any issues. Are your devices very far from the antenna? If so, maybe move the antenna closer to the location of the keyboard/mouse.

As for 2 USB ports not working, you need to verify, depending on which system you chose to limit USB ports (USBPorts.kext or SSDT-UIAC-xx.aml), that the ports you need are properly injected and active. The limit is 15 ports: some must go, so others can stay.

Back