Contribute
Register

[Success] ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX + TB3 + iGPU + Mojave + SFF Build

Here's one more issue I'm trying to overcome with my setup... I'd like to watch Netflix/Amazon Prime Video & other types of DRM video streaming using the app called "Friendly Streaming" (if you haven't heard of it, check it out from the mac app store - nice little tool for streaming videos in a small PiP window). This app, I believe uses the same browser as Safari, because whenever I try to watch the videos thru Safari or Friendly Streaming, I receive errors (Chrome works fine). I've tried several different combinations by enabling my iGPU (even with my dGPU installed), injecting Intel and not injecting Intel. I am getting differing results (see attached screenshots). I've searched around the forums, but haven't been able to find anything that'll point me to solution with this setup. My assumption is that if I can get streaming working thru Safari, it'll work thru the Friendly Streaming App.

Has anyone else tried streaming Netflix via Safari/Amazon Prime Video successfully in Mojave 10.14.5 with this setup??

I should also mention that I'm using the latest "v2" config.plist and patched directory.

It's my understanding that Safari does not do DRM video streaming well. For this, it's best to use Chrome.

Anybody running with BIOS v4.0?

I've not tried v4. I do not know what the differences are, but in some other, older threads, there was some questionable loss of functionality. And perhaps more importantly, from v4, one cannot easily (if at all) downgrade to a previous BIOS.

In Spoiler:USBPorts section, you were saying

Where is this SS10?

I realized that in another rtf file you replaced SS07 with SS10. But which version is the newest?

Also, you metioned,

But as I quoted above they were USB3 headers.

I'm confused about this.

SS10 was initially recommended in an internal layout description by @pupin. This was later changed (here) as @pupin had made a mistake: no SS10. The input images (see top of first post) was re-drawn that day and I believe I located most other references to it and fixed them (except in any posts).

Sorry for the confusion. What I meant was that I'm trying to get my RX480 connected as a TB3 eGPU to power an external display. I have it configured as follows:

Z390 ITX w/Vega 64 -> Monitor 1 (Displayport)
Razer Core X eGPU w/RX 480 -> Monitor 2 (HDMI)
Razer Core X TB3 -> Z390 ITX TB3

Everything is plugged in before I turn the system ON but there is no video output on Monitor 2. The same config works on Windows.

What I saw was that the labeling was incorrect in System Report which led me to believe that was the issue.

Awesome that TB3 works without the SSDT - I'll give it a try tonight!

I initially set this thread up as a way of using iGPU alone (using HDMI). I have verified that a graphics card on the PCIe slot works (I've tested a Vega 56 and a Radeon VII).

I've not tried to use the TB3 connection for driving a monitor. I don't have such a set up to test (no eGPU box).

Great you have not given up! Interesting that I can remove the extra aml files from ACPI/patched. I only have SSDT-EC.aml and SSDT-USBX.aml and the machine behaves no different. Still there I do can not connect TB or USB-C hub after the machine has booted. And if I have a USB-C hard drive attached and remove it, it does not help plugging it in again to mount it.

For sleep issues I want my machine to sleep completely. It goes to sleep and fans stop, after a few seconds it starts up again. I can't remember now when this worked but early in this process it worked. But then a lot of other things didn't! Wish I could solve at least the hot-plug of TB dock and USB-C hub. Sleep is secondary and wish-list.

I spent most of Thursday re-testing SSDTs (again). While I can get better PCI descriptions with them (and think I better understand the RP21 bridges better), I cannot get hot-plug to work, unlike what I see on the GB Designare Z390 build, where hot-plug works just fine. The latter is Titan Ridge, not Alpine Ridge. I think we maybe stuck with no hot-plugging with the built in Alpine Ridge.

@rj510 Do you know how to host a Github repo?
It should be a good idea to put your configurations on Github so that people can see the difference in between commits.
If you agree this is a good idea but don't have time for it, I can create a host for you and transfer the ownership to you anytime later.

Congratulations on your build rj510, you’ve built an excellent machine! I have nearly the exact same build, but admittedly I don’t have much Hackintosh mojo – it’s been a long time since I’ve built a machine and even then I followed a golden build that held my hand every step of the way.

So, good news to start, I updated the BIOS to 1.6 and installed Windows without a hitch on the M.2 beneath the MB. I then set the BIOS settings as best I could following your pics. I created a UniBeast installer (I added your kexts-3 kexts to the Other folder and used your NoSN-config-19,1-Mojave10-5_USBPorts-2.plist, I also generated a new SN in SMBIOS. I don’t know SSDTS are so I thought I’d put this off until later.)

I didn’t have any problems with the initial install. But, after I got everything up and running, I didn’t know what to do. Do I run MultiBeast, Clover Config something else? Not knowing what to do and wanting to avoid another lengthy install, I simply shut the machine down and am now asking for a gentle push in the right direction on what I should do next, and how to educate myself on how to get this build back on track as I really don’t! want to become a full-time Windows user. As an FYI, if it makes things simpler, I also already have the Plugable SSD Enclosure (great device). I would appreciate any and all advice from the kind hackintoshers on this thread…

Thank you so much for your guide @rj510 !!! Was a great help for a fresh install! Everything is up and running and works brilliantly, even Handoff, AirDrop and iMessages. I might add that I used a different wifi card than the one you suggested; a Broadcom BCM94360CS2 with a NGFF M.2 Adapter Card Module as well as a Power Color Vega 56 Red Dragon GPU.

Card (eBay link) ››
Adapter (eBay link) ››

The only issue I have run into is that there's seems to be some sort of loudness protection when using the "Internal speakers" setting which is routed to the front panel of my case, Fractal Design Define Nano S. When listening to a podcast, or any audio where there's speech with highs and lows, the audio "clips" at loud parts and briefly decreases the volume. I can use the headphone output on the back or through my display to make it work, but the front panel output is really conveniently placed and would be my source of choice if this wasn't an issue.

Anyone else run into this problem?

Congratulations on your build rj510, you’ve built an excellent machine! I have nearly the exact same build, but admittedly I don’t have much Hackintosh mojo – it’s been a long time since I’ve built a machine and even then I followed a golden build that held my hand every step of the way.

So, good news to start, I updated the BIOS to 1.6 and installed Windows without a hitch on the M.2 beneath the MB. I then set the BIOS settings as best I could following your pics. I created a UniBeast installer (I added your kexts-3 kexts to the Other folder and used your NoSN-config-19,1-Mojave10-5_USBPorts-2.plist, I also generated a new SN in SMBIOS. I don’t know SSDTS are so I thought I’d put this off until later.)

I didn’t have any problems with the initial install. But, after I got everything up and running, I didn’t know what to do. Do I run MultiBeast, Clover Config something else? Not knowing what to do and wanting to avoid another lengthy install, I simply shut the machine down and am now asking for a gentle push in the right direction on what I should do next, and how to educate myself on how to get this build back on track as I really don’t! want to become a full-time Windows user. As an FYI, if it makes things simpler, I also already have the Plugable SSD Enclosure (great device). I would appreciate any and all advice from the kind hackintoshers on this thread…

It sounds like you should be good to go. The SSDTs are not necessary for booting, but will allow a better power management if you include at least the SSDT-EC.aml and the SSDT-USBX.aml files in the ACPI/patched folder in your EFI folder.

Speaking of which, the EFI folder is the one thing you need to look over. It is where you've got the config.plist file. It should look like the following image.

And the Clover folder like this:

The essential folders are ACPI, kexts and drivers64UEFI which I included on the first post. So if you copy those to your EFI/Clover folder, everything should work. Good luck!

Back