Contribute
Register

[Success] AMD RX6000 Series working in macOS

And all are working perfectly fine? My second 6900xt just shows as display.
yeah, they all work fine. I use it with Redshift and Octane Render. Even managed to get temperature readings from them using some radeon kexts

UPDATE: after flashing the onboard Thunderbolt controller on my MoBo, I'm now having issues with one of the GPU's, which gets listed as "Display" under System Information (please see attachment).

However, the GPU is recognized as a PCIe device, and is even listed as a GFX device, just no video output or compute capabilities.

I've tried forcing the GPU's to use 8 pic lanes, and to output video from the GPU in question during boot, but the video freezes half-way through boot (the machine does not freeze, and boot finishes).

I wonder if this is a WEG issue, or a PCI mapping error? Anyone have any ideas?

@oli.mathieu @ramazarusx,

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 11.24.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 11.24.45 PM.png
    259.1 KB · Views: 60
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 11.25.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 11.25.06 PM.png
    389.6 KB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 11.59.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 11.59.39 PM.png
    742 KB · Views: 66
UPDATE: after flashing the onboard Thunderbolt controller on my MoBo, I'm now having issues with one of the GPU's, which gets listed as "Display" under System Information (please see attachment).

However, the GPU is recognized as a PCIe device, and is even listed as a GFX device, just no video output or compute capabilities.

I've tried forcing the GPU's to use 8 pic lanes, and to output video from the GPU in question during boot, but the video freezes half-way through boot (the machine does not freeze, and boot finishes).

I think is beyond my expertise
but you could try to disable thunderbolt in BIOS to see if that change something.... thus giving a clue of what's issue's origin
AND
What happen if you remove all GPU DevicesProperties in your OC 's config.plist ?

I think is beyond my expertise
but you could try to disable thunderbolt in BIOS to see if that change something.... thus giving a clue of what's issue's origin
AND
What happen if you remove all GPU DevicesProperties in your OC 's config.plist ?
I think there may be something going on with WhateverGreen, too. or maybe something else with the config.plist. But I'll look into device properties as well.

Unfortunately the Thunderbolt options disappeared from the BIO settings after the flash :/

Mine is exactly like that from the beginning with just 2 GPUs, my guess is bios and PCIE lanes, if they’re not on water try swapping slots see if it’ll help.

We already wrapped our heads around @ramazarusx ' W-3265 build without finding a solution. Let's try again.

The IOReg in the other thread shows a nice Thunderbolt tree. I don't think that is the issue
All paths show an unnamed PCI bridge, but this shouldn't be an issue if no properties are injected. Just in case, here is a SSDT to name these bridges.

All three cards are 0x73BF. All attach AMDRadeonX6000_AmdGpuWrangler _AmdRadeonControllerNavi21and _AMDRadeonHWServicesNavi; GFX0 and GFX2 also attach _AmdAgdcServices and _AMDNavi21GraphicsAccelerator.

If your build allows to swap cards around without being a major pain, does the issue follow the card or does it follow the slot?

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2022-04-04 à 19.29.24.png
    Capture d’écran 2022-04-04 à 19.29.24.png
    177.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 1649093336163.png
    1649093336163.png
    180 KB · Views: 54
  • SSDT-BRG.dsl
    1.2 KB · Views: 39
  • SSDT-BRG.aml
    247 bytes · Views: 40
We already wrapped our heads around @ramazarusx ' W-3265 build without finding a solution. Let's try again.

The IOReg in the other thread shows a nice Thunderbolt tree. I don't think that is the issue
All paths show an unnamed PCI bridge, but this shouldn't be an issue if no properties are injected. Just in case, here is a SSDT to name these bridges.

All three cards are 0x73BF. All attach AMDRadeonX6000_AmdGpuWrangler _AmdRadeonControllerNavi21and _AMDRadeonHWServicesNavi; GFX0 and GFX2 also attach _AmdAgdcServices and _AMDNavi21GraphicsAccelerator.

If your build allows to swap cards around without being a major pain, does the issue follow the card or does it follow the slot?
Thanks @etorix if I have time I'll troubleshoot by moving around the GPU's

However, I was doing my own troubleshooting and everything started working again. I tried to reverse engineer it, but I can't pinpoint exactly what 'fixed' it. Honestly, I think it was a PSU power-cycling that did it.

I'm now back to my previous EFI & BIOS configs, and things seem to be working, though the GPU's seem a bit unstable under heavy load. I'm getting random crashes where the display goes black, and the whole system becomes unresponsive.

Here's what I played with:

In BIOS:
– Above 4G decoding​
– PCIe bifurcation in every configuration possible​
– Resizable BAR​

In config.plist:
– ResizeAppleGpuBars from -1 to 0​
– WG boot flags:​
– igfxagdc=0 to disable AGDC.​
– igfxonln=1 to force online status on all displays.​
– Different TB SSDT's​
– Removing extraneous DeviceProperties​
– UEFI/Quirks –> EnableVectorAcceleration​

Last edited:
@gabevf Out of three GPUs, only one framebuffer from one card has a display attached. @ramazarusx had the same symptom. Can you confirm that not other card and no other connector provides a display output? Can you get a display from another card (slot 1?) and/or another connector, at least if it is plugged in at boot?

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2022-04-04 à 21.29.10.png
    Capture d’écran 2022-04-04 à 21.29.10.png
    202.8 KB · Views: 33
However, I was doing my own troubleshooting and everything started working again. I tried to reverse engineer it, but I can't pinpoint exactly what 'fixed' it. Honestly, I think it was a PSU power-cycling that did it.
Working? As in having three listed GPUs, with multiple outputs? What does IOReg look like?

In config.plist:
– ResizeAppleGpuBars from -1 to 0. NOTE: 0 gave me instability during heavy load, and the computer would crash. It's not a KP. The screen would just go black and computer would become unresponsive.​
– WG boot flags:​
– igfxagdc=0 to disable AGDC.​
– igfxonln=1 to force online status on all displays.​
– Different TB SSDT's​
– Removing extraneous DeviceProperties​
With unnamed bridges in the path these properties were likely not injected at all.
WhateverGreen flags are very interesting!

@etorix yes, all three GPU's are listed, and working properly for the most part. I'm able to get display output from all three GPU's using all the different connector types. The only issue with video is with HDMI, which only outputs at 30Hz, but I think that's an HDMI 2.0 configuration issue with WEG.
Actually, even when I had the "Display" issue, I was able to get video out form the problematic GPU. It would take me all the way up to a certain point in the boot process, until it stopped working. The computer would finish booting, but I'd need to switch to a different GPU to get video out.

The files attached have the Display connected to the GPU that was originally in question. It's physical in PCI slot 5, but macOS shows it as Slot-2.

Attachments

• iOReg_2.ioreg
    23.4 MB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 4.11.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 4.11.26 PM.png
    424.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 4.07.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 4.07.57 PM.png
    251.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Back