Contribute
Register

stuck @ step 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
??? Did not know this as I have never tried to download sierra from 10.6.8. All my later downloads have been from ML. Just assumed you would not be able to download anything earlier than Sierra unless you had downloaded it before.
So what you are saying here is that if you are running SL the app store will allow you to download Lion even if you have not downloaded it before?
As Apple usually does, they make you pay $19.99 for the download of Lion. They never gave that version of OS X away for free so they still charge for it. http://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion
Once you buy it, you have to wait a day or two for the email that gives you a code for the download. It's a real hassle, not sure why one can't go from SL to Sierra. Probably an artificial requirement.

As Apple usually does, they make you pay $19.99 for the download of Lion. They never gave that version of OS X away for free so they still charge for it. http://www.apple.com/shop/product/D6106Z/A/os-x-lion
Once you buy it, you have to wait a day or two for the email that gives you a code for the download. It's a real hassle, not sure why one can't go from SL to Sierra. Probably an artificial requirement.
I cannot remember for sure from that long ago if I had to purchase Lion to update - I think I did, and since it is the last version Apple sold on the market I can see that they would make you buy it if all you had was SL, but I thought they had changed that when they announced the future upgrades were free. Guess that was after Lion.

. . so how about el capitan? is that an option?

. . so how about el capitan? is that an option?

Apple no longer offers that for download. You could only get it under the Purchased tab in the MAS if you had previously downloaded that before it was pulled last Fall.

. . so it looks like 10.6.8 is not upgradeable to anything else (free)? . . so would it make more sense to buy 10.8 instead of 10.7?

Last edited:
maybe i'll stick with 10.6.8 for a while, it's pretty cool. can i put the gtx480 back in it?

maybe i'll stick with 10.6.8 for a while, it's pretty cool.

Mavericks (2013) is the oldest OS X version that is still supported. So with anything older than that you're more likely to run into problems online. Snow Leopard came out in 2009. Safari browser won't work with some websites. Most current third party Mac software programs will not work. There may be problems with malware and adware. So if you are doing anything online with SL at least get the newest version of Chrome that will run and use Adblock Plus installed as a browser extension. We've only recommended installing Snow Leopard temporarily as a way to get to the MAS to download the most current version of macOS.

thank you trs. good info.
ordered a usb drive and look forward to try it out when it arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back