Contribute
Register

Strange Radeon RX580 issues - missing or wrongly configured?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASUS Maximus VIII Z170
CPU
i5-6600k 3.5GHz
Graphics
Sapphire RX580 Pulse 8GB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello all,

I've recently purchased a Radeon RX580 Pulse 8GB to replace my old GTX 950 because it was giving me all sorts of nvidia-related problems.

I used the RX580 for a fresh Mojave install and followed Stork's Gene build instructions closely. Everything seemed to be installed smoothly until I started using my usual programs (Chrome, Photoshop, Adobe CC etc) and found the graphics to be sluggish and laggy. I thought the GPU wasn't installed but it did register under my system report (images below).

I tried using Geekbench but there were some strange issues. Geekbench detects my RX580, but I'm unable to run a compute benchmark because "no compatible compute devices found". This seems to be a common problem with the RX580 and I've tried some of the suggestions posted previously but couldn't fix the problem.

Can anyone please help me with this? Thank you! :)

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    69.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 2.png
    2.png
    78.5 KB · Views: 150
  • 3.png
    3.png
    54.5 KB · Views: 148
is there a reason why you're on Mojave and not Catalina? I just install on my B85/i5 4590 with RX580 4GB with some minor issues on install, but is working fairly stably so far...

Are you on Clover or OpenCore?

I'm on Clover 5122 and installed the following kexts
Lilu
WhateverGreen

Hope that helps...

Could be related to the SMBIOS you are using, i.e. the Mac Pro SMBIOS not being compatible with the CPU/IGPU and DGPU system. The Mac Pro would have a Xeon CPU which lacks an IGPU and relies solely on the dGPU for Graphics.

You may be better served using an iMac SMBIOS in place of the Mac Pro. The iMac 17.1 SMBIOS being the most logical given your Skylake CPU/system, as that would be the closest match to a real Mac - https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...-inch-aluminum-retina-5k-late-2015-specs.html

Could be related to the SMBIOS you are using, i.e. the Mac Pro SMBIOS not being compatible with the CPU/IGPU and DGPU system. The Mac Pro would have a Xeon CPU which lacks an IGPU and relies solely on the dGPU for Graphics.

You may be better served using an iMac SMBIOS in place of the Mac Pro. The iMac 17.1 SMBIOS being the most logical given your Skylake CPU/system, as that would be the closest match to a real Mac - https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...-inch-aluminum-retina-5k-late-2015-specs.html

Hiya I've got a question, not to hijack this post.... i'm intentionally using a MacPro7,1 SMBIOS for OBS VT hardware acceleration, but with my specs, I assume from the same reason above I shouldn't be using? (but currently not having any problems...)

is there a reason why you're on Mojave and not Catalina? I just install on my B85/i5 4590 with RX580 4GB with some minor issues on install, but is working fairly stably so far...

Are you on Clover or OpenCore?

I'm on Clover 5122 and installed the following kexts
Lilu
WhateverGreen

Hope that helps...

Thanks for replying! I chose to go with Mojave because my MacBook Pro is on Mojave. Just thought that it might be more stable, with more users, user experiences, advice and sorts :)

I'm on the latest Clover version and used Lilu + WhateverGreen too. I guess I'll give it a clean wipe and try it again when I have some free time.

Thanks for the advice Edhawk! I did go with iMac 17.1 initially but encountered similar issues. I thought I give MacPro SMBIOS a shot after reading related advice from another post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back