Contribute
Register

Strange fan behaviour with AMD Vega 64 LC

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not for me. I was thinking of something along the line of @toleda’s HDMI audio fix config.plist samples. It only has the Audio patches and inject number etc...
It makes it real easy for users to simply open with Clover Configurator and add SYMBIOS, CPU power management settings etc.,.. It’s basically a blank plist except for the data fixes.

Hi Gigamaxx ....

Solution moved to new thread in Post Install-> Graphics section of the site and made Sticky.

I've attached an updated and stripped out config.plist as an example and have also updated the method to make it a bit simpler to follow.

Link to new Post :-

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/injection-of-amd-vega-power-and-fan-control-properties.267519/

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
It's weird why the kext didn't work for you...

Hi Gigamaxx ....

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the method ...

I've attached a copy of config.plist to this post. I've stripped out SMBIOS and RtVariables .. hope it helps

Cheers
Jay

Thanks, this will make it much easier for others to use this fix.

I don't know if the VGTab utility works with the liquid cooled Vegas, but if you are just hitting 56C when running FurMark, I wouldn't worry about anything. That's amazingly cool for such heavy benchmark.

I assume so, that is one of the options you can select at the beginning.
Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 1.52.03 PM.png

Hey Guys,

I have finally defected from Team Green and joined Team Red .... :)

Having lost all hope of Nvidia releasing updated WebDrivers for Mojave anytime soon I have replaced the GTX 980 Ti in my White Knight Video Edit system (Spec in side and bottom sig) with a Sapphire Vega 64 Liquid Cooled GPU.

I have updated the system from HS 10.13.6 to Mojave 10.14.2 and the card is working exceptionally well, FCPX render times are over 100% quicker than they where with the GTX 980 Ti so very happy .... However I am seeing some strange behaviour with temps and the fan/pump speeds ...

Upon boot up the card idles at around 30 Degs C, Fan/Pump speed ~1500RPM / 45%

If I put the card under load by exporting a render in FCPX or run a GPU Benchmark such as FurMark, Haven .. etc then the GPU temps ramp up to around 52-56 Degs C but the Fan/Pump speed ramps down ? .. I've seen it drop to <1000 RPM / 36% under sustained load ..

If I then stop the load on the GPU then the Fan/Pump speed quickly ramps up to around 1800 RPM / 55% until the GPU temp drops back to around 30 Degs C at which point it will enter the idle condition of 45% / 1500 RPM.

I'm running a 21:9 34" LG display (3440 x 1440) via DP and a 1080P (1920x1080) display via HDMI, I have Lilu and WhatEverGreen installed, IGPU configured with headless PlatformID and have no display related issues .. just this odd GPU temp Fan/Pump situation.

I have used VGTab to generate a Kext injector for a soft power profile but it doesn't have any effect on this strange Fan/Pump behaviour. Just wondering if there are any other users out there with Sapphire Vega 64 Liquid Cooled GPU and are seeing the same issue ?

Cheers
Jay
Hi,
Could you find any solution for Vega 64 Liquid Cooled cards?
My fan speed wonˋt come down from 1500rpm in idle , temperature is 24C.

Update
So I just installed the 10.14.5 Beta and I love it :)
No Patch, No VGTab, no Kext or Clover Property.
Fan speed is regulated according to heat and it seems that the system is trying not to pass the border of 65C degrees.

I made a test with Luxmark and after load the fan speed came down very fast.

So let’s wait for 10.14.5

Last edited:
So I just installed the 10.14.5 Beta and I love it :)
No Patch, No VGTab, no Kext or Clover Property....Fan speed is regulated according to heat and it seems that the system is trying not to pass the border of 65C degrees.

@Galileo6373637,

Good to know ... sounds like Apple finally addressed the remaining issues with the Vega drivers in 10.14.5.
Should not be too long before we get the public release.

Cheers
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back