RX6800-XT+UHD630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey Guys,

I have finally defected from Team Green and joined Team Red .... :)

Having lost all hope of Nvidia releasing updated WebDrivers for Mojave anytime soon I have replaced the GTX 980 Ti in my White Knight Video Edit system (Spec in side and bottom sig) with a Sapphire Vega 64 Liquid Cooled GPU.

I have updated the system from HS 10.13.6 to Mojave 10.14.2 and the card is working exceptionally well, FCPX render times are over 100% quicker than they where with the GTX 980 Ti so very happy .... However I am seeing some strange behaviour with temps and the fan/pump speeds ...

Upon boot up the card idles at around 30 Degs C, Fan/Pump speed ~1500RPM / 45%

If I put the card under load by exporting a render in FCPX or run a GPU Benchmark such as FurMark, Haven .. etc then the GPU temps ramp up to around 52-56 Degs C but the Fan/Pump speed ramps down ? .. I've seen it drop to <1000 RPM / 36% under sustained load ..

If I then stop the load on the GPU then the Fan/Pump speed quickly ramps up to around 1800 RPM / 55% until the GPU temp drops back to around 30 Degs C at which point it will enter the idle condition of 45% / 1500 RPM.

I'm running a 21:9 34" LG display (3440 x 1440) via DP and a 1080P (1920x1080) display via HDMI, I have Lilu and WhatEverGreen installed, IGPU configured with headless PlatformID and have no display related issues .. just this odd GPU temp Fan/Pump situation.

I have used VGTab to generate a Kext injector for a soft power profile but it doesn't have any effect on this strange Fan/Pump behaviour. Just wondering if there are any other users out there with Sapphire Vega 64 Liquid Cooled GPU and are seeing the same issue ?

Cheers
Jay

I don't know if the VGTab utility works with the liquid cooled Vegas, but if you are just hitting 56C when running FurMark, I wouldn't worry about anything. That's amazingly cool for such heavy benchmark.

Hey Guys,

I have finally defected from Team Green and joined Team Red .... :)

Having lost all hope of Nvidia releasing updated WebDrivers for Mojave anytime soon I have replaced the GTX 980 Ti in my White Knight Video Edit system (Spec in side and bottom sig) with a Sapphire Vega 64 Liquid Cooled GPU.

I have updated the system from HS 10.13.6 to Mojave 10.14.2 and the card is working exceptionally well, FCPX render times are over 100% quicker than they where with the GTX 980 Ti so very happy .... However I am seeing some strange behaviour with temps and the fan/pump speeds ...

Upon boot up the card idles at around 30 Degs C, Fan/Pump speed ~1500RPM / 45%

If I put the card under load by exporting a render in FCPX or run a GPU Benchmark such as FurMark, Haven .. etc then the GPU temps ramp up to around 52-56 Degs C but the Fan/Pump speed ramps down ? .. I've seen it drop to <1000 RPM / 36% under sustained load ..

If I then stop the load on the GPU then the Fan/Pump speed quickly ramps up to around 1800 RPM / 55% until the GPU temp drops back to around 30 Degs C at which point it will enter the idle condition of 45% / 1500 RPM.

I'm running a 21:9 34" LG display (3440 x 1440) via DP and a 1080P (1920x1080) display via HDMI, I have Lilu and WhatEverGreen installed, IGPU configured with headless PlatformID and have no display related issues .. just this odd GPU temp Fan/Pump situation.

I have used VGTab to generate a Kext injector for a soft power profile but it doesn't have any effect on this strange Fan/Pump behaviour. Just wondering if there are any other users out there with Sapphire Vega 64 Liquid Cooled GPU and are seeing the same issue ?

Cheers
Jay

Where did you put the kext?

Where did you put the kext?

Installed in /L/E with all my other 3rd party kext's ....
I only have FakeSMC in /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other ... Inject Kext's set to detect for MacOS Update, Installer .. etc
Everything else in /L/E

Cheers
Jay

Installed in /L/E with all my other 3rd party kext's ....
I only have FakeSMC in /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other ... Inject Kext's set to detect for MacOS Update, Installer .. etc
Everything else in /L/E

Cheers
Jay

I think pastrychef uses clover/kext:Other folder which is where I put mine and it works well. Maybe try moving it to clover?

I think pastrychef uses clover/kext:Other folder which is where I put mine and it works well. Maybe try moving it to clover?

@Gigamaxx,

I don't really see why using Clover to inject it rather than MacOS loading it would produce a different result other than it not being included in the kext cache and it living outside of the MacOs protected kext memory pool but i'll give it a go and see what happens and report back ...

Cheers
Jay

Hey Guys,

I managed to sort out my wired Fan & Temps issue with my Vega 64.

No matter if I injected the kext generated by VGTab via Clover (/EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other) or loaded it Via MacOS (/L/E) it did not help with my issue. Looking at the info.plist within the generated kext, it seems to want to set a whole bunch of stuff .. some of which is handled by WhatEeverGreen ... maybe VGTab does not play nice with WEG ??

Time to think different ... :)

I used VGTab to generate a SoftPowerPlayTable and converted the raw hex file (VegaTab_XXXX.data.kext) that it produces to Base64 using an online converter. I then added it along with a few other necessary tweaks as Device Properties using Clover.

Which resulted in the following Device Properties code :-

Code:
    <key>Devices</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Properties</key>
        <dict>
            <key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>PP_DisableDIDT</key>
                <integer>0</integer>
                <key>PP_DisablePowerContainment</key>
                <integer>1</integer>
                <key>PP_DisableVoltageIsland</key>
                <integer>0</integer>
                <key>PP_FuzzyFanControl</key>
                <integer>1</integer>
                <key>PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable</key>
                <data>
                nQIIAQBcADcHAADsKwAAGwBIAAAAgKkDAPBJAgAyAAgA
                AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIBXAA2Ai0ClACFAa8AGQF6AIwA
                owEAAAAAWQIAAJAAjwJUASoBfgEAcQIAcQICAgAAAAAA
                AAgAAAAAAAAABAAHAAMABQAAAAAAAAABCCADhAO2A+gD
                GgRMBH4EsAQBAUYFAQGEAwAFYOoAAADcSgEAAQB3AQAC
                kJEBAANssAEABAEI0EwBAAAAgAAAAAAAAIi8AQABAAAA
                AAAAAACY/AEAAgAAAAAAAAAAkA4CAAMAAAAAAAAAAAAm
                AgAEAAAAAAAAAABgYQIABQAAAAABAAAAkIsCAAYAAAAA
                AQAAAJirAgAHAAAAAAEAAAAAA2DqAAAA3EoBAACQXwEA
                AAAIKG4AAAAsyQAAAfgLAQACgDgBAAOQXwEABPSRAQAF
                0LABAAbA1AEABwAIbDkAAAAkXgAAAfyFAAACrLwAAAM0
                0AAABGhuAQAFCJcBAAbsowEABwABaDwBAAABBDxBAAAA
                AABQwwAAAAAAgDgBAAEAACRxAQACAAABCACYhQAAeLQA
                AGDqAABQwwAAAXj/AABAGQEAtCcBAFDDAAACgDgBANxK
                AQDcSgEAUMMAAAPcSgEAkF8BAJBfAQBQwwAABJBfAQAA
                dwEAkF8BAFDDAAAFAHcBAJCRAQCQXwEAUMMAAAZssAEA
                bLABAAB3AQBQwwAAB8DUAQDA1AEAkJEBAFDDAAABGAAA
                AAAAAAAL5BLcBfwIQQAPAFQDkAGQAZABkAGQAZABkAEA
                AAAAAAIEIQcIAQgBCAEsAQAASgBpAEoASgBfAHMAcwBk
                AEAAkJKXYJYAkEYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIC1DAA
                AAIQYOoAAAIQ
                </data>
            </dict>
        </dict>
    ,/dict>

Now my Vega rad fan and pump control are working as expected ... IE: The Fan/Pump Speed RPM increases as the temp ramps up when the GPU is under load, once it reaches the target temp set with the VGTab utility it maintains it until the GPU load is removed then Fan/Pump Speed decreases as temp ramps down until it hits the idle state.

The above code is for Sapphire Vega 64 Liquid cooled edition using the stock Vega 64 LC VGTab values:-
  • Max Core Frequency: 1750Mhz
  • Max Core Voltage: 1200mV
  • Max Memory Frequency: 945Mhz
  • Memory Voltage: 1350mV
  • Fan Idel Speed: 1500 RPM
  • Fan Target Speed: 2300 RPM
  • Fan Min Speed: 400 RPM
  • Fan Max Speed: 3300 RPM
  • Fan Sensitivity: 4836
  • Target Temperature: 65 Degs C
  • Power Adjustment Range: 50
If you have a different card or want to use custom values, simply run the VGtab utility, modify the values as you want and export the Control Information. Copy and paste the Hex values in the output file (VegaTab_XXXX.data.kext) into an online hex to base64 converter ... I used :-

http://tomeko.net/online_tools/hex_to_base64.php

Finally copy and past the base64 output and replace the long data value for PP_PhmSoftPowerPlayTable in the above code.

Hope this helps anyone else seeing this issue ...

Cheers

Jay

Nice, so is this added to config.plist?

If so can you post config.plist sample minus symbios etc.?

Yes

The code above is from my config.plist ... if you want to use you just need to added to your devices section ...

Cheers
Jay

It’s not for me. I was thinking of something along the line of @toleda’s HDMI audio fix config.plist samples. It only has the Audio patches and inject number etc...
It makes it real easy for users to simply open with Clover Configurator and add SYMBIOS, CPU power management settings etc.,.. It’s basically a blank plist except for the data fixes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back