Contribute
Register

Stork's Zorro Build: Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stork's Sandy Bridge Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000 - Lion

Hi folks,

I currently have a z68x-ud3h-b3 f10 with gigabyte 6850 but want to remove the graphics card and use the hd3000 on board. I would greatly appreciate any pointers and don't want to do a clean install. All I can think of is:

Remove my display stuff in /extras/chameleon.plist (something like that), change the dsdt to the standard one (without hdmi audio and dual monitor stuff) then take the card out.

Should I update to f12 or uefi???

I don't us hdmi audio and dual monitors, the most strenuous task is a bit of photoshop editing. Can anyone confirm hd3000 is ok for this. It's a 23.5" hdmi connected monitor...

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

Converting to HD3K from a 6850 would be easy, but I wouldn't do it if you use Photoshop.

However, I would upgrade your BIOS and DSDT TO F12. We tried UEFI (it's still a Beta version) and had problems with it. So, stick with the F12. The combo of the F12 BIOS and the F12 DSDT will give you better sleep/wake-up reliability.:thumbup:

Stork,

First off, many thanks to you and this site. I've been having a great time...
I followed the guidance from this thread about 14 months ago and have been tracking it ever since. It produced a very stable, reliable system which had been chugging along. Had Lion 10.7.2 and ran into something that wanted 10.7.5. Saw your post 544, and decided to go ahead.
Ran the combo update to 10.7.5 as you describe. Unfortunately, upon restart after install, I am getting a kp, with the last line being "system uptime in nanoseconds."

I had copied the drive to an external with superduper, but forgot to check that I could boot from it before proceeding. Have done some searching around and am not stumbling on a solution. Worst case, I'll pull the drive, connect the backup drive and the pulled drive to a separate machine, and use superduper to copy from the backup to the original, and hope that does it for me...

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

(edited to add that I am still on bios version F10, which doesn't seem like it would be an issue from 10.7.2 to 10.7.5, but...)

First of all, I highly recommend updating your BIOS and getting the DSDT for F12. (I'm running 10.7.5 and 10.8.2 on Zorro; and Son-of-Zorro is running 10.6.8, 10.7.5 and 10.8.2.) I updated to 10.7.5 and only had to run MultiBeast to reselect the audio driver.
Stork said:
Updated to 10.7.5. Here's my procedure:

Backup to backup drive with Carbon Copy Cloner.

Repaired Permissions (Disk Utility or other Mac OS X 3rd party utility such as Onyx)

Downloaded the 10.7.5 Combo Update, run the Combo Updater and rebooted.

In S/L/E, delete the AppleHDA (to be safe).

Run MultiBeast with only selecting the Audio as shown...
Next time, try the following:
  • Backup to backup drive with Carbon Copy Cloner;
  • Repaired Permissions (Disk Utility or other Mac OS X 3rd party utility such as Onyx);
  • Downloaded the 10.7.5 Combo Update, run the Combo Updater and Don't reboot;
  • In S/L/E, delete the AppleHDA;
  • Run MultiBeast, selecting the Audio as shown...
Good Luck!

My system is identical to your Zorro build.

Core i7-2600K - Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H - HD3000 (using onboard video)

Running Lion with everything working.

However I'm thinking of taking the jump to mountain lion and adding a video card to get
a PLP monitor setup working. U3011 2560x1600 in the middle and two dell 2007's on the sides.

What is my best approach to upgrade my system to Mountain Lion?

...I'm thinking of taking the jump to mountain lion and adding a video card to get
a PLP monitor setup working. U3011 2560x1600 in the middle and two dell 2007's on the sides.

What is my best approach to upgrade my system to Mountain Lion?
I'd recommend upgrading to Mountain Lion first, then adding a graphics card to have three monitors. This way you lessen the chance for something to go astray. First, make a backup of your Lion drive. Then, download Mountain Lion install app from the MAS; make a UniBeast USB Thumb drive using UniBeast for Mountain Lion; and install on top of your Lion installation. Run MultiBeast for Mountain Lion loading a complete "load" as you would if you were installing from scratch.

As for a graphics card, see the graphics cards in the tonymacx86 Buyers Guide. Nvidia 600 series cards are the best to get installed with Mountain Lion right now. (Rumor has it that the upcoming 10.8.3 will support some of the ADM/ATI 7000 series graphics cards, but we don't know which ones, yet.) I have a Nvidia GTX 650 Ti in my Thunderball build, and I'm impressed with it's performance. (I don't know what a "PLP" monitor setup means, but that's OK.)

However, I recommend you go to Nvidia's web site to research what 600 series graphics cards can support the multiple monitors with the appropriate resolution. Last Spring, one of the moderators tried four monitors as an experiment using the HD3000 DVI & HDMI with a graphics card using two DVI connections. It worked, but he didn't keep it hooked up as the monitors were needed on other systems. So, depending upon your requirements, you've got several options. :thumbup:

Portrait-Landscape-Portrait setup....so Dell U3011 in the middle and two dell 2007 on either side in portrait mode.
Thanks for the advice...definitely doing the Mountain Lion upgrade first!

cyberphox,

Hope your upgrade to 10.8.3 went OK. I know I wold like to see a picture of your three monitor setup. (Add it to your Profile Albums.) BTW, how are dr iving 3 monitors with HD3000? Tell all. Better yet, start a build description thread. :thumbup:

Stork's Sandy Bridge Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000 - MtLion

Since Updating to 10.8.3 I am having sleep issues.

When I hit the sleep button, it does not go to sleep but I can not re-activate the screen, the keyboard does not work (tried all usb ports). my only option is to hard reset the machine (press the power button).

I have been using PleaseSleep to make the energy saving settings work since like 10.7. I do not think it is at fault as when i go to Apple & sleep, the same thing happens with the machine freezing.

Can you help me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back