Contribute
Register

Stork's Zorro Build: Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Stork's Sandy Bridge Z68X-UD3H - i7-2600K - HD3000 - Lion

Hell yes, we've tried it. :evil:

Using the VGA port on the mobo for HD 3000 will get you to the BIOS, and you can edit your BIOS. But, once you start loading OS X, the screen will go blank. That's why you need to use the DVI or HDMI ports for HD 3000 in Lion. Or use a recommended graphics card. 'Nuff said on the subject.

Can I even format with the install disk?

ben.basinski said:
Can I even format with the install disk?

If you can't get past the BIOS then obviously not.

Well that kinda ruins everything. :banghead: :thumbdown: :think: :sick: :shifty: :problem: :(
I really don't want to spend any more money than I have to..... Can you install windows, then install OS X? (I heard this was very complicated)

Yes, you can install Windoze, first, then install OS X later. However, make sure your hardware is compatible with Apple's OS X. Unlike Microsoft, Apple only supports its hardware in it's OS X. That's why some motherboards and graphics card work OOB while others take hacking and still others can never run OS X.

See Going Bald's excellent guide on how to setup your system for Multi Booting os's. viewtopic.php?f=81&t=20872

Haha, I'm not concerned about incompatible hardware, I've probably done around 40 hours of research, so thats not a problem.
But all the Windows then OS X guides say that first you have to use the install dvd to get to disk utility to partition and format for windows and OS X. Then Instal windows. Then reboot with iboot and install OS X.
But I can't do that when I can't even access disk utility because ill be using VGA!

So what I have to do is install windows normally. Wait for a new monitor, then format everything and start new and follow the guide. Am I right or is there another way?

You might know this already, but...

if you want dual boot on the same drive, then you'll have to run OS X Disk Utility and partition first. But if you plan to dual boot from different drives (recommended), then you can install Windows first and then OS X. I did install dual boot on one drive, :banghead: because I only have one SATA III (6.0 Gbit/s) drive, and I want both OS running on the fastest drive (I wold love to have a couple of SSD).

After only 3 weeks of my built, I'm really looking forward to get another SATA III, as it looks difficult (if not impossible) cloning the Win7 partition when it's installed on a GUID dirve, Carbon Copy shows Warnings saying "files greater that 4GB won't be cloned".

I decided to stop installing software on my GUID Win7 ( I have a lot of Music Software and Plug-ins) until I can confirm I can clone it (backup) and boot from the backup.

Since Carbon Copy doesn't support NTFS well (I'm not an OS X expert), I'm planning on running some test using Acronis True Image 11 running in Win7, and see if I can clone my GUID Windows7 partition into an MBR Partition. Wish me luck ;)

Ya too bad I only have one drive. And yes a couple of ssd's would be amazing!!

I saw you have a gigabyte 6850... hows that treating you?

The Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850 works OOB, but with specific ports, I use:
1 - DVI-I with a DVI-to-VGA adapter for first monitor (I use an old KVM switch to share monitor, keyboard and mouse with 4 different computers in Windows and OS X too).
2 - DisplayPort with a DisplayPort-to-HDMI cable ($6 on Amazon) for second monitor.

The two monitors work perfect, but I had to move my Dock and Menu bar to my DMI-D monitor (left), in OS X (as well as Win7) when using an HD 6850, the DisplayPort goes first than the DVI-D port, and since my main monitor is the one going through the KMV mouse (DVI-D), it was wired having those on the second monitor on the right.

Any how, I'm still dealing with getting the audio on HDMI with OS X, it works fine with Win7 (dual boot), I'm about to start the trials to get the audio over HDMI. The other audios devices work fine, on board Realtek, M-Audio FireWire Controler and the Line-6 KB37 USB TonePort.

megasis said:
The Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850 works OOB, but with specific ports, I use:
1 - DVI-I with a DVI-to-VGA adapter for first monitor (I use an old KVM switch to share monitor, keyboard and mouse with 4 different computers in Windows and OS X too).
2 - DisplayPort with a DisplayPort-to-HDMI cable ($6 on Amazon) for second monitor.

The two monitors work perfect, but I had to move my Dock and Menu bar to my DMI-D monitor (left), in OS X (as well as Win7) when using an HD 6850, the DisplayPort goes first than the DVI-D port, and since my main monitor is the one going through the KMV mouse (DVI-D), it was wired having those on the second monitor on the right.

Any how, I'm still dealing with getting the audio on HDMI with OS X, it works fine with Win7 (dual boot), I'm about to start the trials to get the audio over HDMI. The other audios devices work fine, on board Realtek, M-Audio FireWire Controler and the Line-6 KB37 USB TonePort.

Nice. Here's a link that will hopefully help you out..
viewtopic.php?f=162&t=22030

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back