Contribute
Register

Stork's Thunderball II Build: ASUS ProArt Z490 Creator (Thunderbolt 3) - i5-10400 - RX 580

@Casey, I waited over-night. It never reached the ramrod.

Update: After many cycles and changes, the process continues and now aborts (going to black screen and quiet computer). I took a video so I can catch any error or clue...

The last lines under the "IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs 0, bs 0, now 0, sm 0x0" section deal with coreAudioChannel.ID, aborting after "control.ID: 20, coreAudioChannel.ID = 1 Front Left oldValue 0x41, newValue 0x41"
Because you’re using iGPU, which video connector is hooked up to the monitor?

HDMI won’t work until we patch the framebuffer. But a USB-C to DisplayPort cable should work when USB-C side is connected to either of the two Thunderbolt ports on the rear IO panel.

Unfortunately, I am using the HDMI cable. Let me see what I have around here.

Thanks.

Update: Having no luck getting the display on the old 27" Thunderbolt monitor (using the Apple T/B-3 to T/B-2 adapter).

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I am using the HDMI cable. Let me see what I have around here.

Thanks.

Update: Having no luck getting the display on the old 27" Thunderbolt monitor (using the Apple T/B-3 to T/B-2 adapter).
Does the other monitor (that had been connected via HDMI) have a DisplayPort input?

I would not recommend a Thunderbolt monitor at this time because it adds a fair bit of complexity and frustration.

We can also try patching the framebuffer to activate on-board HDMI. I can attempt that later today or tomorrow.

@Casey, Thanks. I will check the monitor again but I do not believe it has the display port.
Let me know if there is something I can do to help with the frame buffer testing.
have a good evening.

@Casey, Thanks. I will check the monitor again but I do not believe it has the display port.
Let me know if there is something I can do to help with the frame buffer testing.
have a good evening.
Please try the attached config.plist, but copy serial numbers into PlatformInfo -> DataHub before use. This version should enable the on-board HDMI port.

Attachments

• config.plist
    24.5 KB · Views: 79
Roger, Standby.

Update: Sir, You are a steely-eyed missile man. :)
I have progressed to the installation of Catalina.
Thank you so much.

Update 2: I have to research/test and get back to you. The process aborts when the bar is about half way.

Update 3: The process (reboots to BIOS error screen) at "2 minutes remaining". Per the OC manual, this is the NVRAM writing stage. I will try the suggested change to "LegacyOverwrite" (LegacyEnable is not found).

Update 4: Still stuck at the "Reboot at about 2 minutes remaining" point. Would it make any difference if I gave up on Catalina and moved to a newer OS?

Update 5: I was able to continue the install and reach the Welcome screen with the "DisableRtcChecksum" quirk set.

Update 6: (2/20/23) Able to get Catalina up & running.
  • Fenvi B/T and wifi working
  • Most iServices are working
  • Ethernet (I225-v) is working
  • iCloud Drive not working
  • Difficult to wake from sleep (may be monitor / HDMI)
  • Other issues TBD
Update 7: (2/23/23) Updated to Big Sur
  • iCloud Drive working
  • USB keyboard and mouse working
  • Sleep issues continue
Update 8: (2/25/23)
  • Sleep issues resolved
  • System appears to be stable
  • Thanks to all for the help and support.
2/26/23 - Upgrade to Monterey went smoothly.

Last edited:
Stork's Thunderball II Build:
ASUS ProArt Z490 Creator - i5-10400 - RX 6600 XT

I just got the same Sapphire Radeon Pulse 580 card. I installed today and set the same System Agent BIOS settings for VTD, PEG, and iGPU. Any ideas why I won’t get any video output using HDMI? I don’t even get to the BIOS logo screen or anything. Thanks in advance for any help provided.

I just got the same Sapphire Radeon Pulse 580 card. I installed today and set the same System Agent BIOS settings for VTD, PEG, and iGPU. Any ideas why I won’t get any video output using HDMI? I don’t even get to the BIOS logo screen or anything. Thanks in advance for any help provided.
Yeah...I had this same issue, even though I followed Stork's BIOS settings exactly. I finally figured it out after tearing some of my hair out. Try enabling the Compatibility Support Module in the Boot tab in BIOS. I have no clue why, but that fixed it for me on two identical machines with this video card and motherboard. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Yeah...I had this same issue, even though I followed Stork's BIOS settings exactly. I finally figured it out after tearing some of my hair out. Try enabling the Compatibility Support Module in the Boot tab in BIOS. I have no clue why, but that fixed it for me on two identical machines with this video card and motherboard. Hope this helps!
I got excited seeing this but had no such luck. Did you change any of the other settings in Compatibility Support Module? I see four items related to booting below the main one to enable After enabling.

Hmmm. OK:

Launch CSM - Enabled. Boot device control - UEFI only.
Boot from Network - Ignore.
Boot from Storage Devices and PCI-E/PCI devices - UEFI only.

Under Advanced/PCI Subsystem, I have: Above 4G decoding - Enabled, Re-size BAR support - Auto, IOV support - Disabled
Under System Agent /Graphics: Primary display - PEG, iGPU Multi-Monitor - Enabled (for some reason, when I disabled iGPU, I got no graphics, even though nothing is plugged into the motherboard video port), DVMT - 64M, RC6 - Disabled

Try these and see what happens. If no joy, I can send a copy of my .CMO file and you can try to load it into your BIOS.

Back