Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Hi, I'm having a few issues with an otherwise ok install.

I have an 8700K, HERO X, and a Pulse RX 580. The 580 is apparently one of the early part numbers, even though I just picked it up at Micro Center the other day. Graphics works basically out of the box, with one exception: I've been running into the Preview/Quicklook issue. How would I fix this? Also, what SMBIOS is best for this build? Do I need lilu/whatevergreen/injectati with the early RX 580? I wasn't sure if OP was throwing that in for later revisions.

Thanks

Early part number RX 580 Pulses are more desirable for macOS users. Consider yourself lucky.

You can use iMac18,3 or iMacPro1,1 system definitions.

If you use iMac18,3, you MUST enable IGPU in BIOS and configure it as "headless" for Preview and Quick Look to work.
If you use iMacPro1,1, you can leave IGPU disabled in BIOS and there's nothing to configure. Plus, DRM content will play correctly.

In either case, it's probably a good idea to install Lilu and WhateverGreen.
In both cases, DO NOT inject anything in config.plist. No "Inject ATI". No "Inject Intel". No ig-platform-id. No device-id.

Thanks for the quick responses, guys! I'll do a fresh install and report back.

edit: How do I configure igpu as headless? Is it just a matter of igpu->enable and setting PEG as priority? Does that cause any issues with Windows, btw?

If you use iMac18,3, you MUST enable IGPU in BIOS and configure it as "headless" for Preview and Quick Look to work.
I didn't do this for High Sierra, and I can't remember having a problem with Preview. I can't remember if I had a problem after updating to Mojave. (I'm not at My Hero II's location until after US Labor Day holiday)

Thanks for the quick responses, guys! I'll do a fresh install and report back.

edit: How do I configure igpu as headless? Is it just a matter of igpu->enable and setting PEG as priority? Does that cause any issues with Windows, btw?

Yes, enable IGPU in BIOS and set PEG as priority. WhateverGreen should handle everything else.

I don't know about Windows... I don't think it will cause any issues...

I didn't do this for High Sierra, and I can't remember having a problem with Preview. I can't remember if I had a problem after updating to Mojave. (I'm not at My Hero II's location until after US Labor Day holiday)

If using iMac18,3, IGPU will be needed for Preview and Quick Look to work in both High Sierra and Mojave.

If using iMac18,3, IGPU will be needed for Preview and Quick Look to work in both High Sierra and Mojave.
OK. I will check first thing when I get to its location and report back.

I set it as iMac pro and it worked like a charm. Thanks

edit: Any chance there's a way to turn off the 580's jet engine upon wake from sleep? It only goes for about 5 seconds, but it's annoying.

I don't know how to change the fan behavior.

I solved the fan issue (and also it wasn't sleeping automatically, but would sleep manually OK). Just had to make a SSDT, works OK now. As far as I know, *everything* works fine, which is a first for me as far as hackintoshes go.

I used motherboard USB 3.1 gen 2 for my testing.

Don't worry about what System Information shows you. Most of the time, what it shows will be incorrect for USB 3.1 gen 2. Confirm with actual speed tests.

I disagree with this @pastrychef. The System Information most definitely does not "most of the time" show incorrect for USB 3.1 gen 2. In fact - so far it has been 100% accurate as far as a valid gen 2 connection. I am not denying your experiences, but every single time it showed 5gbs I got 500:500 MB/s in BlackMagic. Now that I figured out the problem, as SOON as I got it working it showed correctly, "Speed: Up to 10Gb/sec" and BlackMagic reported speeds of 990.5MB/s : 935MB/s :clap:

note: I am using an Intel QLC 2TB NVMe, 660p. So it's not super fast (relative to NVMe), but an amazing value.

Problem:

My hackintosh was not recognizing my external (Sabrent) NVMe USB Gen 2 enclosure as USB 3.1 Gen 2 device (10gb/s).

Steps to reproduce:
  1. Plug in enclosure with provided USB cable.
  2. Open "System Information" and check that device's "Speed" field. Instead of 10, it's value was "5 Gb/sec"
  3. Open "Disk Speed Test" by BlackMagic Design, choose external drive as Target Drive and run test with 5GB stress.
Solution:
Tried many different wires until I found one that worked. I used a different USB-C --> USB-A wire then the one that came with the external. Plugging into the Maximus X Hero 10gb USB-A gets me 10gbs READ and WRITE.

10gb/s Premium USB-C -> USB-A : 1GB/s:1GB/s (Read:Write) :clap:

Apple's Macbook Charger USB-C -> USB-C : 480mb/s which was 35-60MB/s :(

10gb/s Premium USB-C -> USB-A -> USB-C : 1GB/s:100MB/s (Read:Write) --- This one was super weird. I have never seen a device slow down so significantly only in one direction. The USB-A -> USB-C adapter I used was the one that is attached to the Sabrent wire, but I still used the 10gb/s Premium USB-C wire from the NVMe to the Adapter. The rest of the Sabrent wire was just hanging there.

Back