Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

Hi,

I updated to 10.14.6, SMBIOS 19,1. When the computer is sleeping, the RX580 fans are ramping up pretty wild and then returning to 0 rpm for a couple of minutes. Idle temperature of the RX580 is 48-50 degrees. In use fans seems to be working ok. I installed latest Lilu 1.3.7 and WhateverGreen 1.3.0 to no avail.
Does someone happen to know how to control the fans any better ?

Greetings, Chimiel

Last edited:
Hi,

I updated to 10.14.6, SMBIOS 19,1. When the computer is sleeping, the RX580 fans are ramping up pretty wild and then returning to 0 rpm for a couple of minutes. Idle temperature of the RX580 is 48-50 degrees. In use fans seems to be working ok. I installed latest Lilu 1.3.7 and WhateverGreen 1.3.0 to no avail.
Does someone happen to know how to control the fans any better ?

Greetings, Chimiel
Current versions are Lilu (1.3.8) and WhatEverGreen (1.3.1). Try the updated versions.

Current versions are Lilu (1.3.8) and WhatEverGreen (1.3.1). Try the updated versions.

Hi Stork,

Lilu 1.3.7 and WEG 1.3.0 were the latest I could find, I also tried SMBIOS ImacPro1.1.
Fan tilt during sleep only appears in dual monitor setup, sleep is fine with only one monitor on.

Could it be buggy powermanagement of the Sapphire Pulse RX580 itself in dual monitor setup,controlled by the GPU itself and not the Operating System ?

Kind regards,

Chimiel

On Z370, the USB 3.1 gen 2 (aka USB 3.2 gen 2) ports are on a separate controller and you don't have to worry about them. You only have to worry about the Z370 chipset USB ports.

I never understood the reasoning for assigning 255 to the internal header ports that are connected to ports on cases. It didn't make sense to me. I mean, I am going to be using them as if they are normal external USB ports and they aren't connected to any sort of hub... It just didn't make any sense to me. Therefore, I made the decision to ignore what was said in the guide and assigned them as 0 or 3 depending on if they are USB 2 or USB 3.1 gen 1. The only port I assign as 255 is the USB port that's connected to my internal Wi-Fi/Bluetooth card.

In looking at your SSDT, you've whittled down the ports to 15.

Use the Terminal command again:
Code:
log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"
That will tell you what's causing your instant wakes.

Usually, I don't use my USB 3.1 gen 2 ports. The only time I use those ports are when I have a true USB 3.1 gen 2 device to connect to them.

Greetings Pastrychef,

Could you please share some wisdom; the moment the system goes into sleep, it appears to startle and awakens (sort of) and fans of the RX580 are going mental.
I used your terminal command (attached)Do you see anything out of the ordinary ?

Kind regards,

Chimiel

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-07-27 at 14.03.41.png
    Screenshot 2019-07-27 at 14.03.41.png
    458.8 KB · Views: 121
Lilu 1.3.7 and WEG 1.3.0 were the latest I could find, I also tried SMBIOS ImacPro1.1.
Fan tilt during sleep only appears in dual monitor setup, sleep is fine with only one monitor on.

Could it be buggy powermanagement of the Sapphire Pulse RX580 itself in dual monitor setup,controlled by the GPU itself and not the Operating System ?
Unfortunately, I am not using an i9 processor nor the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS. Hopefully, @pastrychef can jump in here to help you.

Unfortunately, I am not using an i9 processor nor the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS. Hopefully, @pastrychef can jump in here to help you.

Thanks Stork,

I think I solved it; my Corsair PSU RM750 had a USB 2 connector on the motherboard for monitoring purposes in Windows; I seems this kept waking the system up, also ramping the RX580 fans.
Disconnecting it finally let the system take an nap.

Kind regards,

Chimiel

Greetings Pastrychef,

Could you please share some wisdom; the moment the system goes into sleep, it appears to startle and awakens (sort of) and fans of the RX580 are going mental.
I used your terminal command (attached)Do you see anything out of the ordinary ?

Kind regards,

Chimiel

Update:

Hi Pastrychef,
I think I solved it; my Corsair PSU RM750 had a USB 2 connector on the motherboard for monitoring purposes in Windows; I seems this kept waking the system up, also ramping the RX580 fans.
Do you think that the output of the former attached terminal command confirms this ?

Kind regards,

Chimiel

Greetings Pastrychef,

Kind regards,

Chimiel

Did you apply one of the proper USB 15 port limit fixes? The Terminal output is indicating some kind of USB issue.

Update:

Hi Pastrychef,
Do you think that the output of the former attached terminal command confirms this ?

Kind regards,

Chimiel

Oops... Replied before I saw this post. Lol

Yeah, do one of the proper USB 15 port limit fixes.

Back