Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero II Build: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z370 HERO X - i7-8700K - AMD RX 580 - Thunderbolt 3

There are no internal speakers in that model of monitor, the audio output can be taken from the headphone output through a normal stereo audio jack and then it must be sent to amplified speakers or to an audio system.
The volume control in the menu inside the monitor adjusts that level of the audio signal that arrives inside the monitor through the Display Port or HDMI and is converted to go to the headphone jack.
The signal quality is very acceptable.

Thank you Simon, I know that there is no speakers I wanted to use the headset output that the monitor has

Thank you Simon, I know that there is no speakers I wanted to use the headset output that the monitor has

It's a silly question, but did you check the sound adjustment on the monitor menu?

It's a silly question, but did you check the sound adjustment on the monitor menu?

My bad. Volume on my monitor can only be controlled via OSD menu, and it was set to zero. :(
Now I increased it, and it is working. :)

Thank you Simon & Pastrychef for support!

For any interested Hero X users who want to add Thunderbolt, I have managed to flash the GC-TitanRidge card with the patched NVM23 from https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-2087524

As there is no Thunderbolt header on the Hero X, I jumped the header cable between pin 3 and 5 to force power on and am very pleased to say that I now boot up with a Thunderbolt tree using the SSDT files in the Titan Ridge DROM guide here https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-2086862

I had to replace RP05 for RP21 for my system, and modified the DROM as per the guide to have port 7 showing up. I also need to include the SSDT-DTPG in my ACPI/patched folder otherwise link speed is only 20gb/s. With that DTPG I get a full 40gb/s. I installed the card in the bottom long slot PCIEX3_4 and set it to be X4 in the BIOS which then disables the small PCI above it.

Tests so far - If I cold boot my system with nothing connected then I get no hot plug on either port, and nothing seems to connect. Rebooting the system with a Plugable Thunderbolt 3 dock connected then gives me full hot plug that seems to be working on both Thunderbolt ports on the Titan Ridge.

Cold booting the system with the dock connected shows nothing as connected when reaching desktop, however unplugging and replugging the cable then connects without a reboot. I have no other Thunderbolt devices to test, unfortunately, but connecting a series of USB devices to the dock they all correctly mount and populate in the USB device tree. The dock also has built in ethernet, and headphone audio which show up and populate as devices.

Sleep / wake still works for me, however connected Thunderbolt devices are currently not automatically reconnecting and need a quick plug out and in. I currently have no USB header cable connected internally and no power supply cables to power devices or charge laptops so just have the GC-TitanRidge in the bottom long slot.

Huge thanks to @CaseySJ for the amazing flashing guide https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...olt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/post-2079848 and to @Elias64Fr and everyone else involved in making this possible. Right now I am pretty amazed at how well it seems to be working on a board that was never built to have Thunderbolt!

Now that MultiBeast for Catalina has been released, I'll update the Installation process in Post #1 in the next couple of days.

I must emphasize that, since Catalina has changed so much from Mojave (file structure, security and 64 apps only), I will not be using Catalina as a production build. Personally, I've have a lot of 32bit apps that haven't been updated by their authors. So, I'm going to have to pune and/or find replacements for these depreciated apps.

@Stork that would be really appreciated. I tried to do fresh Catalina install to my machine. So far, I cannot get it to install even. Catalina with UniBeast hangs with Apple logo and progress bar at 100%. I tried also with regular Catalina installer and added kexts etc with Clover, no joy there either :(. I hope your installation to Catalina will be a magic bullet.

Thanks a lot for people with magnificent brains!
PK

@Pets123, I've not gotten around to it, yet. I, too, am having trouble installing Catalina on a test drive, and I think it's due to the current version of the hackintosh kexts. BTW, I'm still using Clover r5107 as the newer versions are buggy.

@Stork that would be really appreciated. I tried to do fresh Catalina install to my machine. So far, I cannot get it to install even. Catalina with UniBeast hangs with Apple logo and progress bar at 100%. I tried also with regular Catalina installer and added kexts etc with Clover, no joy there either :(. I hope your installation to Catalina will be a magic bullet.

Thanks a lot for people with magnificent brains!
PK

I don't know if a fresh installation involves many differences when the system is still a virgin. I have no experience of fresh installations, apart from the first one of Mojave, then I only updated on Catalina.
So I could say nonsense and I would like if someone told me what specific differences there can be in this regard.
However, couldn't you do a fresh installation of Mojave and then immediately upgrade to Catalina?

Please post the kernel panic that you are getting when waking from sleep. I suspect that it's the same one that I was experiencing. I was getting a panic related to HDMI audio. I disabled WhateverGreen and haven't see a panic since.

There's no reason why Clover doesn't respect your default drive setting. Double check your config.plist and try clearing NVRAM (press F11 at the Clover boot menu).

9900K and Radeon VII are not problems. I've been using the same for a pretty long time with no issues.

After a while, I am here with the problem again. A few days have passed without the crash occurring after sleep then suddenly and without any modification to the PC, it came back and instead of a few times, now it happens all the times the computer goes to sleep, both on request and due to inactivity (when I searched for it I couldn't get it one way or the other).
I noticed that every time it has happened since the restart of the processor the number indicated at the beginning is always different and compared to what happened before, Boot args indicated is a strange alphanumeric (before it was Dart = 0 as in plist); I don't seem to have found any more differences, but before I didn't look at him very carefully. I have attached the report.
Another thing that happens every time, now, is the madness of the AMPlibraryAgent process that gets 100% fixed and only with a restart it returns to normal.
If you find analogies with what happened to you, I await information, also on how to do to possibly try to disable whatevergreen and see what happens, but of course I await advice even if you find, reading the panic report, some other possible cause.

On Clover that at boot does not find the disk indicated in plist alone, I tried several times to reset the NVRAM but without any effect and also to move to the last clover (5109), but nothing has changed, it is possible that it is really due to any bugs on the versions after 5107, (as I read from @Stork)?

As always, thanks for the passion and the work that you experts put on all the "creations"

Edit:
With some time that I let go to read the panic report and write this post, AMPLibraryAgent went back to normal by itself, so maybe it was just me who didn't give him time to finish what he had to do. After the panic, that 100% never noticed before and for a time longer than a few minutes, it seemed to me an oddity that required rebooting, the first time and then, seeing that it returned to normal on reboot, I thought it was really like that, instead now he denied me ... better this way, one less problem. :)

Attachments

• panic_after_sleep.zip
    3.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
@pastrychef hey, I am in need of help once more :oops:. I did fresh install of Mojave 10.14.6 and only way I got it working is when I enable iGPU. I'd like to use PEG only (Vega 56), I am not sure if iMac 18.1 or any other setting I have on clover-plist are anywhere near as the suppose to :(. So I would be really really glad if You could please take a look at my EFI I have attached and make changes that would make this mackintosh alive and kicking. At the moment I have all 3 monitors working but only when using iGPU, as soon I turn it to PEG in bios, it does not boot to os (black screens). My goal is to use BM davinci resolve and FCPX.

Be well and thank You in advance,
PK

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    17.1 MB · Views: 70
Back