Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got same thing on my RX480, just before login screen in a moment sound of max fan speed comes from case and everything works fine. I think it is just driver have loaded and just trying the fan :) or something similar, because there is no this "issue" when driver is not loaded (during installation of sierra or post installation steps).
That is what happens when acceleration is enabled. If you don't hear it you will not have acceleration.

That is what happens when acceleration is enabled. If you don't hear it you will not have acceleration.
Masterquestion: 2 out of 10 times I don't hear the fans. How can I "test" if I have acceleration. To me, it looks so normal (in terms of resolution, heat, "about this Mac", etc.).

And why does it sometimes spin up and sometimes not...

Thank you in advance.

I don't know how it is with an AMD video card. I haven't used one in many, many years. But with an Nvidia video card, I have never witnessed an instance where it boots up without acceleration when the Nvidia web drivers are working.

You can easily tell if QE/CI are working by looking at your Dock. When it is NOT working, the background of the Dock will be white. When it is working, its gray and/or translucent.

Last edited:
Masterquestion: 2 out of 10 times I don't hear the fans. How can I "test" if I have acceleration. To me, it looks so normal (in terms of resolution, heat, "about this Mac", etc.).

And why does it sometimes spin up and sometimes not...

Thank you in advance.

There were probables with the RX 4xx cards and acceleration but don't remember what they were but if you didn't hear the fans ramp up on boot there was know acceleration. If you go in search of @Gigamaxx he is the expert for AMD RX 4xx GPUs.

I don't know how it is with an AMD video card. I haven't used one in many, many years. But with an Nvidia video card, I have never witnessed an instance where it boots up without acceleration when the Nvidia web drivers are working.

You can easily tell simply by looking at your Dock if QE/CI are working by looking at your Dock. When it is NOT working, the background of the Dock will be white. When it is working, its gray and/or translucent.
Hi pastrychef,

Thx a lot for your advice. Will check it out. My build is very stable ( thx to your and Stork's help), but when some things work and sometimes not... I start to get nervous.

I know... it's very unfair towards the Hackintosh build, because I sometimes got my "regular" Mac to it's knees, too. It's easy to forget it.
;-)

You can easily tell simply by looking at your Dock if QE/CI are working by looking at your Dock. When it is NOT working, the background of the Dock will be white. When it is working, its gray and/or translucent.
It's gray. But today, the ugly "Apple Screen empty bar reboot" thing is back.
After 1x reboot loop...the system went back online as if nothing happens.
Strange, I start believing, my build has a hidden soul....

Good thing... after disabling the Asus power surge option in BIOS, the sudden reboot issue has disappeared.... :thumbup:

Any BIOS beyond 2202 and you will lose native NVRAM support. That means you will need to install EmuvariableUEFI-64 and the RC scripts.

Hi all,

still hunting down some "unusual" behavior of my build. I´m just comparing an old (Jan 17) config.plist backup with the actual one. It seems, that I (I don´t remember why) disabled the APIC fix. Do I need it nevertheless?
So far everything works (USB,FW,Lan,WIFI, etc.).

The last days, when I boot my system, I hear no GTX howling, but the dock is grey and the fans are spinning.
Strange...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back