Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Stork,

Thank you very much for the detailed writeup! I have the same components as you however currently running without a GPU. Just wanted to say everything installed perfectly. Cheers again!

Hi Stork,

Thank you very much for the detailed writeup! I have the same components as you however currently running without a GPU. Just wanted to say everything installed perfectly. Cheers again!
Good to hear. How's the HD530 treating you? Did you follow tonymacx86's HD530 tips thead in the Graphic forum section?

So I got a build very similar to this up and running yesterday but I've run into a few problems, first off, I can't connect my magic mouse and apple wireless keyboard. I could see my magic mouse but when I press pair, it immediately sends me to the BIOs. I am using an IOGEAR Bluetooth adapter (GBU521) Also, when I put the computer to sleep, it shuts everything down and the only way to get the computer running again is to switch off my power supply then reset the motherboard. And finally, whenever I restart the computer, it boots me into the BIOs instead of Sierra. Is there any way to fix these problems? Thanks.

Edit: I figured out how to fix it

Last edited:
So...8 years since my last Hackintosh (it was a lot harder to put together a decent fully working build it those days...). and after this year keynote for the new MacBook "pro's" I decided to build myself a new one.

Specs:

Asus Maximus VII Hero
Intel 6700k
Nvidia Geforce 980ti
64gb DDR4
ssd 2x250gb
Tp-link wireless card.

I found your build, which was pretty much the same, and excellent step by step. I followed it to the letter :D....

And boy this thing just flies and it is sooooo stable. No black screens, no kernel panics, nothing. Basically everything works. EVERYTHING! I even got dual boot working with no problems at all.

I just wanted to say thank you! :D

Good to hear. How's the HD530 treating you? Did you follow tonymacx86's HD530 tips thead in the Graphic forum section?
How this is possible same compoments, nothings is right ;P

So I got a build very similar to this up and running yesterday but I've run into a few problems, first off, I can't connect my magic mouse and apple wireless keyboard. I could see my magic mouse but when I press pair, it immediately sends me to the BIOs. I am using an IOGEAR Bluetooth adapter (GBU521) Also, when I put the computer to sleep, it shuts everything down and the only way to get the computer running again is to switch off my power supply then reset the motherboard. And finally, whenever I restart the computer, it boots me into the BIOs instead of Sierra. Is there any way to fix these problems? Thanks.

Edit: I figured out how to fix it
Share your fix(s). That's what this forum is about. :thumbup:

is there a difference if i have a formula board instead of a hero? waiting for your sierra guide i do have broken el capitan on my ssd right now and i can't fixed it :( i lost hope and want to re install a fresh copy of sierra

Looks good!

I've been thinking about using it for work (I'm an Audio Engineer), since I need a decent CPU and lots of RAM. How is the compatibility with audio drivers?
Could I use the build for that?

Cheers

Can I follow these steps if I buy another z170 motherboard, same processor (6700k), use non M.2 samsung 850 SSD, Noctua cpu cooler and ballistix sport DDR4 ram?
I've never built a hackintosh before. I'm trying to get a good step-by-step tutorial, but I'm worried to loose tooooo much time with trials and errors.
I'm trying to balance the specs I can find in my country with a less stressful build. :banghead:

Thanks for your help and attention!

is there a difference if i have a formula board instead of a hero? waiting for your sierra guide i do have broken el capitan on my ssd right now and i can't fixed it :( i lost hope and want to re install a fresh copy of sierra
I don't know as I'm not familiar with the Formula motherboard. However, after looking at the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide, Motherboard section, I can see that the GENE, HERO and FORMULA motherboards have the same Ethernet and audio chipsets. So, you can probably use MyHero guide.

I've been thinking about using it for work (I'm an Audio Engineer), since I need a decent CPU and lots of RAM. How is the compatibility with audio drivers?
Could I use the build for that?
I would think so. I have audio monitor speakers and use GarageBand for recording my practice sessions. Works OK, but I'm not an "Audio Engineer", just an AeroSpace Engineer.

Can I follow these steps if I buy another z170 motherboard, same processor (6700k), use non M.2 samsung 850 SSD, Noctua cpu cooler and ballistix sport DDR4 ram?
I've never built a hackintosh before. I'm trying to get a good step-by-step tutorial, but I'm worried to loose tooooo much time with trials and errors.
I'm trying to balance the specs I can find in my country with a less stressful build.
First, your MultiBeast Ethernet and audio choices will probably be different.

Second, make sure the memory's make and model number is listed on the motherboard's Memory Support List (name changes with motherboard manufacturer) and with the Crucial's Ballistix Sport memory motherboard support list.

Third, make sure your power supply is Haswell "ready" or "certified"; all processors since Haswell (including Skylake) have lower power use in idle and can cause the power supply to shut down if it's not a newer power supply.

Finally, once you decide on your motherboard (and before you buy it and checked to see if the audio and Ethernet chipsets have drivers in MultiBeast), check the forum's User Builds and Sierra Desktop Guides sections for a similar motherboard system.

The above recommendations should help make for a successful installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back