Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you check here for any solutions?
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/big-list-of-solutions-for-el-capitan-install-problems.173991/

If that doesn't work, try re-downloading El Capitan again. From where did you originally download it?

Thanks again Stork, I did look for solutions there, am still looking, but everyone so far has been able to get the installer started at least... many lines in verbose mode to tackle as a problem. I downloaded El Capitan from the app store when it came out originally. I save all the install files... I could try re-downloading it.

Yes, redownload as the installer will install 10.11.6.

Did you check here for any solutions?
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/big-list-of-solutions-for-el-capitan-install-problems.173991/

If that doesn't work, try re-downloading El Capitan again. From where did you originally download it?

Thanks for that Stork, I downloaded the updated El Capitan and that did it, started installing... it installing now, I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for your time and insight, great to have your support. Can't wait to get this beast up and running :headbang:

Thanks again Stork, I did look for solutions there, am still looking, but everyone so far has been able to get the installer started at least... many lines in verbose mode to tackle as a problem. I downloaded El Capitan from the app store when it came out originally. I save all the install files... I could try re-downloading it.
Finished the install following your instructions to the letter... missed a couple things so I ended up doing the install 3 times just to make sure I didn't miss anything... did a Geekbench to get the score after the third time, here are the results. Now it's tweaking time... :thumbup: I am thrilled with this build, your assistance was invaluable. Thanks again

Geekbench4_AsusHeroVIII_i7_4GHz.png

You're welcome. Have fun! :)

Now, since Sierra is not supported on a Mac Pro 3,1, I recommend you change your SysDef to an iMac 14,2. :thumbup:

Now, since Sierra is not supported on a Mac Pro 3,1, I recommend you change your SysDef to an iMac 14,2. :thumbup:
Will do, I still have to do the iMessage setup and move my 4 HDDs into my Phantek Enthoo Luxe case so I will change it then. Put the 2m LED strip in the case, it looks awesome!! :headbang:

Thanks so much for the write-up @Stork! I actually followed the Gene Build not realizing that you had a thread specifically for the Hero until I ran into problems and did more searching. I can not seem to get Ethernet to work, whatsoever. I have looked through both of your Gene and Hero builds and they seem to be exactly the same. Any thoughts on why Ethernet would not be working? Status is CABLE UNPLUGGED. I booted into Windoze to double check and it's working fine there. Thanks again.

EDIT
Disregard the previous statements. It was an issue with my hardware (router) and has been resolved. I am now running El Capitan smooth as ever. Thanks @Stork!

Last edited:

Hi Stork,

I am quite new to this, yet I want to install one system asap. I basically chose spec's from a web-based computer ascenvtech. I would really appreciate it if you could take a look at these spec's to see if your mac installation would work.

Looking forward to your brief reply.

Cheers,

Intel LGA1151 Motherboard:
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO LGA1151 DDR4
Intel Core I3 I5 I7 LGA1151 Processors:
Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz - 4.0GHz CPU
CPU Processor Fan:
HIGH SPEED - HEAVY DUTY QUIET RUN COOLER
THERMAL COMPOUND KITS:
None Selected
DDR4 288-PIN Desktop Memory:
16GB DDR4-2133MHz PC4-17000 RAM Memory
Hard Drive:
2-Terabyte 2000GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
Hard Drives - Solid State Drives:
256GB SSD SATA 2.5INCH SOLID STATE DRIVE
PCI-EXPRESS VIDEO CARDS:
nVidia GTX560 Ti 1.2GB DVI HDMI DP Card
SOUND CARDS:
Onboard Audio - Integrated Sound Card
NETWORKING:
Onboard LAN - Integrated Ethernet Card
TOWER CASES:
Thermaltake V4 Gaming ATX Midtower Case
House Brand Power Supplies:
650WATT Serial ATA PCIe ATX Power Supply
CASE COOLING FAN:
2x Case Cooling Fan 80mm (Regular Speed)

Hi Stork,
I did a BIOS update and lost my UEFI bootloader for OS X. Booted to OS X but lost all the settings for sound and igpu 530. I had one 1 TB disk with dual boot of Windows on it too. Tried to run MutiBeast again but it does not show an UEFI OS X in my Bios.
I have 2 new SSD coming to separate the OS systems for when Sierra is released and MultiBeast works as an installer.
Should I have removed disks before updating BIOS?

Vapour, the only advise I can give you is the following:

First, make sure your memory is on the HERO's memory qualified list.

Second, make sure your PSU is rated for Haswell or newer Intel processors.

Lastly, your GTX560 Ti graphics card is old. Get a newer graphics card. See the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide Graphics Card.

Iwagsz, Wow! Don't know how that happened to you. I've never had any problems updating the BIOS, and I never removed my disk drives when I updated the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back