Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated to the latest BIOS v2001, dated September 02, 2016, with the following notes: "Improve system stability." Yeah, yeah, yeah. :thumbup: I'm a thinking ASUS is slowly publishing a BIOS update getting ready to support Kaby Lake processors since they use the same socket as Skylake processors. But, that's just a guess on my part.
I just checked for my extreme board and no update. They punish me every time holding back the release for it.

I just checked for my extreme board and no update. They punish me every time holding back the release for it.
My GENE motherboard's BIOS is still on v1902. I'll just keep checking back daily with ASUS.

I have the Maximus VIII Ranger motherboard on my hack and a new BIOS is also available since 2nd of September. I am not in a hurry to upgrade as I haven't been having any serious board-related issue until now and I am not certain whether there will be any tangible benefits (with my current skylake processor that is).

I have the Maximus VIII Ranger motherboard on my hack and a new BIOS is also available since 2nd of September. I am not in a hurry to upgrade as I haven't been having any serious board-related issue until now and I am not certain whether there will be any tangible benefits (with my current skylake processor that is).
I have always had a good experience in updating the BIOS for my motherboards. So, consequently, I recommend the upgrades.

Might as well give the BIOS upgrade a try... can't hurt at this point... will let you know what happens when I try the install with the USB 2 key.

Hey @Stork, I'm having an issue getting my Intel 750 SSD to appear as an NVME device using this guide. I'm wondering if you possibly have some insight? I originally posted on insanelymac but that went south very quickly. I will copy and paste the content of that post directly here just in case you hold the same disgust for insanelymac as they apparently do for you guys.

I am attempting to install to an Intel 750 SSD 400 GB using Stork's Gene Build as a guide along with using RehabMan's patch-nvme tool. I am using El Capitan 10.11.6 and followed the instructions in the readme to a tee. I have not made any other changes. When booting OSX Installer and opening Disk Utility, I can not get the 750 SSD to appear as an Internal Drive. I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong. I am using a Macbook Pro running El Capitan v10.11.6 with the security update. I created the HackrNVMeFamily-10_11_6_sec2016-001.kext file (md5 good) and copied it to EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11.

EDIT: I have run the installer using the verbose flag and did not see any errors or warnings that were alarming.

I'm sorry about your experience at that other site. It's typical, and I'm not surprised to hear of your experience.

I'm also sorry about not being able to help you with your Intel 750 PCIe SSD as I do not have any experience with it. However, over at the OS X Driver for NVMe M.2 Solid State Drives Released. Unfortunately, that thread is large, so you'll have to search for posts that discuss the 750; I'd start with the latest page and work backwards using your browser's search to search each page for the 750. RehabMan is also active in that thread. Good luck!

Any news on 10.12 on this build yet @Stork?

Hi Stork, just tried creating the boot USB on a 16 Gb, Kingston USB 2.0 stick... no joy :thumbdown same error messages as before... we are in a lightning storm right now so I am going to wait to do the 2001 BIOS update and try again... any thoughts?

Hi Stork, just tried creating the boot USB on a 16 Gb, Kingston USB 2.0 stick... no joy :thumbdown same error messages as before... we are in a lightning storm right now so I am going to wait to do the 2001 BIOS update and try again... any thoughts?
Did you check here for any solutions?
http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/big-list-of-solutions-for-el-capitan-install-problems.173991/

If that doesn't work, try re-downloading El Capitan again. From where did you originally download it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back