Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check to see that your Front Panel header cable is plugged into the appropriate USB header(s). See pages 1-7/8 in your User Manual. Header #7 states "USB 3.0 connector (20-1 pin USB3_12; USB3_34)". The USB3_34 notation causes me concern this may exceed the 15 to 30 USB port increase. Try another head with USB labeling below 30

I will try today and report.
Normally the inject all kext should fire up every port you have. And it should work with USB3 AND USB2 speed. The SSDT will make it "safe" in the long run. But as Stork mentioned, first recheck the mobo headers...

A little excursion: a decade ago... I had trouble with my printer. So reinstalled the driver, reinstalled the whole system only to figure out in the end, that the usb cable was broken.

Normally the inject all kext should fire up every port you have. And it should work with USB3 AND USB2 speed. The SSDT will make it "safe" in the long run. But as Stork mentioned, first recheck the mobo headers...

A little excursion: a decade ago... I had trouble with my printer. So reinstalled the driver, reinstalled the whole system only to figure out in the end, that the usb cable was broken.

I checked the headers and are correct.
In windows (separate drive only for test) all the ports are working perfect.

I think lot of users never tried connect and disconect USB 3 ports. And sometimes,, like my case, USB3 works as 2.
A good test is try connect and disconnect two blue ports in the same session.

Totally agree that modified kext bring lot of problems to the system.

Last edited:
Make sure you're not using the GenericUSBXHI.kext. I recently updated my build description upon pastrychef's advice that the GenericUSBXHI.kext is no longer needed for Sierra. Check your hard drives /Library/Extensions/ folder to see if its there. If it is, delete it, run these two commands in the Terminal:
Code:
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches
and reboot.

I delete it. Same as before. One works. The others 3.0 maybe turn on the light of disks and pendrives but no disk mounted on desktop.

I've found an SSDT for this HERO VIII compiled in this thread, I don't know who is the author to write the name (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/asus-maximus-viii-hero.186125/).

I don't know if this is useful. Maybe need some work.

Attachments

• SSDT-USB-Maximus-VIII-Hero.aml
    886 bytes · Views: 129
  • SSDT-USB-Maximus-VIII-Hero.dsl
    5.9 KB · Views: 135
ammulder compiled a list of published SSDT-USB's in guides or User Builds. You can find the list of SSDTs for these motherboards at the end of his thread's Section 7. I'll be taking a look at it over the next couple of days to see if it works and what the drawbacks of using it are.

ammulder compiled a list of published SSDT-USB's in guides or User Builds. You can find the list of SSDTs for these motherboards at the end of his thread's Section 7. I'll be taking a look at it over the next couple of days to see if it works and what the drawbacks of using it are.
They work. But you first have to map out every single port. Once done, you need to "strip down" the ports to the 15 port limitation. The hardest part is to decide which one you put on ice. For me, it was most of the back ports, cause I don´t wanna creep under the table every time. And never forget.... USB3 ports count twice ;-)

Hi Stork,
Master question: Did it sometimes (once in 2-3 months) happen to your HERO build, that your Nvidia doesn`t load perfectly?
You have an resolution, which comes near an Amiga back in the 80s?

A few minutes ago, I recognized, that I have no DP audio anymore. No sound through my Cinema Display and the Preferences panel only shows the usual suspects (Internal Speakers, Line out, but no DP Audio to check).
After a simple reboot, I had this wired resolution. Reboot again, everything is back to normal.

So, is it a normal behavior (Hero build are humans, too) or something to start worrying about. Again, happens once in 2-3 months top.

best
Michael

Ok. This is the part that i cant do it. If someone has an Ssdt without 5 ports, i really appreciate the file. I accept wherever they decide select the ports off and on.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back