Contribute
Register

Stork's MyHero Build: ASUS ROG Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO - i7-6700K - GTX 980

Status
Not open for further replies.
....I cannot wait till my next build in a few years when this one shows signs of being outdated.....

Don't be too surprised in a few years as I doubt there will be a Hackintosh based on anything new from Apple at that point. IMO the writing is on the wall with Apple developing what is arguably the best microprocessor design team in the world. I see them unifying processors across their mobile and Mac lines in the very near future and this will surely put an end to all this cool hackintoshing. :(

I'm just about to pull the trigger on this board this weekend but I was also curious if you don't dual boot what color is the ROG eye on the board by default? Or is there a way to change it in the bios? Just curious! Any info regarding the lighting would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Well guys, add me to the list of people who benefited from Stork's guide. I pulled the trigger without much thought after seeing how detail Stork's guide is, thought I hasn't build any of for the pass 10 years, I spent two days building it, and the installation was last night, and I the whole process is easier than what I have imagine.

My motherboard is Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha, which was mistakenly ordered and I took it from the seller regardless.

I use the onboard video at this moment and notice some flickering when booted into Sierra's desktop. Other than that, graphic wise, I don't see much problem. I am still waiting the NVidia driver for the 10 series card before I get myself a nice display card.

Wifi + BT card is still on the way, probably will get it in a few days time.

Ultimately, I wish to make this machine a dual boot one, so I can do have another OS to test out software and games.

Oh, when I used the EFI mount, I saw some image inside the EFI drive. Is it safe to customize how the boot screen looks like? Haha

I'm just about to pull the trigger on this board this weekend but I was also curious if you don't dual boot what color is the ROG eye on the board by default? Or is there a way to change it in the bios? Just curious! Any info regarding the lighting would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Actually, even before I install any software, the ROG eye keep changing colour from one colour to another. Which looks kinda cool. :cool::cool::cool:

You can customize by changing the themes. Here are some: Theme database

Thanks for the info. :)

Thanks!
You can check in the User's Manual. (I don't have it handy.) The manual is available on-line as part of the motherboard's support/download tab.

Well guys, add me to the list of people who benefited from Stork's guide. I pulled the trigger without much thought after seeing how detail Stork's guide is, thought I hasn't build any of for the pass 10 years, I spent two days building it, and the installation was last night, and I the whole process is easier than what I have imagine...
LOL! I'm spoiled by my ASUS Z170 builds. The installation process was a almost a yawn.

My motherboard is Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha, which was mistakenly ordered and I took it from the seller regardless.
Good motherboard, too. Did you test the included WiFi/BT? I thought I read somewhere that it was compatible. (Well, maybe not as I see you ordered a WiFi/BT card.)

I use the onboard video at this moment and notice some flickering when booted into Sierra's desktop. Other than that, graphic wise, I don't see much problem. I am still waiting the NVidia driver for the 10 series card before I get myself a nice display card...
Welcome to the club. (Waiting and waiting and waiting...)

Ultimately, I wish to make this machine a dual boot one, so I can do have another OS to test out software and games...
See Going Bald's sticky thread guides in the Forum's Multi-Booting section > https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/multi-booting.153

LOL! I'm spoiled by my ASUS Z170 builds. The installation process was a almost a yawn.

Seriously, I think that I had it easy because I follow your steps like a robot. 90% of the time, I have no idea what I am doing. Especially the BIOS settings... lol :lol::lol::lol:

Good motherboard, too. Did you test the included WiFi/BT? I thought I read somewhere that it was compatible. (Well, maybe not as I see you ordered a WiFi/BT card.)

I have no tested them, going to actually..I was distracted because I just found out the other night, there is nothing on the mother board which I can connect to my aging Dell monitor. Hero Alpha has 1 x HDMI, 1 X Displayport, My Dell has VGA + DVI.
:crazy::crazy::crazy: So yesterday, I was hunting for a new LCD (my excuse :p, I did get myself HDMI to DVI cable), then....as I now have a huge CPU I want to put on my desk, I have to clean up my desk, probably getting myself a clamp type Display Mount. :p

Btw, my casing is Cooler Master MasterCase Maker 5 http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mid-tower/mastercase-5/
Huge casing.

And, I bought the WiFi/BT card, because I read in your steps and you had one. So I went and ordered one. Will try the Wifi/BT later. :)

I never did post pics of the final but here they are.

Edit working on getting the pictures to show right instead of sideways. Sorry.

Attachments

• 20160825_153216869_iOS.jpg
    20160825_153216869_iOS.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 138
  • 20160825_153211802_iOS.jpg
    20160825_153211802_iOS.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 127
Last edited:
I never did post pics of the final but here they are.

Edit working on getting the pictures to show right instead of sideways. Sorry.

Nice one!!!! Except that I have got to tilt my head counter clockwise 90 degreee to see your rig. :lol::lol::lol:

And you even have the "Hackintosh" Word up there. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: I am not that creative, I leave everything at its simplest form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back